Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Laggan- opinions.
  • akira

Going to be heading up there later in the year, only got a day to spend there but was wondering what people recommend.
    It’ll be me and the wife, she hasn’t ridden much since the twins appeared but has previously been to Morzine, Wales etc so isn’t too shoddy.
    General opinion is the black is pretty technical so was thinking of sticking to the red and maybe some of the other bits.

crazy-legs

It’s quite short – only about 15km all told but the red is very nice and flowy and there’s a few black options (all signposted, all avoidable). Pick up one of the trail maps from the cafe, the route is in two halves split by a long fireroad climb. First half you have to detour off the red to do the black (which is technical in as much as you need full commitment to it rather than being unrideable by mere mortals) but it’s easy enough to go back and do sections again – just get to the bottom, back up the fireroad and off you go on the next option.

The cafe is nice but it’s usually only one person working there so the wait can be a bit long but the food is well worth it. Massive portions!

mysterymove
    Free Member

Was there last week, i think it’s a great center. Rode with a mixed ability group and everyone loved it, you can just cut off and do which ever loop you like as they all end in the same place. My girlfriends just getting into it and generally a little nervous and even she loved the red…

seosamh77
    Free Member

I was up the other week, just stuck to the red myself, which i found easy enough, most difficult bit on it is a couple of bits at the start of the upper red, but once by that it’s fine, saying that though i had 2 complete novices with me, and they struggled with it, poor bikes and bike skills were their undoing, if your missus is alright on a bike she’ll be fine on the red…

momo

Only been once back in 2008, wasn’t overly impressed by the upper red, but the lower red section was good, nice and flowy with some technical sections. The black trail was very good, as said above needs commitment to make it down clean, but it’s a very enjoyable challenge. Not very long but easy enough to do 2 or 3 times in a day to get the distance in, as nearly all the climbing is done on the fireroad.

grum
    Free Member

Me and the missus both really liked Laggan – the climb feels quite easy and some of it is quite enjoyable, and you seem to get a lot of descending in return. The last bit is marked as ‘freeride’, but it’s all relatively gentle berms and tabletops which can be rolled.

We just stuck to the red as I don’t think she would have been into the black – would love to go back at some point and do the black though.

bigjim

the lower red is quite good fun, someone who hasn’t ridden much will find the rock slabs at the top tricky though, and don’t show them ayr’s rock! saw danny macaskill, ruaridh cunningham and a couple of other handy types there yesterday.

akira

Sounds good. She will be fine with the red, hmmm black sounds interesting though…….

t-p26
    Free Member

Usually do it as a break from the driving en route to WC week @ Fort William. It fills in a few hours 🙂 I enjoy it. Mix of red and black stuff

Bunnyhop

Its my second favourite trail centre (after Penmachno, which only has the trail, no centre).

The top red is good for ‘sessioning’ the descent. If its quiet you can practise the jumps.
    The lower red is fun if its dry, however I’m not keen on the boardwalk, which for me seemed very high off the ground.

ftr1873
    Free Member

Luckily as many have said, the trails are fairly centralised and based around the fire road climb. The black is technical but is a buzz once you’ve ridden it. I prefer the lower red and they’ve added a shortcut from just before the boardwalk, onto a fire road which allows you to join the ‘Orange’ midway.

If it’s the weekend they normally do an uplift service too.

forge197
    Free Member

I enjoyed the trails there good mix of different trails for varying abilities, was good fun, not going to make it back this year but would like another go at the black.

Northwind

I never got round to doing the upper red but the black and lower red are very good. The jumpy section’s a wee bit worn out but still decent, very well laid out- excellent sightlines so you know what’s coming. Excellent place to ride really.

chickenman

Why is it that Airs Rock is a piece of cheese, yet Dalbeatie Slab gives me the willies??

Northwind

chickenman – Member

Why is it that Airs Rock is a piece of cheese, yet Dalbeatie Slab gives me the willies??

Slab certainly feels steeper, Airs Rock has a dead easy entrance as well, and a long exit too. Also you’re not just riding it straight off a fireroad climb, which helps. I feel the same, I just rolled up and did Airs Rock without really thinking about it but the Slab took some internal dialogue :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Laggan- opinions.’ is closed to new replies.