Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Laptop for 9yr old
  • mudmuncher

Anyone have any suggestions? Ideally under £300 for homework etc.

Also are the free alternatives to MS Office any good? Libreoffice etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

Chromebook with supervised user

Google it.

Basic hardware for £150

mattyfez

Libre office is pretty good, unless you’re an excel guru or whatever, it is totally good, and it’s compatible with MS office documents.

Under £300 you’re better off going second hand, or getting a desktop. Does she really need a laptop?

mudmuncher

Really wanted one with a proper hard drive rather than cloud based as our internet is very slow.

mattyfez

I’d rule out chromebook in that case. They are annoyingly restrictive anyway.

mudmuncher

Under £300 you’re better off going second hand, or getting a desktop. Does she really need a laptop?

Would prefer a laptop as it takes up less space. Doesn’t need to be lightening fast. I noticed a few in PC world around £300, just wondered if anyone has an recommendations

mattyfez

In that case, note down the specifications of the PC world one, and then look at ebuyer/CCL etc. to see if you can get better from one of the big online retailers.

mudmuncher

My local sainsburys is doing this acer laptop for £149

https://www.acerdirect.co.uk/p/1116652/a1-refurbished-acer-aspire-es1-431-p65j-intel-pentium-n3700-1.6ghz-gb-500gb-14-windows-10-black-laptop?gclid=COO2gNTI29ACFRMUGwode_UI1g

Looks pretty good value, but is 2GB ram enough?

It’s also new not refurb bed as in the link and is available in store

dannybgoode

Does the battery need to work or will it essentially be plugged in. If the latter I have an old but perfectly serviceable Dell 15″ somethingorother that you can have for £60 posted.

Battery is knackered but other than that I’m happy to give it a once over and check it’s working.

Email in profile if interested-can send pics etc.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

you can use office web online https://www.office.com/

It might be cut down great when you are on the go and also have access to one drive.

andrewreay

Just bought something similar for my 8 year old. Went to Laptops Direct and got an i3 Lenovo with 128GB SSD for about £280 quid.

It’s since arrived and is fine. Screen not amazing and quite plasticky, but far better than the tat that PCWorld were doling out for more money.

We have a home version of MS Office which includes licences for 5 machines, so Office cost us nothing as we were paying M$ anyway.

I’d definitely take a look at Laptops Direct again if I was after similar.

dannybgoode

I’ve used Laptops Direct a few times and never had a problem with them. Always been very good…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Laptop for 9yr old’ is closed to new replies.