Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Ladies, please….(swim etiquette comments)
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok yesterday morning it was Mrs Breastroke with the aggressively wide leg kick in the fast lane – thanks for the whacks!! – and today at lunchtime it was Mrs KO-Perfume. Gagged every lap as this cloud of sickliness engulfed the pool….moved lanes in the end to get some fresh air

….please no perfume and/or at least shower before hand to get rid of the worst. Still gagging now.. 😯

..und breastroke ist verboten!! 👿

jam-bo

I very much doubt they will read this…

jekkyl

oh the struggles of daily life.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You’ve come to the right place to talk to ladies, there’s, literally, hu….,thou…a few of them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mrs KO-Perfume rode off on a MTB so here’s hoping

Pigface
    Free Member

Why is breaststroke verboten?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I hate other people in a swimming pool, I’d go more often is I could find a pool all to myself! 😆 infact, I’d go every day.

maccruiskeen

I hate other people in a swimming pool,

So do Mrs KO Perfume and Mrs Kungfu Breaststroke. The OP can’t take the hint though. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

That’s why I normally go very early or very late!

maccruiskeen

I’m surprised you manage to float with such thick skin 🙂

bails

So do Mrs KO Perfume and Mrs Kungfu Breaststroke. The OP can’t take the hint though.

It might have been accidental, after all, it must be difficult to get close enough to sniff their hair without getting kicked.

doris5000

let’s add in Mr Letching At Women Until They Leave Out Of Sheer Discomfort and Mr Watery STRAAAVAAAAA while we’re at it…

Also, children playing. I’m trying to plod my way through a few desperate lengths here, stop moving around and having fun you little brats.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Because THM is an old tri-athlete so breaststroke is not allowed but messing about with ….

Hand paddles
    Fins
    Ankle Bands
    Floats
    Stroke counters
    Lap watches
    And those god awful goggles with a snorkel up the middle….

are positively encouraged

Tri anchor …. 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

“Old” triathlete – how very dare you. “Ex” please.

Funnily enough I did empty some of the ^ out of my “old” swim bag last week. Like to swim free from “stuff” these days…ditto running and riding. Just go out and have fun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But I like stroking brea[b]Stop that now! Mods[/b]

teef
    Free Member

Because it was the fast lane – should be front crawl only

cinnamon_girl

The wearing of perfume should be a crime against humanity. Should only be worn in the privacy of one’s abode.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Poor spatial awareness…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Takes one to know one 😀

Although haven’t hung my fins up yet, still gotta tick off an IM or two at some point

But I’d agree completely with go out and have fun

48km obstacle race this saturday with 300+ things to scramble over … not sure I’ll finish… but so what ?? When I’ve had enough fun, I’ll stop.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good luck with that Ro5ey. I stopped at HIM as didn’t have time to train properly for IM and didn’t want to just plod round.

Loved HIM distance though (apart from cycling behind one bloke in speedos for a few km once – I have been disturbed every since). But got fed up with (cost and) kit as you hint at, especially in the pool. Old inner tubes round the ankles was the nadir!

So started off-road stuff, AR and then realised needed to learn how to MTB properly as I kept crashing. Love wild swimming these days.

finbar
    Free Member

Since we have a few swimmers on the thread, can I boast about the new 400m PB I swam last Friday? 5m22s 8)

mrsfry
    Free Member

Complaining about getting hit and perfume when your swimming in urine, poop,flakes and spit 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You’re not a swimmer, you are a fish.

Sub 6 is a long distant dream for me.

Bravo on the PB!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t forget good old tampon strings – actually do forget them, that is not the best thing to have in your line of sight

nickc

Just go out and have fun.

unless you’re in the pool, obvs…

Hell is other people. 😉

bluebird
    Free Member

Because it was the fast lane – should be front crawl only

Shouldn’t it be for fast swimmers?

finbar
    Free Member

You’re not a swimmer, you are a fish.

Sub 6 is a long distant dream for me.

Bravo on the PB!

Thanks Teamhurtmore 🙂 . I feel your pain on the breaststrokers in the fast lane. Literally – too often I get kicked by someone breaststroking down the other side and being twice as wide as they need to.

