Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lands End John O'Groats
  • eaststandlower
    Free Member

Evening,

Me and a couple of mates are planning on doing LEJOG end of June this year.

Simple question really, will we get bitten to death by midges when we cross the border into Scotland?

While I’m on here, any other hints/tips/useful advice? We have a good sized camper van being driven by another mate supporting us and are aiming for ave of 120 miles per day. Current planned route is 970ish.

Thanks in advance.

Ambrose

Midges won’t get you if you keep moving.

whitestone
    Free Member

The midges are a problem well south of the border!

They are only really a problem in certain conditions – dull, damp and still. Avoid those and you should be OK.

scotroutes

No one in Scotland goes outdoors during the months of May to September.

tjagain

midges can fly at 4mph max. Keep above this and you will live to tell the tale

Smidge is your friend. It actually works without being horrid

tjagain

Can I put my plea not to ride down the A9 here?

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    No one in Scotland goes outdoors during the months of May to September.

It’s true. We wait for the good weather in December/January… 🙂

There is a solution though. Convince your fleshiest and fairest skinned friend that it will be very hot and they should wear short shorts and a wife beater. Then cover up yourself fully.

Oh, and the little bastards love helmet vents. Make sure your mate has no mesh in them.

Midgies always go for the fresh meat…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Agree with TJ . The A30 is another one to avoid .

pedlad

I’d avoid as many trunk roads as possible. Chances are you’ll do it once in your life so why not enjoy the pedalling and scenery.its a great trip

Lejog a few years ago now

natrix
    Free Member

Everybody and their dog does LEJOG, I rode the opposite diagonal, Dover – Cape Wrath, the midges are just as bad but there are less cyclists :mrgreen:

5thElefant
    Free Member

We went via Aaron. Great route. You avoid Glasgow and pop out in the middle of nowhere. And yes… stick to minor roads.

shortcut

It’s a great ride, have fun and keep off the A30 in the South and A9 in the north.

Lanes are easier and better.

eaststandlower
    Free Member

Thanks all. 🙂

fasthaggis

My top tip on any big trip is…Start early — finish early.
    Prep your stuff the night before for less faff getting going the next day.Move breakfast times to later and on route,then you just need a cuppa whatever before you set off.

Andy_K

I kept east of Scotland and Pennines, it was great. Defo second doing as much riding as possible in the morning, much nicer.

crazy-legs

Are you staying in B&Bs or the camper van?

If it’s B&Bs, keep the plan loose – have in mind an “aiming point” of where you want to get to but be prepared to move it. If it’s a lovbely day, nice weather, tailwind and you’re all on good form you may want to push on by 25 miles or so. If it’s crap weather, you’ve had mechanicals etc, you may want to end the day earlier than planned so it’s useful to have the driver park up, find some suitable local accommodation and book it online there and then (booking.com is brilliant for this).

Saves you having a rigid plan and allows options for diverting etc.

Midges: if you stop for anything (puncture, photos, navigation) they can be on you in seconds and once on, they won’t shift until you kill them or they’ve eaten their fill. Riding fast and hoping the wind will blow them off doesn’t work!

epicyclo

natrix – Member
    Everybody and their dog does LEJOG, I rode the opposite diagonal, Dover – Cape Wrath….

That sounds interesting. Got a route for that?

fasthaggis
    epicyclo

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lands End John O'Groats’ is closed to new replies.