Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lapierre Froggy
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these? Seems to be the least-reviewed MTB in the world, according to Google. Have only seen an article about Nico doing the Mega on one, which was a bit of a puff-piece.

It's on my ever-changing mental shortlist – and the 318 looks very upgradeable.

Interested to hear how it rides, would be for uplift, Alps and trying to be more brave.

grumm
    Free Member

Guy here has one.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I'd be looking very closely at the geo of that bike and taking note of how it compares to trail bikes, freeride bikes etc.

fallguy
    Free Member

I bought one, i was looking for something for fort bill, inners and the like but would still pedal ok and therefore be able to be used for other days out and not just downhill.

seems to fit the bill. Any questions i will try to answer.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Two mates have them, one rides hard and bought the range topper which is always breaking bits off. The other is a plodder (sorry Roger) but fast downhill, he bought the cheaper one and although it's a couple of pounds heavier it seams to be tougher.

Both rate them though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm not a great student of bike geometry, but it seems to be the sort of thing I'm after.

It's got a head angle as slack or even slacker than my Big Hit, but a seat angle midway between my Big Hit and Reign. Wheelbase 40mm longer than Reign.

And it's a virtual pivot suspension system I think, which is definitely my preference over four bar or single pivot.

Hmmm. Have dropped that guy a line.

chakaping
    Free Member

Great, Ok fallguy – you did offer so here goes…

How does it handle on steep downhill trails? Your weight doesn't go too far forward does it?

Does it pedal well? Does the shock wallow in any conditions?

How does it deal with brake bumps?

How would you describe the handling charicteristics? Stable, twitchy etc.

How tall are you, what size do you have and how does it fit?

What's the rear wheel configuration? 135 I guess but QR or bolt-up?

Phew, that should do for now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Johnclimber – I'm looking at the cheaper one too, prefer coil to a DHX air and would hopefully be swapping the fork for a Totem anyway – plus adding some of my own bits.

It's actually pretty well specced apart from the cheap domain though, it seems.

Good to hear your pals are happy with theirs.

fallguy
    Free Member

chakaping

steep downhills feels great,head angle is real slack although im coming from a hummer as a comparison. Never had a full downhill bike.

Pedals great for such a big bike but i do find mysely using the pro pedal.

Not really been anywhere with any bad brake bumps so cant comment

Handling wise bike is very stable and surefooted, find myself straightlining a lot of sections i would usually avoid. The speeds this bike is capable of goin downhil are deffo beyond my comfort zone.

Im 5'8 and went for a small for standover, but preferred the large for reach so swapped stem for a 70mm.

Rear wheel is 135 x 10mm qr.

Oh and mines a 518 cause i love white!

Another note the wheels on the 518 a stupidly heavy, i swapped for mavic sx and tubless rubber queens to shed just short of 5ibs.

james
    Free Member

"it's a virtual pivot suspension system I think, which is definitely my preference over four bar or single pivot"

Its a four bar/horst link, not a VPP(/maestro)

Why the 518 has the same 160mm fork as the 160mm spicy baffles me when its a 180mm framset and the 318 has a 180mm domain fork. Its like they forgot Totems and 66s exist

nasher
    Free Member

I have both the spicys and the froggy's as hire bikes.

My personal froggy is the 318 with some weaks.

love it.

I like the handling of laiperres because of the long wheelbase, slack angles and short cockpit and the froggy is no different.

size wise, you MUST try one a they come between S/M and M/L i went for the M/L and although the reach etc.. is perfect.. the standover isnt but acceptable…. I am 5 ft 10 ish.

As for spec, the wheels are Ok but I will upgrade shortly to deemax.

The domain is very basic and once you hit big continius rocks it gives up.I have some black 66 RC 3's on mine….perfect.

The Van R is an OK shock and doesnt wallowy or lose its rebound characteristics on relentless rocky terrain, but it will be PUSH'd by Tim Flooks in the near feature with a Ti spring.

Also the 350 pound spring on the M/L is just light enough for my weight (80kg's) if you are any lighter then you will need a lighter spring.

you could easily lose about 4-6 pounds on the weight with some good upgrades. (cranks, wheels and bits and pieces)

Mine has done about 30,000 vert metres of alpine terrain and hasnt missed a beat!!

puffnutts
    Free Member

Nico rode the Mega on a carbon 914 this year with some unlabled fork on.

Loads of Froggies out there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fallguy – That all sounds good, thanks. I'm the same height as you so I better try them for size like Nasher says. Sounds like s/m would be right for me too though.

James, I found this in an interview with the designer on Bikeradar…

To get bob-free bikes, Antonot feels it “isn't enough just to have a virtual pivot point system". He says: "You need a specific configuration of the system, and whether we’re talking about our FPS or our OST platform, the concept is the same, even if the architecture is different.”

With both suspension systems, the aim is for the virtual pivot point to be aligned with the chain when the rider is on the bike.

Antonot says: "If the bike were to try to bob, the bobbing effect is automatically cancelled out by the virtual pivot moving away from the line of the chain. The bike corrects itself continually, resulting in a suspension that is independent but stable.”

Nasher – That's great thanks. I'd also plan to get TFT to Push the shock come service time. Have read good reports on Pushed Vans. And the Domain would be going straight on ebay. Should have a Totem to replace it.

Would also put on lighter wheels and SLX cranks. But the spec of the 318 and 518 seem quite similar on a lot of the finishing kit.

Do the Rubber Queens have the black chili compound, do any of you know?

Ta

nasher
    Free Member

The rubber queens are sheeeet bin them.

yeah also heard that the Van is the best shock for TF tuning, even asked on here and the consensus was fort the Van

Many of our french guests had either built up a frame only or bought the 518. The built up froggys were more or less the bike i was going to change the 318 into. but the 318 bike comes only 300 notes more expensive than a frame only!!

also other than the shocks, cranks and rear mech, there is very little to differentiate the 318 and 518.

also the green of the 318 looks a LOT better in the flesh

enjoy

HendyTreker
    Free Member

Come on Johnclimber, you should know that It's the Zesty that Roger and me have and not the froggy!
    As for the bits breaking off, that was just a run of bad luck where carbon was concerned, especially the shite xtr shadow rear mech. I seem to remember you were responsible for my lever snapping when the gate bounced back after you shoved it open too hard!(Blackstone Edge) 😉 That was a few months back now and I've since done quite a few rides including a week in the Alps, where the bike was faultless after taking a load of abuse. Reckon it would last longer than that Jones of yours anyway!
    Can't really comment on the froggy, but I imagine it gos a bit better downhill than a Zesty would, so must be an awesome bike with the right kit

chakaping
    Free Member

How about some pics of your Froggies then guys?

🙂

anderwho
    Free Member

I'm waiting to buy one but am a bit unsure of what size to buy…

I'm 6'1" tall.

I had a demo ride on a 43cm Froggy (smaller of two sizes) bike, and it's top tube length was the same as my Large sized Ironhorse (6 point 4). It suited me fine but Lapierre recommend me buying the larger 48cm bike. Although they didn't have one for me to demo on that day.

The 48cm frame seems quite a jump and I wouldn't want to loose any of its playfulness. If you've got one can you help me out by recommending a size. I really don't like feeling stretched out on a bike. Thanks

dhrider
    Free Member

I am 6ft 2" and have the 48cm froggy.

The bike feels great and I reckon any smaller and it would be to small although it is quite long.

I have just bought 780mm bars for mine and it has made it feel like a different bike.

Also get rid of the rubber queens and get a narrower tyre fitted.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Froggy’ is closed to new replies.