Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ladies – can you recommend me some warm/winter Spds for the wife?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Out today with the wife, she enjoyed it but got really cold feet in her specialized shoes which have lots of mesh venting in them.

So what do all the girls use to keep their toes cosy on winter rides? Any good female specific winter boots, or does everyone just use toe covers?

lapierrelady

My winter shoes are one size bigger than my summer shoes to accommodate thick socks then I wang some rubber shoe condoms http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275
    over the top of those and I’ve never had cold feet even in -4. I wear flats for mtb so no mesh=no problem!

cinnamon_girl

SealSkinz Merino work for me, wear flats though all year.

organic355
    Free Member

Is there anything like Spesh BG defroster or sidi diablos available for women?

What makes cycling shoes Women specific anyway? different shape/cut?

orangina
    Free Member

I wear these:
    Lake
    Toasty. I cycle mostly in flats now though, and find your feet stay warmer in these.

cinnamon_girl

Ladies shoes tend to be narrower width wise with narrow heel cup. I wear men’s as I’ve got large wide feet! Oh and I don’t do pink. 🙄

domino

I wear Shimano MW80 winter boots that are Gore Tex lined. They are nice and toasty but I do suffer from cold hands and feet (as I have Raynauds) so for long very wet or snowy rides I also use disposable chemical toe warmers that stick to my socks. They have lasted almost 3 winters now and though they do let water in on very wet rides these days they have been really good.

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

Is there anything like Spesh BG defroster or sidi diablos available for women?

I couldn’t find any so bought a male size 39 Spesh BG defroster. A size bigger than my normal size 5 but are really comfortable with a SealSkinz thick mid length sock.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My GF has the Spesh Defrosters – they fitted fine.

As for an extra size we actually went a little smaller as it should remove the need for the seal skinz (personal preference) The thing that made the biggest difference was if she wasn’t driving was to pop them on before we left the house so they were tosty warm when we started riding.

Bunnyhop

As a rider with flats now. I am using walking boots with sealskinz.
    Sorry not much help there.

Clover

Lakes are very warm. The other solution is neoprene overshoes over normal spds and mohair socks. Lakes are great unless you are guaranteed to get water in then they just keep it in sloshing round your feet. I do the overshoes if I am guaranteed to get wet feet as they drain well and warm up. Especially with decent socks.

organic355
    Free Member

Do spesh defroster come in a 38? Can only seem to find size 39?

Otherwise it’ll have to be mw81s

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

Organic – No. The smallest size is 39 which is annoying for the females! Why they can’t accommodate the female rider is beyond me. That is why I wear the thick sealskinz sock with them. It makes a great fit and toasty warm feet are the norm now.

alfabus
    Free Member

My missus has reynauds (like domino above) – her fingers and toes go completely white in even slightly cold conditions.

She uses Shimano winter boots and has no problems.

She also uses bar mitts when it is properly cold to keep her hands warm – she has both road and mtb ones and loves them; they let her wear just summer or liner gloves even when it is snowing.

Dave

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ladies – can you recommend me some warm/winter Spds for the wife?’ is closed to new replies.