Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • laptop wifi not working without a reset ?? Windows 10 content!
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

PC geek STW’ers……. my laptop has recently been upgraded to Win 10 … which I’m very happy overall with … except that working on ethernet cable to access network is fine…. but on wifi it either sees no network or sees the wifi and shows as connected…. but wont access internet.

However running the windows network troubleshooter cures it every time…… until the next reboot anyway!

I’ve downloaded updated drivers for the network adapter…… no difference –

Any of you guys got any suggestions what next ? It must be software related somehow ?

Cougar

Might just be a case of waiting for better drivers. Pull up device manager, right-click it and tell it to update maybe? There might be a different driver on Windows Update.

Long shot but, reboot the router?

scaredypants

CAUTION – guesswork within:

maybe uninstall the adapter in device mgr & then rescan for hardware ?

mattyfez

I’m guessing but I agree, network driver sounds most likely.. If you’re getting problems with the network driver’s as per windows update, try going to the manufacturer of the NIC and see if they have a more up to date driver that works or maybe drop them an email of you get no joy.

It may be simply a windows issue, in which case hopefully Microsoft will fix it.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’ve uninstalled from device manager and rescanned to find new …….. And updated driver from Intel…… But not made any difference !

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I would try a live Linux USB stick, see how well the wifi does or doesn’t work under Linux, helpful to see if the issue is hardware or software related.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

iPad and phone are OK on same wifi …. Just that laptop…. Which I forgot to say does the same thing on both office and home wifi …. Whatever it is gets fixed by the Windows network troubleshooter … But it doesn’t say what exactly it’s fixing ……

paulmgreen
    Free Member

after some google searching …. very odd but changing power management settings apparently fixes the issue!!!!!!

JulianA
    Free Member

paulmgreen – Member
    after some google searching …. very odd but changing power management settings apparently fixes the issue!!!!!!

Would you care to elaborate on that please PMG? It would be much appreciated!

Apparently a W10 issue – I had it with a Surface Pro 4 and on factory reset it crashed completely – heard a few other horror stories. However, now typing on a new replaced W10 Surface Pro 4

paulmgreen
    Free Member
    scaredypants

JulianA – I’m guessing he means something like this, maybe

Cougar

As an aside, I’ve had nothing but problems from NIC power saving. Exactly how much power are you saving on a network card? Bugger that. Causes murders and saves the square root of sod all.

JulianA
    Free Member

Thanks PMG and SP. Useful stuff.

I’m now wondering if changing the power settings might prevent SQL Server from being stopped regularly… I have to start the SQL Agent every time I wake the laptop.

lovewookie

I have a similar problem with both laptops in the house. disable/enable on the wifi in network connections does the trick.PITA, but I’ll try something else to fix.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘laptop wifi not working without a reset ?? Windows 10 content!’ is closed to new replies.