• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by dux.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Laptop help needed
  • dux
    Free Member

Hi all. I need help with my laptop please. Its been running really slow for a couple of days now. I’ve done everything as i normally would but i’m no IT man. I have deleted cookies as i have been told to do this before (although i dont know what does)Restarted a couple of times aswell. Its very frustrating now so please help if you can

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

check how much room you have left on the drive that has your page file.

Delete any temporary files on that drive and uninstall anything not needed on that drive if space is tight.

then look at the size of your page file and see if it is the recommended size – which it might not be. It can be useful to set both upper and lower limits to the recommended size as well.

highclimber
    Free Member

Deletion of data/files does NOT increase computer performance. what slows it down are processes running in the background from programs you’ve allowed to run in the background. if you take a look at the processes running by CTRL+ALT+DEL and selecting task manager>processes it will show what is running and, more importantly, how much CPU power it’s sapping. if it’s a program you don’t recognise, find out what it is first (don’t just close it down as it might be important to your computer’s stability), close it and if possible delete or alter it to not start on booting.
    Run a spyware check.
    Defrag.

matt_outandabout

Make sure you don’t have two antivirus running
    Then:
    Spybot
    CC Cleaner
    Defraggler
    Report on results.

dux
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the help people. Deleted temp fies and cookies.

Highclimber-very unsure what i’ve deleted on there but was a big list so deleted the bigger files?

matt_outandabout-that really is just a lot of letters mixed together to me mate. Is a ‘defraggler’ really a computer term?

If i dont reply its because its logging me out quite often

Cougar

Malware scan.

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Download, update, run.

matt_outandabout

Google them – they are programs to download and use to clean up the computer.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Deletion of data/files does NOT increase computer performance. what slows it down are processes running in the background from programs you’ve allowed to run in the background.

There are many reasons a computer might slow down, and struggling to manage space in the page file rates very highly on that list. Hence if the drive hosting the page file is tight on space then deleting data/files DOES increase computer performance. I also suggested a fixed size which also helps performance.

terminating programs from the task manager is not really the best approach to take…

Cougar

There are many reasons a computer might slow down, and struggling to manage space in the page file rates very highly on that list. Hence if the drive hosting the page file is tight on space then deleting data/files DOES increase computer performance.

Whilst technically true, a) you’d get a warning if you were low on disk space, and b) I’d hazard that it’s reasonably unlikely with the size of disks in a modern system (unless you’ve tried to torrent half of the Internet).

I also suggested a fixed size which also helps performance.

Again, technically true, but in practical terms on a home PC the difference would be negligible at best.

dux
    Free Member

Ok i’ve used Piriform ccleaner and it says its deleted loads of files. I already had AVG anti-virus software and done a full computer scan which has come back clean.

This doesn’t seem to have had much effect though, is there anything else i can do or have i missed something obvious, albeit not to me.

Any help would be great thanks
    DUX

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Laptop help needed’ is closed to new replies.