Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Langdale – Christmas Riding
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

Have just booked xmas in the Langdales (nr Ambleside) for a week with the wife and her family.

I’m currently (still) recovering from a broken arm, but I’m reckon I’ll be on the bike by the end of this month. I usually chuck the bike in the car and drive to Grizedale but I’m sure there’s got to be some good natural stuff nearby?

I’ll be there for a week, so, weather permitting, I’d like to get out for at least two days. My fitness will be slightly improved, but still terrible!

Any locals want to offer their guiding services in exchange for a pint at Wainwrights?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

There’s loads… Claife Heights, Loughrigg etc. But head into Biketreks, and they have loads of routecards you could follow.

Loads of people on here will be able to advise, I’m sure.

scruff
    Free Member

Easyish one is up the tarmac to Red Bank, down Loughrig, Fox Gyll, Fox Gyll, Ivy Crag. Relatively scenic and do able in any weather. Better riding if you head South, many ways through to Piece How Beck and then head E and maybe to Iron Keld or keep going towards Consiton and over Grizedale to Halwkshead and back via Iron Keld.
    It gets pretty big if you head W along Langdale, Sticks Pass, Rossett Pike n’that.

Basically, theres loads.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hi mate,

Ye I’m local and ill happily show you round. Email is varty.josh@hotmail.co.uk so just gimme a shout closer to the time.

Cheers

eightyeight
    Free Member

Sounds like there is loads. Any routes I can put on the garmin?

Probably worth doing nearer the time, but like I said, if anyone fancies showing me around let me know.

eightyeight
    Free Member

As if by magic. Cheers Josh.

tomaso
    Free Member

There is loads to chose from, but which one? This is what I believe most people would call a high quality problem.
    Search Bogtrotters routes and you’ll find some good bits.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

No probs mate, I’m off for 4 weeks around then so I’ll be heading out most days. Yes to pint.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Super, I’m up from the 18th to the 27/28th, staying in a self-catering lodge next to Wainwrights (if you know it), will drop you an e-mail nearer the time.

I’ll take this opportunity to re-iterate my fitness levels may not be what they should, but anything between 20km – 35km (at a push – literally) will be fine I reckon.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

as above, the classic loughrigg passes thru chapel stile. pick up the route on the back road out of chapel stile and return on the BW thru sawrey’s wood. loughrigg is a lower level route as well, so probably ideal for winter.

eightyeight
    Free Member

It’s a bit wet isn’t it?!

I got out yesterday before the worst of it and did a nice loop, roughly:

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=A6A55507BB0C3BE4C7DA06B04F96B330?fileId=gpnmsuvlcuqqgbwd

There looked a great decent which I walked up. Just after Skeleth Bridge, the long climb up the newly tarmaced road and then left onto the bridle way? Well I went up that and had a rather underwhelming decent the other side, whereas the chaps coming the other way looked like they got it the right way round.

Anyway, keen for a ride tomorrow if it drains, or the next day. Hints and tips gratefully received.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Langdale – Christmas Riding’ is closed to new replies.