Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lake District – Quality Hotel Review / Recommendation ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

Considered the Swan at Newby Bridge but it’s too South…. Looking more Grasmere area, etc….

Any thoughts / recommendations ?

mrsmouse
    Free Member

We stayed at the Moss Grove organic hotel when we got married and it was fab! Not sure how to do links but if you google miss grove grasmere you should find it.

the_lecht_rocks

looks brill mrsmouse but do they do dinner ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rooms at the apple pie in Ambleside, really nice rooms, bike treks on one side, applie pie tea room and dodds restaurant on the other. Result.

postierich
    Free Member

The Swan is a bit dire average food and costly beer avoid!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Old England Hotel, Bowness on Windermere.

Superb. Spa, pool, gym etc. Great lounge overlooking the lake for afternoon tea. Restaurant is excellent.

Plus you are in town for shops and choice of bars/restaurants (try Jacksons Bistro).

Staff are super helpful. Can lock bikes up in underground car park.

We won’t stay anywhere else in the Lakes these days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

FYI we stayed in Hawksbrige at Queen Head Hotel, dire room (not rennovated, newly rennovated are good) but nice food

Look on Trip Advisor, lots of review for Lake’s Hotels etc

RustySpanner

Middle Ruddings at Braithwaite is a great place – great food, good beer, nice people.

Shap Wells Hotel isn’t at all bad – rooms a bit bland but the food is excellent, the bar is great and the building istelf pretty impressive – like a smaller version of the place in ‘The Shining’. 🙂

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Definitely a quality hotel with a quality setting , quality food and quality prices to match but have a look at the Wordsworth at Grasmere , it’s the place I take Mrs Oggy when I want to really treat her.

the_lecht_rocks

Keep it coming…. Michelin star restaurant in Cartmel ! I went to school there !

stufive
    Free Member

I do a lot of work for the salutation in Ambleside it’s a quality hotel with great facilities I could even get u a good rate maybe

mrsmouse
    Free Member

I don’t think the moss grove does dinner, we had other plans so never asked but it was a lovely place to stay!

paulevans
    Free Member

How posh you want to go? Try the Gilpin Lodge on the Crook Road, Windermere or the new Daffodil Hotel in Grasmere.

freddyg
    Free Member

The Samling in Windermere

The Drunken Duck in Ambleside

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

http://englishlakes.co.uk/the-wildboar-inn/

not cheap

Home

also stayed here, which I’d recommend.

Also in Grasmere is http://www.tweediesbargrasmere.co.uk/

Grew up in Cartmel, but the whole village has been overtaken by l’enclume. Bit sad really.

TomB

If in Grasmere, could eat at the Jumble room if the mossgrove doesn’t do dinner. Nice in an informal way. Near me, the Overwater Hotel (nr Bassenthwaite willage and the Cottage in the Wood (Whinlatter) are well thought of, and the Pheasant at Wythop (end of Bassenthwaite Lake) is lovely, if pricey.

hunta

+1 for the Samling. Proper pukka (Mrs hunta said ‘yes’ there) and excellent food too. We had The Bothy, lovely suite in a separate cottage.

I bet they’d find you somewhere to hose your bike down too 🙂

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Rampsbeck Country House Hotel, it’s on the banks of Ullswater. Stayed there a few years ago and actually going tomorrow for to nights. A great little hotel that does excellent food.

Rod

The Punchbowl is ace (same ownership as Drunken Duck but nicer) but also a bit southernly (more rolling countryside than ‘proper’ Lakes – but still worth it).

Gilpin Lodge is fantastic too if you want to go more upmarket (tell them you’re on honeymoon and you might get upgraded – we did (but we were actually on honeymoon!))

We’ve eaten at the Samling – very nice but proper pricey and not quite as relaxing.

sam_underhill

http://www.howekeld.co.uk in keswick is a lovely place to stay. More of a posh B&B, but we loved staying there. close to town, and they’ll let you store your bikes in their garage. Parking is a bit crappy though.

ampthill

Langdale Copuntry club. Not been into the rooms but loads of facilities. Lovely base for activities. Walk to the Britannia in for a meal or to the Eltermere Hotel

Or stay at the Eltermere if you don’t need a pool etc.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lake District – Quality Hotel Review / Recommendation ?’ is closed to new replies.