Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty or Spicy?
  • aditude
    Free Member

I just moved to Switzerland and booked a 3 day Valais tour from Nendaz to Zermatt which I am told is mostly downhill. I am new MTB but keen to get into it and trying to decide between a Zesty 214 or Spicy 216 frame which are within my price range. The Zesty is 13.4kg but the Spicy is 14.9kg which I worry is on the heavy side.

First Q is if the Zesty will do the trick in the Alps? Hear the Spicy is more suited.

Second Q is if I should stretch my budget at get a Spicy 316 which is GBP450 more? Or if I should stretch it even further and pay GBP700 more for a Spicy 516 (2010 model) I found on sale.

Third Q is a general Q. The Lapierre size guide tells me I should be a medium frame but if I stand up when off the saddle, there is no clearance between the top bar of the frame and my crotch! Imagine there should be some space between or is that not an issue?

Thanks!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got a Zesty 714 so I may be bias. I don’t see that an extra few mm of travel is worth the extra weight. I don’t think you will be disapointed with ethier. Both great bikes Zesty is more trail endure am bike. Depends on what you like to ride. Make sure u get a rs reverb to go with them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if i was in your position, spending my own money, i’d get the zesty.

but i’d really try and get one with a pro-pedal shock, because it’s bloody great, and really does help to stop the suspension moving when you pedal.

the zesty and spicy are both very similar, i’m going to dare to suggest that as you’re new to mtb you probably won’t be hitting stuff (rocks, jumps, drops) hard enough to use the extra travel/strength of the spicy.

I rode a zesty around bourg st maurice for a week – it was really very good. Maybe it’s just me, but i find it harder to pick precise lines on a longer travel bike.

as for sizing, how tall are you?

mikey74
    Free Member

Funnily enough, when I was looking at them, I was thinking “what is the point of the Zesty?”: Yes, the Spicy does weigh a little extra, but I was happy to live with that because I felt that the Spicy was a more versatile bike.

As they have exactly the same suspension designs, I can’t see the spicy pedalling much worse than the Zesty. I actually test rode a Spicy, and took it on a 5 hour tour of the Surrey Hills with no problem

In the end I didn’t buy either as I went for a frame only option instead.

Give that the OP is based in Switzerland, I would definitely go for the Spicy, as it is perfect for big-mountain riding.

aditude
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

What exactly is trail endure AM and what advantage does a rs reverb give? As I live in Switz most of the trails I will be doing is in the mountains. Booked on this tour: http://www.otp.co.uk/mtb/MBK251.pdf

I won’t be a pro, but do hope to be hitting rocks, jumps and drops by the end of the summer. Can the Zesty handle that comfortably?

Not entirely sure what a pro pedal shock is but read reviews that the OST design prevents bobbing? I might be confusing terms but lower end models of Zesty and Spicy bikes have as the rear shock a Fox Float-R. More expensive models (516 up) have Fox RP2. Something new is boost valve but no clue what that is.

I’m 168cm so fit squarely between the small and medium frame! There is marginal space between you know what and the top tube on a Zesty medium frame but no room on a Spicy medium frame. Is that a problem?

Last Q is 15kg heavy (Spicy 216)? Or is it considered a minimal difference to 13.4kg (Zesty 214)?

Sorry for all the questions but really appreciate the responses.

oldfart

I bought a Spicy 316 last year for Whistler and was thinking i would be over biked back here in blighty but it’s been brilliant .It really shouldn’t climb like it does but it flatters me then when you point it down it just absolutely brings the biggest grin out imaginable .Check out the latest MBUK they said exactly the same thing .I was thinking of trading it in for a Zesty but shant bother now .

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

RS Reverb- adjustable height seatpost. Several on the market, Reverb the newest, most expensive and probably best (and no I dont own a reverb). Fox also releasing one soon. The sort of thing you use for a bit and think “how did i ever ride without it” but plenty of criticisers for their weight, reliability etc.

ProPedal is a lever on Fox shocks that when flicked stops the rear suspension from bobbing when you pedal. This is over and above any frame design claims. the Float R doesnt have it, the RP2 does (the P stands for ProPedal, the R in both means you can adjust the rebound damping ie how quickly the shock springs back). When youre new to full sus the biggest change to get used to is the bike bouncing under you as you pedal, seeming to absorb most of your effort. It bothers some more than others- Ive been riding full sus for ~15yrs and probably got used to it and have never used a lock out or Propedal function.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Not seen a spicy but the zesty, its very versatile and capable. The spicy I imagine is more of a bomber than an all rounder.

