• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Landscapers/gardeners – advice please…
  • DrP

As you can see in the pictures I’m creating a minimal border in teh front garden..
    It’s 11.8m long, and 50cm wide.

I’ve previously picked up the 25kg bags of ‘blue slate pieces’ from ASDA for small projects, but this will need loads..

For those who can look at something and say an answer from experience, what sort of weight/bag size would I be looking for to fill the border?
    Volume wise, I think a half cubic M bag should be fine..

Would you agree??
    Ta

DrP

Murray

6m2 0.1m deep = 0.6m3 so sounds right but it usually takes more than you think.

CheesybeanZ

I think you’ll be right with half an m bag , I’ve just thinly covered a much lager area with a full bag for a client tarting up the garden ready for selling the house .

nostoc
    Free Member

I make that only 8.5mm deep

thepurist

Which way does the wall face and where’s the prevailing wind? 50cm is a but narrow for a border so all you’ll get is a line of plants looking sad in front of a wall. I’d suggest making it a bit wider then get a dumpy bag of aggregate to dress it with? And why blue slate? From the pic it doesn’t look like you’re in an area where there’s much slate around, so suggest using something that’s a bit more local.

DrP

There’s no palm trees locally either, but that didn’t stop me 😉

Basically there’s only a few grasses in there…
    ” I’d suggest making it a bit wider then get a dumpy bag of aggregate to dress it with?” I won’t, but thanks.

The local merchant does 0.6m3 bags, which will be fine!

Cheers

DrP

EDIT – the fake twirly trees now replaced with small palms too.
    Pina colada anyone…?!

timba
    Free Member

Cutting the lawn will be easier if the edging is at or slightly below lawn level (not what you asked, I know)

footflaps

Cutting the lawn will be easier if the edging is at or slightly below lawn level

Call that a lawn?

It might have been one once!

senorj

Is that Pampas grass you’ve planted in the border? 😉
    That lawn looks amazing – did it come on a roll? 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Put some plants in it instead. Maybe native ones 🙂

pictonroad

You really are the most brutalist gardener in the village. I know you wear this badge with pride as well. 😆

DrP

Well…took just under half a grab bag..

Anyone want some LOCAL blue slate? Happy to post at cost…!

The grass is knackered near the border from all the trundling back and forth with those plants 😉

DrP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Landscapers/gardeners – advice please…’ is closed to new replies.