Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Laptop res rant : 1366 x 768
  • Earl
    Free Member

nope mine was 1600×900 out of the box.

If you google around the T420 did come with 1366×768 as well so make sure you didn’t get one of those.

The only thing I really had to do was a windows update to take Win7 sp1. Also I took the optional windows updates that said ‘leveno’ – specifically in regards to the touchpad as 2 finger scrolling wasn’t smooth. Updates applied – it smooth now.

My B grade looks super good as well. Faint shine on the del/rtn/sft/space keys. My 8 month old chrome book is looking more worn.

Other thing is I havent popped the back off to look at the hdd to check if its 7200, if its not then I’ll be chuffed as it will mean its even faster when it is – if that makes sense….

verses

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll give Scan a ring and see what’s what.

There’s a bundled Lenovo toolset, if you load that one of the tools is a hardware check. In there it gives you details of the Disk, mine’s def 7200.

Earl
    Free Member

cool i’ll do that check.

midlifecrashes

I bought the ebuyer one, waiting for the slow(free) delivery to arrive, I’m too cheap to pay for nextday service.

D0NK

Yep – sat in front of a Dell less than 1 year old – the highest resolution I could find – 1920×1080. In my workshop is an old Dell, the best part of 10 years old and it has a resolution of 1920×1200

curiously I’ve just had to “fix” someone’s desktop, it had happily been pumping out 1920×1200 for a year or two and suddenly decided 1920×1080 was the max it would do.

verses

Bums… Scan customer services have been back in touch and have said the website was wrong (now updated).

I can only assume they got a mixed batch and hadn’t realised. You (Earl) we’re lucky enough to get a higher-res one.

They say I can return for a refund if I want, or keep it.

Not 100% sure what to do. The high res wasn’t the be-all and end-all, but it would have been very nice to have…

molgrips
    Free Member

happy to be proved wrong but I’ve never come across a laptop panel with a foo*1080 display.

Two out of three laptops in my house are 1920×1080 🙂

Cougar

Really? Definitely running at native res? Are they fruit-based devices?

1920×1200 is WUXGA, 1920×1080 isn’t any sort of standard I’ve ever come across (except on a TV).

chambord
    Free Member

It’s “FHD

EDIT: Yes it came about for TVs, but my Dell 2409w is 1920×1080 and newer thinkpads (T440) have an FHD option.

molgrips
    Free Member

Really? Definitely running at native res? Are they fruit-based devices?

This is a Lenovo W520, from work

And the other is a 5 year old HP HDX18 that’s currently in bits awaiting the completion of its refurbishment.

Cougar

It’s “FHD”

EDIT: Yes it came about for TVs, but my Dell 2409w is 1920×1080 and newer thinkpads (T440) have an FHD option.

I know it’s FHD, I’ve just never seen it in a laptop. Every day’s a school day, cheers both.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Verses,

I ordered one of the T420’s which arrived today. It’s got a 1600×900 screen, but the viewing angles are not great – you have to angle the lid just right. If the lower res screen seems pretty good and the rest of the laptop is in good nick I’d probably say stick with it.

Mine has a 7200 rpm hard drive too and I’ve checked the battery and it says 93% of original capacity. The case on mine is definitely B grade. It looks like it has been chucked across the car park, but that’s ok; it will live in the kitchen where the kids have finally finished off my 2006 Macbook pro and I expect it will regularly get knocked off the table…

verses

Thanks for comments.

I’m disappointed to have the lower-res, but it was a nice-to-have rather than an essential and it’s still a pretty good bargain, especially considering the condition it’s in.

So I’m leaning towards keeping it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I know it’s FHD, I’ve just never seen it in a laptop.

? most higher res laptops have used this for several years – Dells, Sonys, etc. and 1920×1200 has disappeared in about the same timeframe 🙁

Cougar

I ordered one of the T420’s which arrived today. It’s got a 1600×900 screen, but the viewing angles are not great – you have to angle the lid just right.

Anecdotally, mine’s not like this (16×9 T420). The only time I find that I have to fiddle with the vertical viewing angle is to get the best view of the picture when playing DVDs.

? most higher res laptops have used this for several years – Dells, Sonys, etc. and 1920×1200 has disappeared in about the same timeframe

Maybe that says more about the number of high-end laptops I’ve seen in recent times…!

verses

FYI, if anyone else is toying with the refurb Lenovo from Scan, buy from their Ebay shop rather than their own site as the postage is cheaper 🙂

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131306732432

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Laptop res rant : 1366 x 768’ is closed to new replies.