Maybe just me but I find longer travel bikes sluggish and wallow a bit in the slower technical stuff. Not so good if you want an all rounder.

15kg is getting on the heavy side but it depends how big your hills are. I rode a Kona Coiler in the UK but after moving to Spain found the weight (15.4kg) bloomin awful on long steep climbs so swapped out the bits onto my HCHT.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The Float R on my Zesty has a “Pro pedal” logo on ir, so I presume it has propedal, just that you can’t turn it off?

It does seem to pedal very well regardless though and good where you’d expect (i.e. downhill)

aditude
    Free Member

If I get the Zesty 214 to save money, would it fit a 160mm fork (FOX 36 Float R Open Bath) and RP2 rear shock if I want to upgrade in the future? Would that even make sense – don’t know how much difference 20mm of travel makes and if the Spicy is considered more suited to the Alps because of the forks or the frame itself? I plan to take the bike down mountains in Switzerland for fun but doubt I’ll be pushing it to limits by racing.

At the moment I don’t think I can tell the difference between Shimano FC / Alivio / Deore / SLX / Deore XT components. As I get more experienced will I want to upgrade? Or are the differences really down to just weight and durability?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If you start fitting 160mm forks to 145mm travel bike you will bork it’s handling. From you comments I suggest you start with zesty and work up. What bike do you ride now?

aditude
    Free Member

So are you saying the Zesty is designed for 140mm forks and getting 160mm will mess it up?

I don’t ride any bikes atm. I guess I wanted to try gauge what experienced riders think. Am pretty sure I will love even the basic components compared to the sheisse rentals I’ve ridden but don’t want to find myself down the line wanting to upgrade everything and spending more money upgrading than I would have getting a bike with better components to start off with.

With the ski season over am keen to replace snowboarding with something new here in Switz- hence MTB. Am confident downhill on a snowboard offpiste with powder to break wipeouts but mountain biking seems certifiably insane with errr rocks to break falls!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I would say a Zesty, but then owning one, I might be slightly biased.

I’ve changed the spec of it a fair bit and have settled on a set of 150mm forks, but wouldn’t want to go much longer. That combined with a short stem and wide bars makes it a bit of a ripper.

I’m taking mine to the Alps this year for the Mega, not even bothering with the DH bike, which is saying something for someone who rides and races a lot of downhill!

The Spicy to me is almost a ‘nothing’ bike. Too much travel and weight so ends up doing nothing particulary well. A well set up ~140mm bike I think is really the sweetspot for pretty much anything.

aditude
    Free Member

@ Hob nob: thanks I do like the look of the Zesty 214 personally in th electric blue but how would you upgrade it? From what I’m hearing I should consider 150mm forks (e.g.?), shorter stem (e.g. thomson elite x4), RP2 rear shox with lock out option and RS reverb seat post. Imagine all of that will push the price past a Spicy 516 (weighs the same as a Zesty 214 – 13.4kg) which I have found a 2010 model of on sale for GBP700 more than the Zesty 214 (2011).

Bregante

For what it’s worth, I’ve done a fair bit of riding in the Pyrenees on steep rocky technical trails. The last two times I went, the guides were on Zesty’s and believe me, they were more than capable.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maybe get used to MTB first before upgrades. You learn on the way what and how you like to ride. Zesty wil be plenty of bike for you. I think everyone would agree that its 90% rider 10% bike.

aditude
    Free Member

Cool thanks, appreciate all the responses so far which is a great help!

From what I am hearing the Zesty is perfectly capable but views mixed on if the Spicy is a more versatile bike overall (esp for Alps). Components (Alvio/SLX/Deore XT) are really down to durability and weight with increased performance only the more experienced riders will appreciate. Rear shocks without lock out will bother some riders who are used to hard tail but otherwise the Fox Float R is fine for most. Also, if I get the Zesty I cannot expect by adding 160mm forks in the future, it will be the same ride but better as the geometry is not designed for that extra travel (150mm forks however may work as one rider who posted a reply has upgraded to). Oh and if there is one thing I should get now, people are recommending the RS reverb seat post.

