Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • laptop advice (sony vaio content)
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

My gf has to buy a pc laptop and as airy fairy mac users we're not so hot on the processors used in them. She's narrowed down to 2 sony vaios: this one and this one

the more expensive one has a faster processor and some other bells and whistles but aside from a translation application (trados) it;; mostly be watching films (for work!) and using word documents so i dont think she;ll need a heavy duty processor-thoughts opinions and flamings welcome!

prob be tomorrow before get back online as the gyppo who rented our house before us ran off with virgins* kit and they wont hook up internet for a while.

*company not a local girl

coffeeking
    Free Member

While this may throw a spanner in the works (or may not, depending on your reasons) Sony laptops are priced like macs but without the technological/software difference from normal laptops.

BlingBling
    Free Member

VGN-NS30Z is better, the graphics chip is also superior which may make a difference if you are watching films on it.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Im typing this on an NS20Z/S which WAS the top model in the NS range until the NS30`s came along. Im more than happy with it. At first I bought a Dell Studio which was truly awful so got returned.

Sonys are a little overpriced but I think the build quality IS worth paying the extra for. Still not mac quality but nice and sturdy.

I manage all my Uni work on here (Word, AutoCad) and also run quite a bit of DJ software without a problem.

porterclough
    Free Member

I've got a Sony VGN-NS30Z at home and it's lots better than the Dell I have for work – the Dell cost more.

I got the Sony for the build quality, it looks and feels well put together, and it had better (future proof) wifi than many similar laptops I looked at, good processor, RAM and good size hard disk. Also I have a Sony camera, so the memory stick pro slot is handy.

However be aware if you are an itunes user, don't use the Sony Music Box software at any point, it messes up itunes (though hopefully the latest itunes has fixed this).

aracer
    Free Member

Sony laptops are priced like macs but without the technological/software difference from normal laptops.

Really? How much would you pay for a Core 2 Duo (only T5550 1.83GHz, but still a C2D), 15.4", 3GB, 200GB, GF 8400M GT from a better value manufacturer? If you give me a bid I'll tell you how much I paid for the Vaio I'm typing on with that spec.

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

Had to send my Vaio (FZ21Z) back to Sony twice recently due to the widely reported graphics chip problems. Its been a bit of a nightmare to be honest though to be fair other manufacturers have had the same problem. It took Sony a very long time to acknowledge the issue though.

I've bought 8 Vaios over the past few years for my business but I dont they are actually that great – trouble is that arent that many decent alternatives.

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

>> GF 8400M GT

Oh dear. How long have you had it?

aracer
    Free Member

Why? How much worse than Intel integrated graphics is that? 🙄

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

If you read my post above you will see that I've had to send mine back twice as the GPU failed after 15 months (its still with them at the moment). A widely reported issue with these chips apparently but one that Sony have only very recently acknowledged

See http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=96103

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers for all the responses, trados has to run on a pc hence going for pc over a mac and sony, as said, seems decent robust if pricey choice. ill keep an eye on here but prob go for the cheaper on what ive read here, ta

aracer
    Free Member

OIC – only 9 months old. If it's a known fault then I presumably don't have to worry too much about it going when it's out of warranty (have had very good previous experience of Sony warranty on other things).

fontmoss
    Free Member

just realised evel's model is 20z not 20e…ach well maybe itll be ok too 😀

MRanger156
    Free Member

Sonys are worth the money IMO – good build quality and very nice to use.

BlingBling
    Free Member

bristolsurfer as you know the problem was the NVidia gfx chip and even they refused to admit it was an issue for a very long time.
    I guess Sony had to whip NVidia very hard and have them agree to compensate before they came out with their statment.
    Sony service is normally excellent.

VGN-SR19VN here and very happy :mrgreen:

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My daughter just bought a laptop and looked at the Sony's, but in the end went for this one
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Qosmio-F50-12W/1066095/toshibaShop/false/

Been excellent so far, brilliant sound too and Toshiba UK were doing them with 200 quid off with free delivery.
    Also comprehensive extended 2 year warranty for 50 quid extra which included collection and return

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘laptop advice (sony vaio content)’ is closed to new replies.