Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lana Del Reydiohead
  • oldtennisshoes

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/08/radiohead-lana-del-rey-creep

Sounds similar to me, but 100% of the publishing royalties?

andyl
    Free Member

Interestingly, Radiohead themselves were successfully sued by The Hollies over Creep’s similarities to The Air That I Breathe.

Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood are now listed as co-writers for the song, and split royalties with the band.

hmm

DezB
    Free Member

There can’t be an infinite number of chord progressions, can there? – so some songs are bound to sound like others. What are Radiohead going to gain by suing Lana Del Ray? Few extra pence in royalties? Twonks. (and I like Radiohead)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wish we’d sued Falco for “Rock Me Amadeus” when we had the chance…

[video]https://youtu.be/ZXfxqM__hwk[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Think Falco had heard that then? I couldn’t listen to it without Rock Me Amadeus in my head now you’ve said it though!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, to be fair, I was singing Rock Me Amadeus in my head to the keyboards – pretty similar. Only 4 years apart as well. Did you guys not think of doing it at the time?

AlexSimon

So basically both Radiohead and Lana Del Ray copy the Hollies, but Radiohead sue!
    Weird

martinhutch

The chorus appears to be a completely different chord sequence so I’m not entirely sure where the 100% claim comes in. So they get 100% of whatever relatively small amount LDR makes from this particular track, and immediately have to give half of that to the Hollies…minus appropriate lawyering fees.

Can’t imagine RH will make any cash out of it at all after all that.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I always felt that Radiohead copied Neil Young’s Heart of Gold for Prove Yourself.

I like that Lana del Rey song, but I’d be gobsmacked if the writer(s) were truly oblivious to the Creep similarity. Don’t tell Julee Cruze; she’ll be wanting a bit too.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBdH6SjBEX8[/video]

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Say what you like, but that Lana Del song is a bit on the nose. I get the similarities between Creep and The Air That I Breathe, but the LDR song is blatantly the same chord progression

scotroutes

They both sound like The Air that I Breathe. Hammond and Hazelwood should get their claim in.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s not a little bit like creep is it?

DezB
    Free Member

They both sound like The Air that I Breathe. Hammond and Hazelwood should get their claim in.

Think they already have.

It’s not a little bit like creep is it?

Well, the words and singings are different far as I can tell.

Rorschach
    Free Member

So just the tune then?

DezB
    Free Member

The tune is identical 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Lawyers be lawyering.

Bit like this travesty: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-bitter-sweet-symphony/

angeldust
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

So basically both Radiohead and Lana Del Ray copy the Hollies, but Radiohead sue!
    Weird

Nope 🙄

Second post:
    andyl – Member

Interestingly, Radiohead themselves were successfully sued by The Hollies over Creep’s similarities to The Air That I Breathe.

Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood are now listed as co-writers for the song, and split royalties with the band.

brassneck

Trouble by Coldplay is one of my riffs backwards, and the drummer came from my hometown.

Makes you think.

AlexSimon

Nope 🙄

Why the rolleyes? What makes Radiohead think that it was Creep that was copied and not The Air That I Breathe.

IANAL but If I were LDR, I’d claim I copied The Hollies and put them on the credits and pay them 40% royalties just to mess with Radiohead.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not just the chord progression is it? The melody for the verses is very reminiscent.

Neither of them are a patch on The Hollies song though, eh?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lana Del Reydiohead’ is closed to new replies.