Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Laminate flooring – which type & why?
  • RustySpanner

Rebuild now at the stage where we need to choose the flooring.

Want wood.
    Where do we buy from and what do we need to be wary of?

Horror stories and recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

so its you and the bin men at my local skip dont know what laminate is then ?

tor5
    Free Member

Bought some engineered wood from homebase. £30 a box. Label/online said 1.06m², but 1.39m² printed on box. Ended up having to send 7 boxes back.

Looks good, but the finish isn’t very durable. A flying matchbox car (thanks son!) has put a dent in one plank and it has scratched in a few places where a load of sand was walked through the house (thanks daughter!)

RustySpanner

Very serious. 😐

Halfway through house rebuild, it’s decision time.

Thought I had more time to research & been stupid crazy at work, but things are a little ahead of schedule so we need to decide.

All advice hugely appreciated.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it laminate you really want or are you looking for engineered timber?

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive got travis perkins trade oak wood floors in my house …..£19 + vat for 1.19 m square

it took a couple of marks in the first 3 months then hardened up it would seem and hasnt marked since.

still didnt bother putting it in my hall way as SPD shoes will muller it im sure. id have stuck in good laminate floor if i didnt go for ceramic tiles.

RustySpanner

No idea DD.

We’ve got 80m2 to do.

Had just had a quick look at laminates.
    Engineered wood the way to go?

I’m not made of bins so it has to be reasonably priced.

I’d better go and do some proper research, I think.

Kryton57

I’ve got 5m2 of cheaper engineered wood floor you can have. Still.

RustySpanner

It’s the engineered wood we’re after apparantly.

Apologies.
    I am an idiot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s ok Rusty. Do some research and drop me an email when you want – I’ll help you out when the time comes.

spooked
    Free Member

Quickstep stuff. It’s great. And well… Just because.

RustySpanner

Thanks dd & thanks folks.

I’ll mail you tomorrow.

Ta.

djflexure

I have used the Kahrs range in a couple of houses. The finish is very nice. Go for the matt lacquer finish as this wears well. I like the single plank stuff, rather than 3 planks in one strip. We have a dog running around plus three kids and it still looks new after 8 months. I go to a place called flooring supplies online to get end of line ranges. You can pay about £20 squ m if lucky. EDIT: just had a quick look – they don’t have much for £20 at present. £30 gets you something nice.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve decided against wood / engineered wood. I’ve done this on the basis of cost, lack of underfloor heating comparability (pushing you towards the more expensive options), it’s usually quite thick so, will lead to steps at the thresholds with other rooms, and that it needs maintenance and care and I can’t be bothered being ‘precious’ about it. I’m going for beveled laminate. Not sure what brand yet, but I will be saving thousands compared with the real wood options. Aesthetically laminate is not as nice, but unless you’re on your hands and knees staring at the floor it’s good enough to fool most people. I did consider stuff like Karndeen, but it’s very pricy and just posh laminate when all is said and done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Laminate flooring – which type & why?’ is closed to new replies.