Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lake Districit Location
  • Jerome
    Free Member

Looking at spending this weekend there.
    Would be for walking/ hanging out in pub..
    May ride but would have to hire bikes.
    Seen a nice cottage in Windermere which would be handy as we have to drive home south.
    Any recommendation around location, is Keswick much prettier ??
    We may have a crack at scaffell if weather is good..
    Cheers
    J.

grumm
    Free Member

I prefer the area around Keswick personally (plus then you could go to Whinlatter and hire bikes 🙂 ) – scenery is a bit more dramatic I think.

Blencathra via Sharp Edge is one of my favourite walks/scrambles in the Lakes and is nice and close too.

geoffj

Windermere is ok, but there is more going on in Ambleside and better bike hire options.
    But it can be full of goretex coated biffers who wear leggings and walking boots to walk up the steps in gaynor's and nowt else.
    Grasmere is worth a look too.

cxi
    Free Member

Staveley between Kendal and Windermere

Wheelbase for bike hire / demos
    The Eagle & Child for food and beer
    Wilf's for more food
    Hawkshead Brewery for more beer

domino

Second what cxi says.

You can ride from the door at The Eagle and Child up the Kentmere valley there are numerous options – I'm sure Wheelbase will point you in the right direction. Accomodation at the Eagle and Child and the food were nice.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

If you're planning Scafell then you're better off looking at Wasdale/Eskdale. If you're planning Scafell Pikes – a completely different mountain – then you're better off starting from Seathwaite in Borrowdale, or Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale. But be warned – both those mountains are remote, and in bad weather are difficult for a newcomer to handle. Navigational skills are most definitely required. You will need a full day whichever mountain/route you choose.

geoffj

Stavely is a good option too, but IMHO it doesn't feel like being in the lakes.

Jerome
    Free Member

Not finding too many cottages.
    Thinking of just whinging it and getting b's and b's.
    J.

grumm
    Free Member

Wasdale is lovely and a good base for Scafell/Scafell Pike. Dunno about saying they are a completely different mountain – they are right next to each other, although admittedly it's not easy to go between them.

Staveley is a good call though it's not as pretty in the Lake District postcardy kind of way. Very handy for driving back down south. You could try and stay in Kentmere just up the road, very pretty and handy for High Street.

cxi
    Free Member

Give the Eagle & Child call for B&B – the rooms might be not be huge but you don't care after a night suppping / stuffing your face

Chris.

geoffj

Try Cumbrian cottages, they do weekend lets

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Dunno about saying they are a completely different mountain – they are right next to each other, although admittedly it's not easy to go between them.

Agreed, but I think OP is a Lake District virgin, so it's best not to overface him with talk of Foxe's Tarn, Broad Stand, Lord's Rake, West Wall Traverse or that ruddy great boulder that is just waiting for the right conditions to crash down into Hollow Stones and obliterate everything in its path!

Jerome
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help.
    Just booked a cottage in Matterdale.
    No where near Scaffel I agree but that was only an idea.
    Location looks nice.
    We will see..
    Cheers
    J.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lake Districit Location’ is closed to new replies.