Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Lady Cannings is CLOSED
  • steveh

Full details and latest information will be on the pinned post on the Ride Sheffield Facebook page if you want to check the status in the coming weeks.

Due to the huge amount of rain we’ve had recently the water table in Lady Canning’s has risen massively and the volume of water has caused damage to the trail. There are even a couple of springs rising through the surface of the trail itself. We need a dry period to get the water table to lower and when this happens we’ll be able to fully assess the damage and the best way to fix it. We’ll also get the new start put in at the same time all being well.

Please do not ride the trail while it is closed. We did tape and some blocks at the end of last week but it has clearly been ridden over the weekend further damaging the trail. We’ve been back in today and covered the trail with obstacles every few metres and tape at intervals as well.

If you have any questions drop me an email (in profile), email info@ridesheffield.org.uk or post here.
    Thanks
    Ride Sheffield

FOG

When I drove past on Saturday there were loads of people unloading bikes in the two near car parks so I think you are going to need lots of signs before people get to the trail starting point.

steveh

We’re doing all we can with social media etc and also I thought this post my help spread the word further. There are over 100 logs across the trail now so it would take some riding!

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Seems the logs have have worked. I saw quite a few people turning back from it today.

steveh

Good news that folks were turning bad but bad news we’ve not managed to get the word out to enough people yet. Please help us spread the word if you can.

steveh

Bump for the morning crowd.

Northwind

Quick question for you- if there’s signage at the trailhead, does it say why it’s closed? It’s something FC started doing, wee explanations, particularily “It might look OK but riding it will damage it”, that sort of thing, it seems to be pretty effective. Seems like a lot of people who bypass signs/blocks can be convinced not to if they know the reasons, basically

steveh

Yes I did out a bit on the signs about the reasons but point taken a bit more probably wouldn’t hurt.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

keeper of the peak on twitter could probably help spread the word.

steveh

Good point I’ll message him!

steveh

I am going to keep bumping this to try and make sure we get the message out.

Northwind

I saw MBR tweeted it just now (why the **** does twitter tell me what MBR are doing?)

steveh

Yeah I think they picked up on the KoftheP tweets. It’s all good for getting the word out.

steveh

Another bump to try and keep the word spread!

steveh

Just a quick update, the trail is still closed and will be for 2-3 weeks yet. We will carry out repairs and reinstate the start at the same time and then we’ll announce the reopening plan as soon as we can.
    Thanks for staying off it until it’s ready.

sq225917
    Free Member

looked epically dug-up today…

steveh

What do you mean sq?

chrisrobs
    Free Member

dug up? as in vandalised?

sq225917
    Free Member

As in tree felling, path building

steveh

The new access road you mean? If so that’s been planned for some time.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Hi Steve, any updates on the trail condition/opening?

Thanks

steveh

Sorry only just had another look at this thread. Still closed, it’ll be another couple of weeks probably until we can do all the repairs and reinstate the start.
    Keep an eye on the Ride Sheffield facebook or twitter for the latest news and lots of shouting when we reopen.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lady Cannings is CLOSED’ is closed to new replies.