Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lakes route help
  • philfive
    Free Member

can anybody give me alittle advice.

Has anyone ridden from Wythburn to watendlath and then stonethwaite to Grasmere?

wondeirng on conditions, rideability and quality of descents.

thanks in advance

scruff
    Free Member

I would not recommend going over Greenup Edge BW from Stonethwaite to Grasmere, its a big portage and you get to the top and its alot of pushing down and across boulder fields and boggy bits, prob 50% rideable.

philfive
    Free Member

hmmmm what size bolders? fun size bolders/rough like nan bield or garburn?

scruff
    Free Member

Size and placement along with bogs made too many sections too difficult if not impassable on alot of it. It wasnt fun, but it was character building. I rode Garburn the day before, that was much fun.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Wythburn to watendlath: there’s a fireroad takes you all the way up to Harrop Tarn (avoid the bridleway marked on OS maps). After the tarn, it’s just a case of following the bridleway past Blea Tarn (grassy and can be very wet), then across to meet the path coming off High Tove. Then there’s a nice zig-zag descent down to Watendlath (and on down Birkett’s Leap, etc).

Stonethwaite to Grasmere: +1 as scruff says. It’s not the best route in the world, but there are some nice sections so it’s worth doing once.

philfive
    Free Member

sounds good, i just want to be able to loop a way back towards grassmere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route help’ is closed to new replies.