Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Lancia Delta Integrale – fastest 5 door car??
  • 5lab

So, guy who sits behind me seems to remember the lancia delta integrale was, at its time, the fastest (highest top speed) 5 door car. We've been trying to come up with cars that are better, but are falling short. From research, the integrale seems to top out around 140-150mph. The lotus Carlton was a 4 door, as were most of the swiftest bimmers etc. Alpina b3 touring only did 130 – so we're running out of options

So can anyone think of a 5 door production car, pre-1989 that did >140 mph?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Edit* M5s were only ever four door!

I think AMG did some rocketship e-Class estates back then, but not totally sure.

It could be argued that any number of "specials" such as Bentley or Aston Martin shooting brakes were up there, but they don't really count, do they?

Pieface

Surely Jaguar / Rolls Royce / Bentley / Daimler have a few?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No idea, but I have been a passenger in one and it WAS quick 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Early M5, perhaps?

Won't that be a 4dr?

aP
    Free Member

Audi 200 Avant?

EDIT: Suggestions of 242Km/h for the 20V quattro.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Alfa 147GTA has a top speed of 153mph, with other similarly-engined hatchbacks (130, 135i, R32) being about the same.

EDIT: Where did the pre-1989 come from?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Alfa 147GTA has a top speed of 153mph, with other similarly-engined hatchbacks (130, 135i, R32) being about the same.

Not pre 1989 though, are they? And the Alfa seems to be a 3 door…. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Sierra 2.7 Cosworth?

uplink
    Free Member

BMW M5 Touring?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Cosworths were 3 door until the introduction of the Saphire, non?

zaskar
    Free Member

Sapphire Cosworth 2wd? 88 onwards?

Have a look at this listing:

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/sedans.html

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Where did the pre-1989 come from?!

The OP. Last line.

M5 Touring…….. Hmm maybe…..

5lab

pre-1989 is because obviously these days, theres loads quicker (porsche cayenne, etc).

m5 touring is 92 onwards
    sierra cossie is only 3 or 4 door

audi 200 might have it if they did an estate with the turbo engine before 1989 (not clear)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cosworths were 3 door until the introduction of the Saphire, non?

Yup. AFAIK….

thepurist

Do any of the Group B homologation specials count as production cars? Thinks like the 205T16 or Metro 6R4 – but they were probably geared for acceleration rather than top speed so might not beat the bog standard Integrale for that. Sooo nearly bought an Integrale in the early 90s, but had too many barriers in my life at the time (literally – security barriers at work & at home so a left hand drive car would've been a nightmare)

Edit – @rse, of course all the group B stuff was 3 door… Fool!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was thinking Golf G60, but they are only 3 door, and not fast enough either……..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thinks like the 205T16 or Metro 6R4

Neither were 5 door.

alanf
    Free Member

Alpina B10 BiTurbo Touring? Was that an offical motor back then or just one of the built to order beasts?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Lancia fans may be in for a treat in the next series of TG

Speshpaul

Sierra 2.7 Cosworth? 2.7?

Anyway no 5 door cossies, only a XR4x4 with 5 doors 144mph off the top of my head.

Avants, tourings and volvos don't count, 4 doors and a escape hatch.

GM has the "affordable" crown with the last generation vectra! FFS!
    the 3.2 twin turbo would do 165mph. Luckliy we corners in this country so they didn't sell many.
    Theres also a 5 door verson of the holden monarno (sP?) supposed to be coming out.

but basically most manufactors has stuck to the 155mph "limit" to avoid EU Restrictions on main stream cars.
    Even your M5's are topped off at 155.

rkk01
    Free Member

Struggling with the 5 door bit….

Plenty of 3 door and 4 door.

Peugeot 309 GTi 16v was goon for 140ish I believe, but rare in UK and not sure if it was in the 3 and 5 door body style.

The ferrari engined Lancia Thema 8:32 had plenty of go 150? but 4 door.

What about the 5 door Ford Granada – wasn't there a Cosworth engined one of those before they went to the fugly Scorpio body style??

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I own an integrale (Evo 1) and I think you are being a bit too generous to it here!

Mine is flat out at ~135mph (~220kph), that's max revs in top gear. Maybe Evo 2's with their larger wheels (16" over 15") #might# have a slightly higher top speed but I would have expected the final drive to be adjusted.

The integrale gets it's classic status from the handling, steering and silly turbo characteristics, top speed is not it's thing. Anywhere north of 100mph (private roads of course) i would fully expect to be (and have been) handed by ass by Mk2 Golfs, E30 Bmw 325i, etc they are all significantly less brick shaped! Below 100mph is of course a different game….

Steelsreal

i give you the lancia thema 8.32

ferrari engined and 145 top speed

Speshpaul

What about the 5 door Ford Granada – wasn't there a Cosworth engined one of those before they went to the fugly Scorpio body style??
    140mph

Steelsreal

d'oh just realised the thema is 4 door…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

rover SD1 with the V8 (Rover 3500/vitesse), they must be good for 150mph+ surely?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

rover SD1 with the V8 (Rover 3500/vitesse), they must be good for 150mph+ surely?

I reckon not.

EDIT: Nope… Here

Steelsreal

okay not exactly production but 143mph and the ugliest thing you ever did see

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That looks like a hearse crossed with a Citroen XM

thepurist

Steelsreal – is that an Aston Lagonda shooting brake? I had wondered about the original Lagonda but it was just a 4 door.

honeybadger
    Free Member

maserati quattroporte

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

The advert from Lancia at the time claimed that the Integrale could out-accelerate a porsche carrera 4…. but then in the small print it says this is only between 30 – 50 🙂

PS. might have the range wrong but it was pretty narrow!

Padowan
    Free Member

Integrale was classed as the fastest point-to-point car for quite some time, putting it ahead of more exotic/sporty rivals due to it's 4wd and incredible handling. I can't think of a faster top-speed 5 door either at the time – everything else I can think of is either 3 door, 4 door or an estate…

Padowan
    Free Member

maserati quattroporte

Literal translation: Maserati FOUR door!

Bimbler
    Free Member

maserati quattroporte

lol the clue's in the name

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I thought the claim was they were the fastest a-b car on the road rather than just top speed.

It was, as explained above, down to their handling, acceloration and top speed that they could just about mash anything else on the road.

5lab

sierra xr8 does 144mph – we might have a winner 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

140mph

I think you've done it. 5 doors, 206bhp, and as far as I can find so far 150+ mph, probably due to good aerodynamics……

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19083

EDIT
    Grandad trumps Jellymould XR8…. 🙂

5lab

granada cosworth was 1990, from what I can see?

309 is a 138 mph top speed. I can't find info on the amg's of the time

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Lancia Delta Integrale – fastest 5 door car??’ is closed to new replies.