Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lakes trip this weekend – rain. Ride or change plan?
  • Pook

This was our attempt at a variation of the Borrowdale Bash (with added singletrack) last year. We abandoned the ride as it was like ice under tyre, and having needles blasted at us. the valley then flooded and we were the last vehicles out before they closed the road.

[video]http://vimeo.com/179593621[/video]

The question is, looking at this weekend’s forecast; what would you do?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Is that Paul with you guys? Fair play for even attempting that.

Pook

It is. But he’s not coming this time. Fitter than the lot of us.

simon1975

When is it ever dry in Borrowdale? MTFU! It shouldn’t be cold in July and those trails are mainly rocky 😉

Pook

Si, I was amazed. The rocks were like ice.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Went here a few weeks back had a great time,it rained towards end of our week.
    We went to ride around Ambleside area -Loughrigg Fell loop on a day when it didn’t stop raining and had good fun-it’s lower and more sheltered than some of the more northern routes.

simondbarnes

When is it ever dry in Borrowdale?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rMda2m]Perfect[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

You just need to pic your days 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only ever really change plans in the Lakes if the wind is up and we’re heading high, wet doesn’t really bother me as much.

It’s only wednesday, which IMO is too far away to believe the forecast. If it is shit, there are loads of lower down options that will still be ace, Askham moor-UBW Hayeswater-knott-satura-angle tarn-boredale-UWB is a cracking day from pooley bridge end or Glenridding.

No end of great riding lower down near ambleside, coniston, grizedal, hawkshead too.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

OP MTFU

I’m attempting the West Highland Way with my 11 year old son this weekend. I’m having serious concerns about his ability to withstand cold and wet for 4 days.

But you’re a grown man?

chakaping
    Free Member

Our wet weather options are usually the Bash in the north and Grizedale Forest in south lakes.

Waterproof shorts for the latter, if poss.

jekkyl

I love the lakes and yes it always rains, my approach is … plan for rain and if it stops and/or the sun comes out then it’s a bonus.
    I’d still go and just wing it day by day. It won’t be cold unless you go high up, so if it rains stay low with the option of bailing and stopping at a pub. Plan several routes and there’s always Whinlatter, which you can blast round even if it’s pelting down. 🙂

Andy_K

Well I’m local, and given the current changability of the forecast, I’d say it was too soon to tell. It certainly wont be as bad as last time, so you might as well 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

BBC forecast is wet, warm & lowish wind in Keswick area.
    If you set off knowing your going to get soaked, take a dry top in the bag for a change at mid point and ride according to the conditions it will be ok.
    Its been quite warm up here this week so its more thundery showers than cold icy winter rain.
    What else will you do if you don’t bother?

Pook

thegeneralist – Member

OP MTFU

I’m attempting the West Highland Way with my 11 year old son this weekend. I’m having serious concerns about his ability to withstand cold and wet for 4 days.

But you’re a grown man?

It’s not me suggesting changing the plan ;o)

danvis
    Free Member

Ride in the South Lakes and finish at the beer festival in Satveley its on now through the weekend … HIC!

breadcrumb

The bash rides fine in the rain.
    Being local if I only ventured out in the dry I’d only get a handful of rides in!

jekkyl

what have you decided Pook, Lakes or wales?
    nice choice to have either way…

duir
    Free Member

Rode South Lakes stuff last week in torrential rain all day, brilliant. If you get your suspension setup and tyre choice right there is grip in the most unlikely places even on green rock. Worth re thinking the higher fells in poor weather but there is so much low stuff throughout the Lake District it’s well worth getting on with especially as it’s wet but still warm at the moment.

lowey

a VERY wet last Saturday in the lakes. I had the best ride! Bloody brilliant once your out in it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WBn6Nk]20170715_125731[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

tomaso
    Free Member

Go Lakes! Saturday is mild and mostly dry. Barely any wind, so go high!

And as for the video, that looks normal.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lakes trip this weekend – rain. Ride or change plan?’ is closed to new replies.