Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Lake district campsite for stag do
  • momo

I’m after a campsite recommendation for my stag weekend.
    A group of 14 or 15 blokes aged 30 to 40, could get a bit rowdy (so my usual choice of the NT campsite at Gt Langdale is not really appropriate) but not excessive, plan is a day of walking and a day on the bikes, so ideally close to decent routes (I know it’s the lakes so there’s quality everywhere!) and have a pub nearby which serves food to save us cooking for ourselves.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You’ll need a cottage nowhere is going to let a stag do of that size in.

GregMay
    Free Member

Let me know where you go so I can avoid it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Book in small numbers and expect to never go back….

Kahurangi

I don’t officially know anything that would be suitable but ir_bandito might…

grum
    Free Member

‘Might get a bit rowdy’ + campsite does not compute.

You need to find a non-public campsite surely. When I was looking at wedding venues there are some village halls in the Lakes you can hire out for the night/weekend that have grounds you can camp in and use cooking facilities/toilets etc – can’t remember names now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hawkshead has a campsite just outside the town, a few pubs there. Fairly close to Grizedale.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The one next to coniston at the waters edge is generally full of bell ends, I’d try there.

teethgrinder

Ambleside YHA?

scotroutes

Bowkerstead Farm. We had a fatbike meeting there a couple of years ago and it was fine. Just let them know and they can segregate a wee area for you.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Coniston Hall, 15 min walk along purpose built track into Coniston with a few Boozers to go at , can bag the Old Man on a nice loop for the walk, and the worlds your oyster for MTB,and you won`t be the drunkest there from my experiences over the years!!

marcus7
    Free Member

Not a chance at the croft in hawkshead, i once had problems with just two of us who were clearly on a walking trip!. Id be amazed if you could find somewhere mainly because they dont generally allow same sex groups and dont allow large groups unless families. also the camp owners are not thick so trying to book using a multiple booking ruse will not work and they will throw you off with no refund. other than that you’ll be fine.. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

did one here
    http://www.rookinhouse.co.uk/activity-packages/family-and-friends/
    shooting
    engines
    riding elsewhere and not a bad minibus taxi to keswick or Penrith

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I stayed at Coniston Hall for my stag do 5 years ago. We hadn’t booked anything (thanks to my organised best man!!) so just turned up. We did have to leave a £20 per person damage/noise bond at reception which was refunded when we left.

Easy walk into the village for pubs and food. Can sit down by the lake for drinking.

Think we were the quietest group on the campsite as we didn’t want to lose our deposit!!

Slightly smaller group than you though (about 10) – can’t remember if they had a group size limit but you could split up.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    mrchrispy

you’ll be wanting a bunk barn

jekkyl

lanefoot farm at the foot of whinlatter allows same sex groups, probably best to give the owner a ring. http://stayinthornthwaite.co.uk/camping/

When we’ve stayed there and it’s busy there have been large groups of lads staying there also. Maybe don’t mention you’re on a stag party and just say a cycling club break perhaps.

Neil-S
    Free Member

I was just about to email you a link to this thread!

Whilst Wales is clearly not the Lakes, we could always go back to Penmachno. They didn’t seem fussed about the last two trips being stag dos.

The non-enlightened can go and tramp up and down Snowdon, there’s biking on the doorstep and we can always go underground again.

Neil-S
    Free Member

PS thanks for your help NBITF and GM.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As said above either a cottage or camping barn would be your best bet. The camping & caravan club site at eskdale have a camping barn but not sure how many it holds.

3 GREAT pubs in Boot too.

At least if you have either of the above you keep your rowdiness to yourselves.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I don’t officially know anything that would be suitable but ir_bandito might…

My brother had his at Gill Head Farm. Don’t recall any issues…

you’ll be wanting a bunk barn

Not many of those in the Lakes sadly. Its all family camping, youth hostels and expensive cottages…

mrchrispy

I’m racking the grey matter for the name of the place we stayed, twas a stag do and i was very ill the next morning. explains why I cant remember the name. was in the middle of know where.

binners

The one next to coniston at the waters edge is generally full of bell ends, I’d try there.

Hi. *waves*

Yip… thats where we tend to go. If you were after a quiet weekend, it’d be a nightmare. Luckily you’re not! A selection of boozers within staggering distance. Great trails on your doorstep for riding and walking, and you can be as rowdy as you like when you get back. Whats not to like?

momo

Did wonder if you’d spot this Neil!

I have contacted Private camping as it does sound like the ideal option really.

I’ll check out the other sites today and if nothing is a goer we can shift the venue to North Wales.

Thanks for the helpful comments

djglover
    Free Member

I have stayed at the Coniston site mentioned above. It was rowdy so you would probably get away with it there.

I wouldnt go back for a quiet weekend either or with the family.

ianfitz
    Free Member

could try either greystoke or mungrisdale village halls.

I’ve stayed overnight at both. Greystoke has space for tents, Mungrisdale doesn’t but is huge and both are over the road from pubs

Harris
    Free Member

Try here as an alternative to camping. The adjacent property should provide enough rooms. Great location. Walna Scar and the Old Man right from the door and yards from some great pubs.

postierich
    Free Member

Coniston Hall will let anyone on great spot for beer and biking!

Stayed at Rookin House to but isolated for riding without a bit of road work! Penrith gets my vote for a night out rather then Keswick!

al2000

For a stag do it has to be Coniston Hall – you’ll fit right in.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have contacted Private camping as it does sound like the ideal option really.

Good stuff; looks an interesting option. Don’t know the guy really, but I know he’s a local chap and I often see camps set up when I’m out and about, so I guess it must be pretty popular. There’s often one right next to Coniston lake; another one I’ve seen is in a field round the back of Blawith, so right on the doorstep to Subberthwaite/Woodland common (some nice riding round there). Red Lion pub about 1 mile’s walk away.

cdaimers

Eskdale beer festival is coming up….

globalti
    Free Member

Having been on the receiving end of a few rowdy groups in camp sites, including one bunch of morons in Pembrokeshire who came back from the pub, circled their cars with the headlights on and proceded to hold a late night footie match, I couldn’t enjoy a stag weekend camping as I’d be too worried about making noise. A camping barn has to be the more appropriate solution.

slowoldman

explains why I cant remember the name. was in the middle of know where.

You mean the middle of don’t know where.

iain65
    Free Member

Sole use: http://www.wallabarrow.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/1723?opendocument&part=3 might be a squeeze at 10 people capacity but some great riding in the area and a pub down the road.

ElShalimo

Coniston Hall is ideal ‘cos its not very good, run by money-grabbing bar stewards and it seems that anything goes
    Overall if you’re not in a boozy stag-do gang it’s a pretty dire place to be.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Lake district campsite for stag do’ is closed to new replies.