Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lakes Trip
  • bubs

I would like to do a quick trip to the Lakes from down South. I don’t work Fridays and so would travel up Thursday evening and then return Saturday afternoon. Has anyone successfully done this? Did you drive or take the train? I would like to take my own bike if possible but what are bike hire options? Finally, what is the best area to head to for easy navigation, big mountains, good draining trails and easy access?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wheelbase hire and out of Staveley as well with good trials near by – I think the bikes are bit average but i dont know the whole range

Personally I would bring my own bike and ask a local on here to act as a guide

I cannot do Fridays so it wont be me.

pdw
    Free Member

I’d take the car. With days getting shorter, you don’t want to be wasting time riding to and from trails. I’d probably aim for either Ambleside or Windermere. They’re easy to get to from the south, and you’ve then got easy access to Grizedale (good mix of all weather trails) to the west or you can head up north to Helvellyn and Ullswater.

postierich
    Free Member

You can hire fat bikes @ Wheelbase they are just about to update their normal hire fleet!

sheck

Was in Lakes last October… Had a friend who joined me for the day from London… He got an 0700 train, arrived about 11. We rode til 1600, quick beer and pasta and he got the train back around 1800… He was in bed by 2300. I had a week of it but was envious of his epic 1 day off!

jambalaya
    Free Member

In season the train is extortionately expensive. Not sure about this time of year. Driving is much more convenient and you can take your bike but I would advise against riding Sat and then driving the 5+ hours back – very tiring. We’ve done a weekends hiking driving up Thur evening, all day hike Fri and Sat then breakfast / scenic drive to start trip home on Sunday. If you’re going up you want to hit some signature rides eg Helvelyn, Borrowdale Bash plus say a loop round Grizedale area. Not sure how fit you are but a drive and two mega all day rides and a drive back will be knackerinf and possibly unsafe in the car on your own

The Lakes are fantastic but if you want a weekend you might like to consider a “dry run” trip the the Peak District as that’s 3.5hr drive instead of 5.5hrs – I’ve done that solo driving with 2 days riding a number of times

bubs

Thanks. Good point about being knackered. Wales has been do-able but that was only 3ish hours. With flights at £56 return, Malaga is also now looking like an option! I do like the Lakes though, hmm….

Sionwms
    Free Member

I’m planning a similar trip, but only from North Wales. First trip up to the lakes and have booked to stay at the hostel in Amleside for 3 nights. Next part is route planning will probably do a quick spin round Grizedale and its natural stuff, after that haven’t a clue where to start. Used to rocky, steep technical stuff around Betws y Coed and Snowdonia so hoping I’ll be able to find similar up in Lakes.
    Will keep tabs on this thread for route ideas 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Used to rocky, steep technical stuff around Betws y Coed and Snowdonia so hoping I’ll be able to find similar up in Lakes.

If you’re in decent shape and you don’t mind a LOT of hike-a-bike, have a look at the Four Passes / Tour of Great Gable.

Or a bit closer to Ambleside you have several great options on Helvellyn.

Here’s a blog from a ride I did up that way a couple of weekends ago…
    http://unduro.co.uk/riding/helvellyn-sticks-pass-and-boredale-hause/

Dollywagon/Grisedale Tarn descent off Helvellyn is also a cracker.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m a big fan of some hike a biking providing there’s a decent reward!! Helvellyn does seem to pop up on every Lakes thread, I’ll have a look at your blog too, getting a tad excited now!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Trip’ is closed to new replies.