Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Laptop buying – which graphics card to run a seperate large screen monitor ?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I want a laptop to plug into a large separate monitor (21 or 23 inch) for processing large multilayer Photoshop and Lightroom files.

The ones on my possible list generally have a choice of 2 graphics cards (listed below). I think the 540 card might have a faster on board processor (?) but it has slower refresh rates and different non interlaced specs. Both cards have the same memory.

Anyone know which would be best choice to handle the large PC screens? I don’t want to limit myself too much as this laptop will have to last for several years as its quite an investment for me. Thanks.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-525m-us.html
    Laptop manufacturer says this gives
    Max Resolution: 2,048 x 1,536
    Max Refresh Rate: 100 Hz
    Non-interlaced resolution with max refresh rate: 1,920 x 1,200

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-540m-us.html
    Laptop manufacturer says this gives
    Max External Video Modes
    Max Resolution: 2,048 x 1,536
    Max Refresh Rate: 85 Hz
    Non-interlaced resolution with max refresh rate: 1,600 x 1,200

Gribs

The 540M is slightly faster in terms of processing power. The max resolution/refresh rate is a non issue as you only need 60hz to drive a modern LCD panel and any laptop from the last 5 years should be able to drive a 24″ panel. Rather than the actual graphics chip I’d be looking for one with Dvi or Hdmi outputs rather than vga.

Cougar

For static images, I’d be surprised if it makes any practical difference either way TBH.

They’re ostensibly the same adapter, far as I can see, just with the 540 having a core clocked about ~10% faster.

Cougar

I’d be looking for one with Dvi or Hdmi outputs

Good point, well made.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I am very behind on hardware info. Any other things I should look out for re the display while we are on the subject?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Laptop buying – which graphics card to run a seperate large screen monitor ?’ is closed to new replies.