I also had the opposite a few weeks ago – I strayed into a tri club training session and some plonker in a wetsuit kept trying to swim over me. He was faster at tumble turning than me, but not actually fast enough to overtake properly once he was out of my draft.

verses

Since we have a few swimmers on the thread, can I boast about the new 400m PB I swam last Friday? 5m22s

Please say you mean you were attempting to swim 400 meters but only managed 5 meters 22 sentimeters (sic)??!!??!

Yeesh, that’s 20s quicker than my 300m PB!

bearnecessities

Yup, fast lane is a self-policing lane generally. Breastroke is fine as long as you have the require pace.

Messy freestyle technique should be banned more importantly!

Edit: Congrats finbar, that’s an astounding time 8)

finbar
    Free Member

Please say you mean you were attempting to swim 400 meters but only managed 5 meters 22 sentimeters (sic)??!!??!

Yeesh, that’s 20s quicker than my 300m PB!

Thanks. I came 6/10 in my heat 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Swim over you?? That’s all part of the training for OW starts!! Guildford Lido on Thurs!!

I had a break over the winter and just getting back into swimming again. Scarey how the speed has disappeared. Just focusing on having fun, bashing out a few 1.5-2ks and technique.

Although competitive juices were flowing a bit today when a guy gets in next to me and is obviously pacing off me/racing me for first 400m. Let him stay just ahead for 400m, then gradually upped the pace when his technique started to fade and then pushed hard to leave him trailing behind. Childish I know….but fun 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There’s an old bloke who has long standing/favoured status at our pool. Always starts the morning with a messy dump in trap 1, never showers and then swims backstroke with v wide arms in the fast lane. Hence nickname “smelly albatross”. Young guards are too scared to tackle him and he gets very aggressive when swimmers do. PITA.

grahamt1980

I always use the rather wide front crawl stroke when people do wide kicking. I will take a kick if it means i get to elbow them somewhere painful. Got someone on the head once, swimming down the middle of the lane it served them right.

finbar
    Free Member

I always use the rather wide front crawl stroke when people do wide kicking. I will take a kick if it means i get to elbow them somewhere painful. Got someone on the head once, swimming down the middle of the lane it served them right.

Ha! My old uni pool had a common issue with foreign students not understanding you need to swim clockwise/anticlockwise as per the sign at the top of the lane. I used to take childish satisfaction in timing my stroke to give them a sneaky punch if they didn’t learn.

vickypea
    Free Member

It wasn’t me! I can’t do breaststroke and I wouldn’t dream of spraying on perfume before a swim 😀

giant_scum
    Free Member

Good time finbar, did it in 5:51 at Scottish Masters last month. Pretty decent I thought until I met an old school friend who told me that his halfway split in the previous night’s 800m was 4:40, Jeebus!

mos

I thought this was going to be a grumble about those god awful footballers wife swim suits which are basically a bikini with a connecting strap up the front, usually worn with a set of slag antlers.
    If tha’s bin thru t’ t’ Metro dome i’ Barnsli then tha noz what ah mins.

egb81
    Free Member

I swam for a club when I was a kid and consequently can’t abide by the lack of etiquette in public swim sessions. We used to have a rule that if you touch the toes of the person in front of you, they stop and let you past. This notice should be placed at the end of each fast lane in every pool.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Training for our Channel swim a few years back, I ended up at the Commy pool in Edinburgh with the kids one Saturday not long after it re-opened.
    Decided to go and bash out a few lengths as they had lanes set up. Few Triathlete types and semi-serious looking swimmers in the lane I went into, they vacated pretty quickly after I overtook them a few times or it might have been because my dragon print beach shorts kept slipping down after every tumble turn.

tinybits
    Free Member

You’re my hero!

I swim, very slowly, in a lovely outdoor pool all year round. It’s only 22m long, but it does fine. Last Saturday morning there were 4 other people in it. This is the busiest it’s been.

Has the benefit(?) of a bit of celeb swimsuit spotting. Great when it’s the Beckhams, pretty awful when it’s Jonathan Ross!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Ladies, please….(swim etiquette comments)’ is closed to new replies.