Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lakes riding reccomendations
  • trailmonkey

Going to be in the Lakes for a fortnight with the extended family. I need ideas for some rides that my teenage son and old(ish) age father in law are going to enjoy. Son is technically very good but fitness isn't too good and father in law is a little stronger but not quite so able. Would the trail centres be a good bet for riding the whole group ? I'm planning to get out and ride on my own too, so suggestions of your favourite loops would be good also. We're staying pretty centrally so anywhere will do.

grumm
    Free Member

Whinlatter is great for mixed ability groups imo. 3 good trails of varying difficulty all going out from the same place so dead easy to combine options etc. Blue run is great fun, south loop is not much harder (especially the bottom half – you can miss out the top section) but still great, north loop is a bit harder but not quite as good imo. Fantastic views on lots of it. There's a superb singletrack descent down to Thornthwaite on a bridleway that starts just down from the visitor centre too.

Grizedale would be a good option too but not the North Face Trail really – pick pretty much anyway bridleway in the forest and you will find some easy but fast and rocky fun.

There's a route in the VG guides book round Iron Keld and Loughrigg Terrace that has some great riding and views, plus plenty of options for cutting it short if necessary.

ton

head for coniston
    any bridleway around coniston is good, and i mean any…
    loads of good loops that stand out on a map.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It's worth picking up a copy of..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/District-Mountain-Biking-Richard-Staton/dp/0954813189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248768518&sr=8-1

…and if you're near Keswick on a Tuesday – 18:30 from the outside The Pedlar on Bell Close Car Park if you fancy a few hours of mountain insanity 😀

http://www.lakelandpedlar.co.uk/find.html

boxelder

Go into Biketreks in Ambleside/KMB in Keswick and get one of their maps and advice. The loop from Keswick, along the railway to Threlkeld, then doubling back NWish towards Skiddaw House and Lonscale Fell would be an ideal starter (in latest Mbr mag.)
    Also the Borrowdale bash is a good mix of techy rocks and easier, view rich trails and quiet tarmac – could be broken into two shorter chunks.
    Those above talk good sense too.

Richyb
    Free Member

If you want a great technical short loop, this is fantastic.

Patterdale – Side farm – Ullswater singletrack north (make sure you take top track half way up hillside that brings you to silver point) – Sandwick – Boredale – Boredale Hause – Side farm (again make sure you take top track)

Pook

Haddock's the man in the know for this…. he'll be along shortly I'm sure.

How about Grizedale with Parkamoor Loop bolted on?

trailmonkey

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lakes riding reccomendations’ is closed to new replies.