Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Lakes – Birkby Fell BW – A Horse Drowned there.
  • richpips
    Free Member

I did my homework and having read this thread on the Devoke Water – Birkby fell BW, thought I’d give it a whirl at the weekend.

The section along Devoke Water is OK, but from Birkby fell to the double walled section above Dyke is mental. Both me and my mate went in up to our thighs in the tussocky bog.

Chatting to some locals the day after I was informed that a horse had drowned there.

If you want a KOM and you have suitable underwater breathing equipment, go for it. http://www.strava.com/segments/5083651

billyboy
    Free Member

I tried a route off Corney Fell to Whitfell and then direct to the west end of Devoke Water, and then down to Barnscar and Waberthwaite about a month ago. It was as dry as I’ve ever known it but that “enclosed boggy field” below Barnscar was still a problem. It was full of gorgeous orchids though and the bog cotton was as vibrant as I’ve ever seen it.

The rest of the route worked (ish…not sure about the descent off Whitfell…mostly walked) until I was on the hill above Devoke then it was mostly a walk until I made the Barnscar/Devoke track

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Lakes – Birkby Fell BW – A Horse Drowned there.’ is closed to new replies.