Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lapierre Spicy – what shock to use?
  • kevin1911

I’ve just won a Spicy 216 off fleabay.

Seems it comes with a Fox Float R rear shock, so looking to swap it out for something a bit better. Just wondering if any others have upgraded the shock, and if so what to?

Is it worth sticking with the Extra Volume air can on replacement shocks? Anyone tried the DHX Air?

Or, anyone got an RP23 for sale in 216x63mm?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Why don’t you actually try the one fitted before you shell out money on something else?

kevin1911

Good point – I will indeed give it a shot, just wondering what others have swapped to and what difference it made.

vikingboy
    Free Member

CCDB – transformed the bike. Depends on your style of riding if its a benefit or just a chunk of extra weight and cost.

kevin1911

Cheers Viking. Heard nothing but good things about the CCDB. To be honest though, I reckon it would be wasted on my mincing. Think I’ll stick with air shocks for now.

Northwind

Nothing much wrong with the Float R- unless you miss the features it lacks. Though, you’re more dependant on the damping being correct. You really need to ride the bike to see if you want the propedal adjustment and if the tune’s right for you.

robhughes
    Free Member

Loco tuned dhx5 with Ti spring on mine.
    Just superb
    Had to get that one in as iv,e just got it back from him.
    What a difference tuning it up makes 😀

dokta
    Free Member

Push tune it, according to your weight/style. Cheaper than CCDB, and just about as good. Nearly, and a lot cheaper.

robhughes
    Free Member

A push tuned float R against a CCDB…
    Nar not avin that one dokta

vikingboy
    Free Member

Dotka, not even close buddy!

coatesy
    Free Member

If you’re looking for alternatives, it might be worth speaking to Simon at Locotuning about one of his DSP Duellers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had a Float R on a Zesty 214, it wasn’t all that good. Swapped for a higher volume RP23 and it made a world of difference.

The OST suspension system doesn’t seem to get as wallowy as some bikes with high volume air cans because it is a little more reluctant to give up it’s travel than most anyway.

But had I not got the RP23 off a cheap S/H buy, I would have got the Float R PUSHed instead. If the shock is due a service anyway, that’d be my first choice in your situation.

jonke
    Free Member

i got a rp23 of a 6 month old nomad i might consider selling (recently swapped it out for coil). I have no idea what its worth?

kevin1911

Cheers Jonke. Is it a high volume air can?

jonke
    Free Member

Yes – high volume with boost valve.

nasher
    Free Member

I pushed tuned a float R off my 216 frame…

Made a big difference (I wanted more mid compression) and cheaper than a new shock

kevin1911

Jonke, would £120 be fair? My mail is in my profile if you’d rather discuss offline.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Spicy – what shock to use?’ is closed to new replies.