On that assessment, is there a great deal of difference between 140mm and 160mm travel? Also what is the view on forks that are adjustable “on the fly”? Is this a feature experienced riders want?

nickegg
    Free Member

I would go Spicy, they climb superbly and the weight difference over a Zesty isn’t much.

I took a Zesty 514 the Alps last summer….it was on it’s second swingarm already and came back with a cracked main frame!!! Where as our guide had no issues with her Spicy.

Don’t bother with an adjustable seat post. Utterly pointless in the Alps if you ask me!

mikey74
    Free Member

The spicy I imagine is more of a bomber

Complete and utter rubbish.

From what you say about riding rocks, jumps, drops etc, the Spicy is exactly what you are after.

The moment you start looking to stick forks on a bike that are longer than the bike is designed for, you have you ask yourself whether you have bought the wrong bike in the first place.

As I said, for big mountain riding, the Spicy is more versatile than the Zesty.

grum
    Free Member

Spicy. Both would bfittest but when/if you get more into it the Spicy will let you do more hardcore descents/jumps/drops etc with more confidence.

Oh and adjustable seatposts are amazing.

aditude
    Free Member

Weighing the pros and cons based on all your input.

If I go for the Zesty it will be the 214. If I go for the Spicy, will be between the 316 vs 516. Feel for the price, the Spicy 216 is heavy (15kg) and specs are lower than the 2010 model (+ Zesty 214) – e.g. Formula RX brakes replaced by AVID Elixir3.

Found the following sale prices:

– Zesty 214: GBP1343
    – Spicy 316: GBP1847
    – Spicy 516 (2010): GBP2127

mikey74
    Free Member

Surely the etxra price of the Spicy is worth it when you consider the potential upgrades you may wish to do to the Zesty. Especially when you consider that longer forks may upset the handling of the Zesty.

I very much doubt you will need to upgrade anything on the Spicy for a long time, and in practical terms, the extra weight of the Spicy will not be that noticeable once you are rolling.

One thing no one is mentioned, that I think is more important that travel, is the geometry: The slacker geometry of the Spicy will be more enjoyable on those long, steep, alpine descents than the slightly steeper Zesty.

Put it this way: I’d rather be over-biked than under-biked, particularly in the Alps.

stanfree
    Free Member

I dont want to hijack the thread but where are all the best deals on Zestys and Spicys as going to have some money to spend on a new bike at the end of the month . ?

aditude
    Free Member

Prices on Evanscycles were dropped last week and better than other retailers I’ve found. If you know any others do let me know! Being outside the UK, I do not have to pay VAT (20%) but will have to pay for shipping and import duties (8% for Switzerland).

Ewan
    Free Member

If you live in the alps get an alps bike… i.e. the Spicy. The zesty may cope for a week a year, but given you live there you may as well get a bike that will do better than cope.

I get he impression that a lot of the people giving advice here may not have ridden in the alps, or at least don’t do drops etc, all this talk of ‘plenty of bike’ is nonsense. Get the appropiate bike for the riding you’re going to be doing. If you’re going to be hitting drops by the end of the year you want something that’ll cope when you get it a bit wrong – if you’re just starting out you really want as much talent compensation as you can get, esp when mistakes may have consequences (i.e. punting yourself off the side of the swiss national).

To be perfectly honest if I lived in the alps I’d be riding something bigger than a spicy – you’ll get fit in no time if you’re riding up hill…

As for fit, the effective top tube length is the most important number. How tall are you? I’m 6ft and for a chuckable bike I look for a bike with an ETT of about 23inches give or take .5 inches. If you’re going to be getting into downhilling you may want something slightly longer.

aditude
    Free Member

Following Ewans comment about fit, can I ask forum members for views about frame sizes? Noticed the Lapierre bikes have a high top tube on their frames. Shop in town told me the Spicy medium frame I demoed was a good fit in terms of handle bar reach and extension to pedals however they remained mum on if stand over height was an issue (they didn’t have a small frame available). Basically there is no space to speak of between you know what and the top tube – shouldn’t there be clearance?? Imagine falling onto it is a common injury? 😯 Got a feeling the shop just wanted to shift what they have in stock at the expense of my err toolbox!! Actually heard its not important as the stem is more the culprit from potentially removing me from the gene pool… but not convinced ❓

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

As Aditude hasn’t ridden mtb except for a hire bike I think advising him to get out and ride would be more appropriate than discussing the differences between zesty and spicy? Suggesting future upgrades equally pointless as he has no experience to judge the merits of the advice. Sorry not flaming you but you are trying to run before you can walk. Why not a full on downhill bike?

aditude
    Free Member

Nah its cool. Fully conscious I’m trying to run before I can walk but thats why I’m asking for the collective knowledge of experienced riders. What would you guys go for? Just don’t want to find myself in the future wishing I had known more before making my purchase – aint cheap! Will try get some demo bikes out but not easy as shops here where I am don’t demo the bikes I am interested in and its still the ski season over here 😉 They tend to have Simplon, Trek and Cube to demo.

