Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lake district must do routes
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So I’m going up to the Lakes in a couple of weeks for three days of riding. Previously we’ve only ridden Helvellyn and the three passes route of Garburn Gatescarth and Nan Bield. I’ve got the Vertebrae guide and have selected three routes:
    a loop around Ullswater and High Street.
    A loop in Grizedale forest that looks to circumnavigate the forest- the Grizedale Esthwaite loop.
    The final route is Walna scar and Seathwaite Dunnerdale. Given the taming of Walna Scar lately is this still a must do descent?
    Are there any other routes which people would say that you must do or are any of the above routes not really as good as they sound in the guide book?

Vortexracing

Borrowdale Bash Is one of my favourites,

P1030628 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Grizedale always provides good riding IMHO regardless of weather and surprises 😆

P1030799 by eastham_david, on Flickr

grum
    Free Member

The Grizedale one is great. The other Grizedale one is also good (Grizedale and Parkamoor). Claife heights is great too and can be linked with the above. The Iron Keld and Loughrigg route in the book is a lovely mega scenic ride. Walna Scar used to be a favourite but I wouldn’t bother now. :/

High Street is overrated IMO, though the views are great and Ullswater singletrack bit is ace.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash. One of my favourite rides anywhere and rides well even if it’s been wet.

Grum +1

I’d be dubious about High Street – a hell of a big carry to get to a bog on top. One for a dry summer rather than the end of a wet one.

boxelder

High St will be really boggy.
    Round back of Skiddaw + B’Dale Bash instead of High St I’d say, and the two others you’ve picked

grum
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash +1 but I’d do the Bogtrotters variation to cut out some of the road.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

cut out the road you say? that is what has put me off the borrowdale bash. So where can I find this Bogtrotters route? So peoples opinion is that High Street will be a big bog now?

boxelder

The Boggies variation is along the west side of the river up to Watendlath – a busy footpath, so not for weekends (please)

grum
    Free Member

Yeah sorry I totally agree the FP should be avoided at busy times. High Street is always a big bog!

Vortexracing

the FP is here

P1030618 by eastham_david, on Flickr

quite techy in places

woody2000

After losing my Lakes virginity recently, I can highly recommend Loughrigg – pick a wet day for fewer redsocks 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lake district must do routes’ is closed to new replies.