Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Landlord / Fence question…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Wonder if the hive mind has any advice.

The fence between my property and the rented property next door was blown down in the Christmas storms – 2 snapped uprights and 3 panels down. It has been like this now for 4 months. Checking the paperwork we have when we bought our house it tells us it is the rented properties responsibility.

The tenant has said he has left numerous messages with the landlord to fix but they have not responded about the fence, though they did send a maintenance person round to fix the leaking roof. The tenant has given the number of the landlord and I’ve manage to confirm they do own the property and not an agent.

I’ve spoken with 3 people now, appears to be a shared office, and left messages, but no phone back.

I’ll keep trying daily from now on, and see if I can speak to them. I hope they will be reasonable and get it fixed but it worries me they’ve not made any attempt to fix it in the last 4 months.

We want to sell in the near future and is obviously makes the garden look a state.

What are my options? Try the council next?

thepurist

2 posts & 3 panels? If it’s that important to your sale just fix it yourself, keep receipts and attempt to claim back off the landlord.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/ might be worth a look too as they have people on there who know as much about this sort of thing as we do about riding bikes. Oh hang on a minute…

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the link I’ll take a look.

As for paying it for myself, that is the last resort as we need the money to move and it’s likely to be a few hundred. Most likely the concrete will need digging out and potentially other uprights are on there way out now its been left damaged so long.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced a fence that was the next doors (rented) responsibility.

I want to get our garden sorted, so removing the mass of ivy and the ruined fence was essential. I wanted to get it down swiftly so I just did it. told the tenant I was doing it and cracked on. even tore up and took all their ivy to the tip.

a bag of concrete, 2 posts, 3 panels. 70 quid maybe, and a days work?

Marin
    Free Member

It sucks but if you’re trying to sell D.I.Y. Get some mates to help offer steaks and beer. Lots of buy to letters will fix a leak to maintain a property but the fence isn’t going to be be a big deal to them. Doubt if the council could do much.

HungryHungryHippo

I’ve just replaced a fence that was the next doors (rented) responsibility.

Me too.

Unfortunately, I think you’ll be lucky to find a landlord that cares enough to replace it. Especially if they know you want to sell and that it’s important to you.

geoffj

We want to sell in the near future and is obviously makes the garden look a state.

Just put your own fence up on your side of the boundary.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do it as roughly as you can get away with and leave ALL the waste, concrete, bags, old wood, rocks and gravel, on their lawn.

dc1979
    Free Member

Plus one for putting up your own fence on your side as going forward the next door LL clearly doesn’t give a sh*t and won’t maintain the rest of his boundary. Also if you want to sell it will be a couple hundred quid well spent.

If you want to get them to fix the only thing you can do is badger the agent or Landlord daily as unfortunately unless you wanted to go through a lengthy claim if he doesn’t want to repair it he probably won’t unless you make a real nuisance of yourself.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Plus another for putting your own fence up. The fact that the existing fence belongs to next door doesn’t give them any duty to maintain it, unless there’s a covenant to do so. Sorry. It’s on their land; you can put one up on your land.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Landlord / Fence question…’ is closed to new replies.