Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • lake district bike tyre/bike chioce?
  • grazedknees
    Free Member

We are heading up to The lakes for new year and I need some bike/tyre advice.

Should I take my old robust hard tail with v brakes or my full sus (epic)?

Which tyres would best suit the terrain- I run skinny southern race tyres most of the year but hear there might be a few rocks oop north?

Any folk who live/ ride up there regularly?

carlphillips
    Free Member

run some skinny northern tyres whatever they are.. 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

Any bike with round rubber tyres hth 🙂

wheelz
    Free Member

I managed to circumnavigate The Lakes quite happily on my epic fitted with Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres.

ton

hardtail and big grippy tyre is good for the lakes…

grumm
    Free Member

If you are riding natural stuff in the Lakes I would take a full suss personally. Depends how you ride but I prefer pretty beefy tyres like 2.3-2.5 High Rollers or Big Earls.

snowpaul
    Free Member

hardtail, 2.2/3 tyres and a decent set of low gears…. the lakes are superb but unforgiving weather wise at times and very technical in places – if you want something tamer re weather try the scalextric tracks there…

paul

snowslave

Don't take a full suspension bike with proper brakes in case it gets damaged

grumm
    Free Member

Don't take a full suspension bike with proper brakes in case it gets damaged

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Depends on yourt route choice. It's one of the very few places in England (note, I said England) that really might warrent a full suss bike that has more than 4" of travel, I mean actual mountains and real continuous rough stuff. Opinions vary, of course!

snowslave

oh grumm!!!!!!!!!

grazedknees
    Free Member

Now Im totally confused! Think Im erring towards hard tail and beefy tyres just to keep the race bike in race condition.

Any recommended routes near Wasdale?

Thanks everyone!

grumm
    Free Member

oh grumm!!!!!!!!!

Wasdale? Take a light bike as you'll be carrying it a lot!

Saintly
    Free Member

Are you hoping that the snow covered hills will have melted by New Year? I live just outside Askham and I would imagine the snow will last a fair bit round here. It will need to warm up significantly to dissappear.

Mud x and nobby nic on the hardtail nearly all year round, nobby nic's a bit sketchy in the snow but still good fun. Bigger tyres on the full suss but it doesn't get ridden that much.

ampthill

Wasdale isn't the best bet for a ride. I think over the shoulder towards Eskdale would be the best bet for actual riding

Well worth getting bigger tyres on either bike.

I have Maxxis High rollers 2.35. These are smaller than they sound?!

I have used them in the lakes and they were fine. I did once do a ride with 1.8 trail blasters. I wouldn't recomend it, its not imposssible, just not ideal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘lake district bike tyre/bike chioce?’ is closed to new replies.