• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ji.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laptop Issue: keeps switching off when on battery – whats up??
  • dickie
    Free Member

My laptop has an issue – when on the battery it just switches off without warning.
    I get no low battery warning, it just switches off. It switched off on 46% battery last time.

Anyone have a clue what the issue is or is it in the settings?

Drac

Dud battery.

Loose connections on the battery compartment.

nairnster
    Free Member

Power settings?

Cougar

Probably a knackered battery.

Have a look to see if there’s some sort of conditioning or testing app. Usually can be found on the battery icon in the task bar, but will be manufacturer-specific.

z1ppy

as above it switching off or powering down?
    Does it say you haven’t turned the machine off properly when you next boot up? (or words to that effect)

TooTall
    Free Member

Getting hot? Are you using it on your lap and blocking the fan when this happens?

seosamh77
    Free Member

dud battery, it’ll probaly start switching of at 100% soon enough, buy a new battery.

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Found a battery checker in HP Support Assistant – it said the battery was fine but needed calibrating – charge to 99-100% etc.
    But the battery will only charge to 92% & the icon states ‘92% (plugged in, not Charging)’ with the mains lead in & on.

I pulled the lead out & it cut out in about 5 mins. Plugged back into mains, switched on – got a black & white screen stating windows shutdown incorrectly………..

Cougar

Can you run the calibration and just leave it overnight, maybe?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Mine dies at around 50% without warning. I’ll see if I can find that battery checker thing.

ji
    Free Member

My laptop deliberately only charges to about 90% – apparently this is better for the battery. It is a feature that can be over ridden in the settings somewhere.

And yes your battery is probably broken. Try googling your make and model number with battery problem and see what comes up. This gave a fix for a similar issues with a Sony laptop I had, which was a software issue (would only charge to 5% or so).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laptop Issue: keeps switching off when on battery – whats up??’ is closed to new replies.