Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty – Why Shouldn't I?
  • backhander
    Free Member

If you don’t like what I wrote, don’t **** read it or keep your mouth shut?

alex222
    Free Member

mondraker foxy?

rewski
    Free Member

You having a go at the french now?

fbk
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy

Hmmm – hadn’t really considered them, although they look quite DH orientated for a 140mm bike.

slowrider
    Free Member

i bought a 714 recently. its great but the stock setup really didnt suit me. i was coming off a spicy so it was always going to feel a little steep i suppose. that was easily rectified with a set of offset bushings but then you have to be more precise with the shock pressure to avoid pedal strikes as it lowers the bb a bit.

coming off fox 36’s to 32 qr15s was a bit disappointing too, quite flexy really. so much so that ive ordered some float 36’s and ill drop them to 140mm. that means changing the wheels too, which are a bit skinny for my liking, anything over 2.1 was way too pinched.

the bar and stem are too narrow and long and the stock tyres are xc race weight. the brake levers dont dial in far enough so ive had to bend them in a vice.

despite all these practical hassles i cant speak highly enough of the potential of the bike. loads of stock bikes have exactly the same spec issues so its not really a negative, just something to bear in mind. the frame is clearly a wolf in sheeps clothing, just takes a bit of fettling. a frame only option would be ace.

chakaping
    Free Member

coming off fox 36’s to 32 qr15s was a bit disappointing too, quite flexy really. so much so that ive ordered some float 36’s and ill drop them to 140mm. that means changing the wheels too

Should have got a Rev RLT Ti with 20mm maxle lite.

When I sold mine I think the only original parts were the front mech and seized BB.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Fbk- they probly beefed the frames up for the elite riders! 💡 😆

MentalMickey
    Free Member

flow – Member
    I thought about buying one but the cracking frame issue and poor warranty service pute off. Have a look on lappiere owners club forum and search for cracked frame, there are an unbelievable amount.

Talking of which, here’s a story I just read telling of the opposite.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12775399

Get a Trek instead. 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

chakaping, considered those actually but dont know anyone with any to try out so played it safe and went for ones i know i like. ive saved a bit of weight elsewhere to offset the forks so its all good

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t mean to sound bossy, I’m sure it’ll be ace with the 36 on such a light frame – especially slackened off a bit.

Put some pics up when finished.

rewski
    Free Member

Yep Trek have lifetime warranty on most frames, they replaced and are currently replacing a snapped frame, third time.

Gachet
    Free Member

A friend of mine had a 2009 514 that cracked around the bottom bracket shell, the aluminum looked very thin in that area to me. I’d go for the Spicy over the Zesty as it has a conventional screw-in bottom bracket and the Fox 36 Floats are fantastic forks, plus it’s not that much heavier.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think they’re the nicest looking full suspension bike I’ve seen and the ride is meant to be amazing too. I wouldn’t get one though because of the issue with breakage. They don’t look that strong either which is probably why they look so nice and elegant like.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Interesting that those that have a Zesty and have ridden them think they are brilliant bike but those that haven’t ridden them are very negative. Go with those that actually have the bikes opinion would be my advice. Rest is just uninformed comment. No basis other than second hand forum posts.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 314 Zesty and it’s ace does everything.

I post a lot on LOC too and yes there have been issues but then that is really a minor amount to the number of owners out there, usual thing of if you get a bad bike you tell a thousand people, get a good one and no one believes you.

The 2011 Zesty looks amazing tapered head tube, fatter down tubes really nice.

flow
    Free Member

Backhander

Zip it

FBK I bought an Orange Five. I doubt you would like them though, very over rated. They ride awful, single pivot suspension is absolutely useless, being handmade in Britain is another obvious weakness….

backhander
    Free Member

Crawl back under your hole you little gobshite.

flow
    Free Member

😆 little, ok.

I hope we meet one day you opinionated little fraggle, you will wish you had a rock to crawl under.

backhander
    Free Member

EDIT, I’m not getting into this shit with a child. Those with big mouths are rarely very able. Internet toughguy.

fbk
    Free Member

😯 🙄

Think I’ll leave you guys to it.

popstar
    Free Member

Lapierre’s are like arseholes, everyone’s got one 😀

Even though, I’ve got one 314 and it’s great. Rear shock Float R is shit though as well as would like to have Bombers instead of fox’s upfront. The rest is top notch.

Northwind

I’ve seen more broken Fives than Zestys (or Meta 5s). Still would rather trust a Five tbh.

It’s this internet fundamentalism thing though… Truth’s always somewhere in the middle. Yes more Lapierres seem to crack than most brands. No it doesn’t mean they all crack or they’re only good for XC. Most are still out there doing their thing, no bother. But not many people start internet threads “My Zesty still hasn’t snapped”.

Likewise, just about anything can break. Fives certainly do, saw one snapped clean in half at Innerleithen a few weeks back. Alpines do. My mate’s 224’s cracked 3 times now, it’s more weld than frame. All bikes that people think are impervious to harm.

