Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Laid off 2 weeks before Christmas ! – Going Solo :-0
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Well today I got laid off work, with 1 hours notice !

I’m a self employed contractor, but have been with the same company for ages, and just presumed it would carry on.
    But for whatever reason, they are not taking on any more work until march at the earliest !!!!

Seriously can’t afford to be so long without work 😐

So me and another contractor I’ve been working with have decided to start our own business (we do all the work and are more than capable of pricing the jobs accurately)

Just a bit nervous about going it alone, and having to find the work etc.

Any advice ??

(and if anyone in the York/Otley/Harrogate and surrounding areas needs any Help/Advice/quotes for insulation/plastering/plumbing work, we would be happy to help !!!)

Advice is free, but we will need to charge for Materials and Labour :mrgreen:

Mantastic
    Free Member

Good luck

higgo
    Free Member

Crack on fella.

jonba
    Free Member

Good luck.

My advice as some one who has employed people to do this type of work is make yourself look professional. Get a professional looking website built (not necessarily by a professional). I started off looking at google as I hadn’t got a clue. Get a landline number people can call and give an address. I don’t want to deal with someone who only gives out a mobile number. Looks like they are going to do a runner. Give quotes promptly and in a proper format. Not the back of an envelope. Finally, accept that you customer might not have a clue and needs help being guided through decisions. You should be able to explain in simple terms what you are suggesting without being patronising.

Stoner
    Free Member

good luck to you.

There’s a deep pool of advice in here (underneath the shit that seems to always rise to the top 😉 ) so if you need any help on things like invoice templates, or setting up a Co, or VAT or how to blag the bank manager, just ask away.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Not a good time, but go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

epicyclo

Not staying on top of outstandings is what kills many small businesses. Get your customers geared to paying promptly.

donsimon
    Free Member

Any advice ??

Go for it.

Advice is free, but we will need to charge for Materials and Labour

But remember that everything has a cost, even the ‘free’ advice. Salesmen don’t work for free, so get the mindset changed.

Good luck.

RustyMac

Good luck with the new venture, hope it works out for you and your mate.

There was a tread a wee while back from DD which covers alot on the expectations of a tradesman (well from a singletrackworld point of view) are. There is some good info in there.

Make yourself a simple and easy to use invoice in a word or excel type program that is clrarly set out and easy to use. It doesn’t need to be super flash but should look professional and be strait forward to use so invoicing after a job only takes minutes rather than hours.

Try and keep ontop of getting payments on time, as others have said this can make or break a small buisness.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Laid off 2 weeks before Christmas ! – Going Solo :-0’ is closed to new replies.