Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lapierre Warranty advice
  • mcwyc
    Free Member

Hey All,
    Long time loiterer, first time user – hoping for some advice.

I recently found out that my 2009 Zesty has developed the infamous crack on the bottom bracket housing. I’m aware this isn’t unheard of and have read a few posts whereby frames/front ends have been replaced after contact with suppliers/lapierre.
    I got in touch with the guys where I bought mine and they’ve gone back to lapierre who have promptly refused to replace the frame/front triangle on the grounds that it is out if warranty given frames from 2009 only had a 2yr warranty. For reference mine is the 2009 514 Zesty bought in Sep 2009.

The place that sold my bike has said there is nothing they can do. So I’m left with trying to get in touch with LP direct to try again or take the offer of a new front end for £200.

Anyone had similar claims rejected or even better, similar claims accepted?
    Thanks

project
    Free Member

the shop is responsible fort the sale under the sale of goods act, and items should be of merchantable quality, and have an expected life span.

Or some such words.

I awai the arrival of TJ, with the correct terminology.

wrecker
    Free Member

*pats turner*
    No help, I know sorry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

mcwyc – Member
    take the offer of a new front end for £200.

This

RoterStern
    Free Member

Lapierre’s warranty service is shocking which is why my LBS has stopped stocking them.

mcwyc
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip.
    Forgot to mention, does the fact that I bought the bike as ex – demo with only a stated 6month warranty alter this ‘sale of goods act….’?

Northwind

You’ll have a very hard time with SOGA after over 2 years of use, even though it’s a reasonably common fault. Especially on an ex-demo since you can’t vouch for the life it’s had.

mcwyc – Member

Thanks for the tip.
    Forgot to mention, does the fact that I bought the bike as ex – demo with only a stated 6month warranty alter this ‘sale of goods act….’?

Possibly. But it definately does put a different light on the comments on the 2 year warranty!

But £200 for a new front triangle is a pretty decent offer for an out-of-warranty part IMO.

project
    Free Member

A bike frame should be expected to last more than a few years.

ojom
    Free Member

ygm

br
    Free Member

In that case, a new front for £200 should be grabbed.

skywalker
    Free Member

You bought it knowing it had a 2 year warranty, and its now out of warranty. I would accept the new front end for £200 if I were you.

cooie

My 2009 Zesty cracked on the lower swingarm and was replaced on warranty no trouble .Bought May ’09 replaced Sept ’11, so after 2 years. I thought the warranty was now 5 years. I emailed steve@hotlines-uk.com HTH.Ian

Edit: just seen the ex-demo bit,so I guess that changes things!

mcwyc
    Free Member

Hmmmm, interesting input thus far.
    FWIW The bikes defineitly not had a hard time from me – I’m a 5’6″, 10st midget with a fear of heights!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To make a claim under the sale of goods act you will have to show its a manufacturing fault – either by a pro opinion or by showing loads of these bikes have that fault.

Even then yo will only get a partial refund as you have had two years use from it which is a significant portion of its expected life.

Ex demo makes no odds to sale of goods act rights unless its considered secondhand. Did you pay a secondhand prices?

Not a good case under SOGA – I wouldn’t bother. I’d take the £200 option I think

mcwyc
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I did pay secondhand prices for the bike so I guess this weakens my SOGA position even further.:(

cooie

Well the shop is wrong on the 2year warranty for 2009 bikes – just found this on Bikeradar :

Good afternoon all,

Pete from Hotlines Europe (Lapierre’s UK distributor) here.

It seems someone has been mis-informed regards Lapierre warranties. Below is full clarification on Lapierre warranties:

2008 and earlier – 2 years on full suspension models, 1 year on downhill bikes and 5 years on hardtails (includes road bikes)

2009 onwards (includes 2012) – 5 years on full suspension and hardtail mountain bikes (includes road bikes). 2 years on downhill models.

Warranty covers manufacturer’s defects only.

Racing voids all warranty.

The warranty is also non-transferable and valid for the original owner of the bike.

dhrider
    Free Member

The warranty is also non-transferable and valid for the original owner of the bike

I would say that the bike was 2nd hand when you bought it as it was a demo bike and also specifically sold with a 6 month warranty.

I would be taking the front end at £200 if I were you as you knew what you were buying.

cooie

Indeed, £200 for the front triangle is a steal.

float
    Free Member

interesting what they say about racing. i presume that includes enduros then?

timmys

The bottom bracket shell cracks have nothing to do with how hard the bike has been ridden and everything to do with a manufacturing fault. My 2009 Zesty came with one from the shop. Are you sure it’s only just happened?

You can read the “official”, albeit second hand explanation for the BB shell cracks here.

I’d try pushing the shop/hotlines/lapierre a bit harder as it was a fault the bike had before it even left the factory. If they aren’t feeling friendly though the fact that it’s technically a second hand bike means they don’t have to help you. Point out the link above, be polite but persistent, and you might get lucky.

EDIT: I should say that mine was sorted out very much to my satisfaction by a certain shop/person who I have now noticed (from further up the thread) has already emailed you!

mega
    Free Member

So it’s not just French cars that are built badly
    Will never buy a LaPierre after reading this

Sympathies to OP

Northwind

Unfortunately even if that can be taken as gospel, it doesn’t follow that every BB shell that cracked, cracked for this reason. If you want to force the SOGA route you’d need more than that.

FuzzyWuzzy

As has been said the 2009’s have a 5-year warranty but given yours was ex-demo and sold with 6 months warranty then I’m not sure you have much comeback (or why you’re expecting much comeback). YEs it’s a known fault so you may have some luck going the legal route but assuming you got at least £200 discount on the bike originally I’d probably just buy the replacement bit if it were me.

kilo

Slightly ot but I find Lapierre’s take on this one a bit odd, presumably they are not making much profit of a £200 front end, it seems to be a recognised fault on this model so why not replace it for free and either garner some good press or just avoid negative press like this. Mega say’s he wouldn’t buy one because of stuff like this, Mrs K is looking for a new bike and based on the recent ads in STW Lapierre were on the short list but after a thread like this I too wouldn’t go near them.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Mate of mine works in local shop, he said their customer service is poor and they’re thinking off switching to another brand instead.

wrecker
    Free Member

This is pretty poor for a known and proven defect regardless of the fact it’s an ex-demo. I would expect more. I nearly bought a lapierre last year; very glad I didn’t.

honourablegeorge

They’re offering a replacement front triangle for just £200 on an out-of-warranty, ex-demo bike?

I’d have said that’s fair enough.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Warranty advice’ is closed to new replies.