To answer your Q am not considering a full DH bike as am booked on 2 tours this summer which will involve the inevitable uphill so looking for some versatility. One is in the Valais region and the other in the Grand Massif. Otherwise I guess the plan is to bike in my backyard which is downhill trails through a forrest on a hill (mountain by UK standards) and in ski resorts like Engelberg and Laax which are nearby and have prepared MTB runs when you take chair lifts up.

Ewan
    Free Member

How tall are you?

aditude
    Free Member

168cm

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If you riding involves up hill then zesty is the way to go

Ewan
    Free Member

At 5ft 5 you’ll want a small or an extra small I should think. I’m 6ft and would ride medium.

BTW you want a (minimum!) of 3 inches between your top tube and your junk.

As others have pointed out, better to be over than under biked. Get the spicy…

robhughes
    Free Member

I bought a spicy frame off here last year after testing both of them.
    It,s been built up and comes in at 30lb dead and must say i love it.
    It,s just nice to know you have a stronger and more capable bike between you legs.You,ll never have to think…will this break if i do this.
    Even ride it on downhill courses.Not as fast as the bigger 200mm bikes but hey it still lives on 🙂

allmountainventure
    Free Member

The spicy I imagine is more of a bomber
    Complete and utter rubbish.

From what you say about riding rocks, jumps, drops etc, the Spicy is exactly what you are after.

The moment you start looking to stick forks on a bike that are longer than the bike is designed for, you have you ask yourself whether you have bought the wrong bike in the first place.

As I said, for big mountain riding, the Spicy is more versatile than the Zesty.

Just to clarify

bombing v. to ride with wild disregard to personal safety.

😀

martinxyz
    Free Member

Go for a 42cm.

aditude
    Free Member

The Zesty medium frame fits but the Spicy medium frame is bigger and where I have problems. 42 inch it is if I get a Spicy which is what consensus seems to be suggesting. Thanks for the tips!

RHSno2
    Free Member

If you live in ch then spicy. End of thread from another ch dweller.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You will be getting a great bike which ever you choose. When I change my Zesty it will be for a newer model, fits me like a glove.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’ve scanned through this thread and if you live in CH I have no idea why you are even considering the Zesty. If you want one bike for everything that Switzerland can throw at you it’s the Spicy. I’ve ridden a trail or two in Switzerland so have a reasonable idea what the riding is like here.

By the sounds of it you are living somewhere like Zug or Zurich. You’re not by any chance mates with a bloke in the chemistry dept of the ETH Zurich? A bloke I know asked me the exact same question as the OP last week for a friend of his.

Maybe see you out for a ride sometime.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if the medium (46cm) was the correct size… as I mentioned above, when I tried a spicy that would have been the size I would have got (6ft 33inch inside leg). Hope this doesn’t sound patronising but if you’re new to biking i’d get a mate who wasn’t to help you with the sizing, you’re looking to make sure that you have a good few inches of seat post showing when you’ve raised it to the appropiate height for efficent pedaling (you’ll want it lower for when you’re pointing down hill).

My rule of thumb is to raise the post until when you sit on the bike and put your heel on the pedal your leg is totally straight – when you’re pedalling normally with the ball of your foot you’ll thus have a slight bend at the knee (which is what you want).

If you’re finding that the zesty is a ‘better’ fit it may be because it has a lower bottom bracket than the spicy (can’t tell cause lapiere don’t quote that number for some reason) – bigger travel bikes normally do have a higher bb for obvious reasons. When you’re on it the BB height is fairly irrevant from a fit point of view (changes your centre of gravity tho – but don’t worry about that for now!) as it doesn’t alter the distance between your arse and the pedals.

So in summary get a 42inch spicy if it’s going to be one or the other (personally i’d get a trek scratch air or something like that…)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty or Spicy?’ is closed to new replies.