My own bike snapped in half. Might do it again. I forgave it last time though and it’s still better than a Zesty or a Five 😉

imnotverygood

Rule one of internet advice. The owner’s view is the only valid view 😕

nickegg
    Free Member

I had a Zesty 514…it broke…twice…i sold it!

mboy
    Free Member

will try the Bontrager’s after that if no joy.

I hope you don’t feel too special backhander, you’re not the only one flow has tried to start a fight with today! 😉

Anyway… On topic… Bicycles break… Sometimes… And sometimes they don’t! Some companies had a pretty poor reputation in the past, but have sorted it out for the most part (Cannondale, Commencal to name but 2). But on the whole this is why we have decent (note, not 2 years!) warranties on most bikes. Personally, the only 2 things that put me off Lapierre’s are that they’re pricey compared to much of the competition (though not the Orange 5), and you can’t buy the frame only. Other than those 2 things, I’d love one myself!

I’ve seen more broken Fives than Zestys (or Meta 5s).

Likewise… Though means naff all though to be fair, the number of broken 5’s I’ve seen may be totally disproportionate given the number that have been sold over the years… Or not… 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Ahhhh, can’t edit now… My post was meant to read…

EDIT, I’m not getting into this shit with a child. Those with big mouths are rarely very able. Internet toughguy.

I hope you don’t feel too special etc…

Silly me, highlighting but then not CTRL+C’ing!

stumpy01

Stumpjumper FSR’s are quite nice and might provoke a bit less, erm, debate……!! 😉

The 2011 Elite looks the bee’s knees (cue picture of a non-broken Spesh)…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yup I had stumpy. Great bike but not in same league ad Zesty. Strange cos it lead me to the Zesty. A lot of the angles are very similar. I liked the stumpy ride but wanted more. Stumpy just isnt as capable. But would still be on one if Zesty hadn’t come along. For the recordy Mark 1 ETSX70 broke after many years of use. Surprised really as RM had a rep for being north shore bomb proof.

slowrider
    Free Member

Chakaping, you didn’t it was good advice. Pics will follow…

stumpy01

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    Yup I had stumpy. Great bike but not in same league ad Zesty. Strange cos it lead me to the Zesty. A lot of the angles are very similar. I liked the stumpy ride but wanted more.

Interesting….I got a new Stumpjumper fsr last year – first year they upped it to 140mm. I wanted to demo the Zesty as well, but they were rarer than rocking horse poo poo.
    Rutland cycling said I could ride their one round the car park, but that was all & the only other one I could find to demo was in Edinburgh (6hr drive or so)…..!

To be honest, I don’t come near to the limits of the Stumpy, so probably best I didn’t go for a Zesty….!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Dont know where you from stumpy but try Nirvana cycles in Westcott, Dorking they usually have a Zesty demo bike and are only a few miles from Leith/Holmsbury which is a good area to try one out.

Kato

I’ve had a Zesty since November and think it’s just about the best bike I’ve ever owned

..not snapped yet either

catnash
    Free Member

One of our riding group has a 09 Zesty 514. Havent seen him for a while, the last time I saw him he had put a coil shock on it, remember it was from TF Tuned. I rode it before the coil shock and was impressed, but I was on a 06 S-works enduro so no comparison (That was more Spicy) For those ? wanting more than the normal Stumpie, go evo. best of both worlds.

FuzzyWuzzy

Mines been fine since I bought it middle of 09 and I’m around 100Kg kitted up and ride with absolutely no finesse and mine’s not cracked. Only thing I’ve had to replace through wear and tear is the BB, grips, chain and cassette, although I’ve also upgraded the shock, fork, wheels, headset, chainset, seatpost, saddle, bars and stem through choice :p

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Why get a Zesty when you can buy a perfectly capable and superb Trek Fuel EX 8?

Fuel Ex are astonishingly good bikes.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

”because it’s French”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BYRx7lLZf8

backhander
    Free Member

Fuel ex’s are steeper and have less travel for the same weight.
    Better spec though. The zesty seems more comparable with the remedy IMO.
    I’m contemplating a Zesty and have looked at all and test ridden quite a few (including a 5!!!!!)
    It seems that what I want doesn’t exist yet but the zesty is closest.
    5 year warranty settles my mind about any failures.

TomZesty
    Free Member

I’ve got one and its ace, like above 5 year warranty shows confidence. Its much like the orange 5 in that everyone seems to love or hate it. Mines ridden fairly hard and I’ve had no issues except after 8 months riding its getting ready for a new BB. If you’re buying one to upgrade/change nearly all the parts get the base model 214, its £1600 at Evans. Can’t understand people who buy the 314 or 514 (spending 600-1000 more) and then do exactly the same thing!

backhander
    Free Member

I’m really liking the stumpy evo and quite tempted. What does piss me off is we get this;

And the americans get this;

I know which one I’d rather have.
    Trouble is, I’m such a tart that it may well put me off buying the bike.

slowrider
    Free Member

Which model zesty are you looking at? On looks that spesh is nicer than the 514!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty – Why Shouldn't I?’ is closed to new replies.