Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Ladies opinions needed please
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On this thread

So what you you expect as "smart casual"? Should a man over 25 ever wear denim? Is it ever permissible to wear a shirt with a collar untucked? Is dressing like Clarkson cool?

Please help – it would appear most of us men are barely able to dress ourselves without help

coffeeking
    Free Member

😆

rOcKeTdOg

smart casual cycle helmet? 😉

Bunnyhop

Most mtbers I've come across are lean and can get away dressed in anything.

Not keen on men of a certain age wearing denim, faded even more so.
    Men with big beer bellies need to cover them up.
    Men older than 25 look daft wearing hoodies etc.

However I am one of those people that dress according to the weather, so not able to give any fashion advice.

footflaps

Hmm, I'm 38 and have 3 hoodies….

DrJ

My 17 year old daughter stole my hoody 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

jeans, hoody, t-shirt, skate shoes at 42 – ooops

Ah well just as well I don't give a ****.

slowjo
    Free Member

full stop….all bar the hoody, me too and I'm 48! Runs away looking for pair of brogues, flannels, a viyella shirt, wool tie and tweed sports jacket. Now where did I put my pipe?

hels
    Free Member

Its more about the attitude than fixed rules. You can get away with hoodies etc if you don't have a middle aged accountant haircut.

And yes cover those bellies up.

And don't even think about wearing those jeans falling halfway down your legs that looks stupid enough on the youngsters.

hels
    Free Member

P.S "smart casual" is daft and you shouldn't attend any function on principal if it says that on the invite. If it is a work thing and you have to attend then your job is to subvert it – and from the looks of those pictures most of you have got that part right…

Moses

Ah bugger.
    Here I am at 56, wearing jeans, trainers, hoody.
    With much less hair than I had at 21.
    Sorry girls.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i only ever where black to 'functions'

but then i'm never actually attending them, just making them happen

I do tend to subvert from behind the scenes, i'll wear shorts at black tie events until i'm asked not too

anniison
    Free Member

Denims ok, as long as its not faded, skinny, or the kind of grandad blue Clarkson would wear. Denim, leather or sheepskin jacket is defo a no.

Nothing wrong with hoodies and combats and skate shoes if you have the personality to pull it off.

I quite like hawiian shirts on some men, but again, something you need to be able to pull of ;o)

Smart casual: Nice shirt, dark jeans/casual trousers, no trainers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do I? I bet I don't.

wwaswas

"I bet I don't."

who's opinion would accept as arbitration?

london_lady
    Free Member

"Is dressing like Clarkson cool?"

No no no no no no no no no …………

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – I don't get this bit

TandemJeremy – Member
    Should a man over 25 ever wear denim?

Surely any male under 25 is still only a boy?

crazy-legs

As hels says, smart casual is what I wear at work. Jeans, some vaguely smart shoes and a work branded polo shirt.

coffeeking
    Free Member

who's opinion would accept as arbitration?

Good question. Who's on offer and can I get a full survey instead of just TJ? 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

All depends what you're trying to look like?

Mid-life crisis or 'creative' hoody wearer?

Forum obsessed, shirt tucked in, geography teacher?

wwaswas

well, post a pic and we can all judge 🙂

Anna-B
    Free Member

Wear what you want! People's personality is reflected in their dress sense so there can be no right and wrong. I know a gentleman from this here area of the internet who is of retiring age but who looks great in his hoody and combats because it suits his attitude.

And regarding Jeremy Clarkson, I used to fancy him, surely that's so uncool as to be cool again?

greyman
    Free Member

interesting …. being over 25 (ahem) where then should I shop (for my sensible trousers and brogues)?

G (cheesecloth shirt generation – LOL)

snowslave

vicars have it easy

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

why do the younger generation seem to think that when you get to 40 you need to start wearing these;

http://www.meechs.co.uk/acatalog/Farah_Easy_Stretch_Trousers.html

I'm 44 own a couple of hoodies (helps to keep my shaved balding head warm), wear jeans buy stuff from Howies, White Stuff, fat face etc.

If you want to look old, dress old.

Smart casual could be a pair of jeans a nice quality shirt (you can afford it you're getting old!) and shoes (rather than trainers that have been around the block a couple of times) or shirt no tie and a suit or shirt sung fitting v neck jumper and jeans (trousers).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah thats okay then hels – 70kg and a crew cut here

juan
    Free Member

I'm 44 own a couple of hoodies (helps to keep my shaved balding head warm), wear jeans buy stuff from Howies, White Stuff, fat face etc.

STW IT crowed cliché 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Way to go Moses . I'm with Annabananna (well, except for the Clarkson bit 😉 ) – who cares what they think? I'm quite happy with my skinny jeans and BMX even if the kids do keep shouting 'sick bike!!' at me . . . must get it checked over 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

Wear what you're comfortable in – if you(one) feel comfortable, you can't get any cooler than that!

End of.

cinnamon_girl

I don't consider denim to be acceptable as "smart casual". Chinos-type trousers, perhaps a long sleeved polo shirt and some decent shoes would be my recommendation. Naturally said attire would have to be clean, pressed, free of lube, dog hair, food stains as would said attiree 🙂

I don't watch Top Gear so what's the problem with Jeremy's dress sense then?

A question for the under-40 guys – what should the over 40's wear then?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Is there anyone on here under 40? 😛
    Jeans are the clothes of the devil anyway, can never find any that my thighs and arse fit in without having to resort to a pair of 50" waist and a belt pulled in tight with the waist band looking like a busted rose!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

……………….
    I don't watch Top Gear so what's the problem with Jeremy's dress sense then?

He is in his 40's. wears blue jeans, polished shoes or hushpuppies, a open necked untucked shirt and a sports jacket. Its bad

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, it's a case of trying as many as possible.

50" waist sounds worrying though, as does a busted rose!

cinnamon_girl

Sorry but what's the problem? Love his curls 🙂 Jacket a bit dodgy though.

So what should the over 40's wear?

Same question for over-40 girlies too 😉

teagirl
    Free Member

Smart cas isn't jeans. Nice shirt, no tie, clean, shaven, funky shoes or leather, not trainers, non-denim trouders. Just make the effort without the suit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No man in his 40's should wear #jeans! Jeans should ne3ver be worn with a sports jacket.

FFS!

Over 40's – be imaginative and eclectic 🙂

Actually I wear mainly black – pressed trousers usually black, black shoes – docs only, single colour t shirt or polo shirt. Single colour nice wool jumper. Bright colours tho. Nothing with a logo ever

In summer I tend to go for pale linen instead. occasional harris tweed All done in a post ironic manner 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I'm 40 in March and don't imagine i'll suddenly throw away all of my jeans, hoodys, trainer collection, t-shirts etc. Who gives a monkeys what anyone else wears anyway?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*points an laughs at the rusty clarksonalike* 🙂

rebus
    Free Member

just turn up in your sandals jezzer

cinnamon_girl

TJ – I strongly disagree! I'm a middle-aged woman so should I not wear skinny jeans or high heeled boots!! There is nothing wrong with my figure!!

I understand what you are saying about your choice of clothing – clean lines, understated. That sounds good 🙂

Rusty – get back out on that bmx 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Ladies opinions needed please’ is closed to new replies.