Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lake District – Wainwright Round… on a bike
  • thenorthwind

Anyone know how much of this would be doable/fun/technically legal? Or anyone who’s done it?

thekettle
    Free Member

Having walked them, I can’t think of many that would be legal (a tiny percentage), and loads that would be really dull grassy/boggy experiences. Prepare for a lot of carrying followed by disappointment if you’re hoping for good riding! Technically all doable though I expect, Wainwright didn’t like steep or rocky terrain much, he preferred good views.

boxelder

Why would you though?

thenorthwind

I thought there a lot of the routes were bridleways, but I haven’t really looked in detail.

I would expect a lot of carrying, but hoped there would be a fair share of good descents.

Cheers for the input, it was just an idea. I like the idea of having a list (even though it compels you to do less than ideal routes. Weird, I know, but I’m not alone.) I know I’ll do a round of Munros one day, but its not a realistic goal at the moment. Thought of doing the Wainwrights instead (probably already done a lot), then wondered about biking them.

thekettle
    Free Member

Munros have definitely been biked, probably a write-up of it somewhere. I think (without looking closely) that you could get within a km or two of most Wainwrights on bridleways, but the remaining hike up may not be worth the descent. Ticking off the classic horseshoes of the Lakes (eg Fairfield, Coledale, Deepdale, Kentmere etc) may be a better but cheeky aim, or even the Lakeland Nuttalls (180 of them), with the exception of Pillar Rock!

boxelder

The Lakeland Lugger shows the ‘legit’ tops to bike. Forget Iron Crag out west though as the BW barely exists and doesn’t strictly go to the summit.

thenorthwind

The Lakeland Lugger shows the ‘legit’ tops to bike. Forget Iron Crag out west though as the BW barely exists and doesn’t strictly go to the summit.

Thanks for that link and the tip.

Had also considered the classic horseshoes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That Lakeland lugger looks a good trip, done over maybe 5 days, staying in BB’s. Me likey.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lake District – Wainwright Round… on a bike’ is closed to new replies.