Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Laminate floor laying query
  • rocco

Just about to lay new laminate flooring in the lounge and I’ve got a query about laying.

The new floor needs to be level with ajoining tiles in the entrance area which are layed at 12mm, the laminate is also 12mm thick. I would like to avoid using threshold bar as I hate them and so would like to grout between the tiles and laminate.

The 2 option I’ve thought of are:
    1. Glue the whole floor down so it doesn’t move and crack the grout.
    2. Use 1mm underlay and have the floor floating other than the couple of planks against the tiles which I would glue.

Is there any reason I can’t glue the whole floor? Or any other ideas to stop the grout cracking?

walla24
    Free Member

disclaimer- I know very little about this

When i laid mine I was told that the whole point of not glueing it was to allow it to expand/contract with temperature? So maybe just glue nearest the tiles?

Also told to leave the boards inside at room temp for a while before laying

andyl
    Free Member

Is there any reason I can’t glue the whole floor

It wants to expand and contract so if you constrain it then it will probably find the weakest glued points (or weakest substrate points) and buckle up.

If running parallel to the join instead of end on then you might be able to glue/screw that area down provided the ends are free to expand and contract. If running end on then maybe just fix that end near the join.

When I did the flat I just bought some nice oak moulding strips and used some brass screws (heads all aligned) as a threshold. Worked really well and n concerns with any of the joints to tile or carpet.

Does your 12mm include the underlay for the laminate? You would normally put something between them and the concrete. edit: 1mm underlay? I used something a lot thicker than that.

Another option at the join is find a coloured flexible caulking/silicone that matches the grout colour.

inverjoe
    Free Member

I done this about 7-8 years ago albeit with floating hardwood which is 19 mm thick, i used a piece of 12mm aluminium angle bar over lapping the wood and screwed into the end of each plank then tiled up to it.

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

I’ve just put some Quickstep laminate down and used the matching Inciso threshold stops between the laminate and an adjacent slate floor. I know you don’t want threshold strips but these really don’t show and still allow the necessary expansion and contraction. I’ve seem what happens to floors that can’t move and it’s impressively unpleasant.

rocco

The floor is 12mm thick and I planned to use 6mm underlay however the tiles have been laid at a height of 12mm so I don’t want to have a 6mm ridge between tiles and flooring. 1mm underlay was recommended by the flooring guys.

The flooring will be running end of so only the end will be against the tiles, I reckon there will be 3 ends as its only a doors width of tiles

The silicone idea is pretty good, it would fix the floor is place but allow some movement if it expanded.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Laminate floor laying query’ is closed to new replies.