Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Labour to end AST?????
  • mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/12/labour-plans-crackdown-rogue-landlords

so does anyone really think that Labour are going to do anything about the two months notice thing… Does anyone think Labour are actually going to do anything to improve renters rights, not as though they didn’t have the chance to do something about it over the last decade…

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Of course not, giving tenants more rights would make BTL less attractive for landlords and kick away one of the few remaining supports to the housing bubble.

Prices might fall and we can’t have that can we.

mogrim

Labour to end AST?????

But then… how will my compiler work?

peteimpreza

They are not the government so they cant do anything on any subject. They would need to be re-elected first.

mrmo
    Free Member

They are not the government so they cant do anything on any subject. They would need to be re-elected first.

ok, if elected will labour end ast’s????

, is that better?

and considering how popular the tories are? i know anything can happen , but it would take a miracle IMO for the tories to be re-elected.

peteimpreza

The election is ages away, they will change their mids a gazzillion times on each and every subject by then.

And, as with every political party, they will ignore or break most of the promises in their election manifesto.

Nothing to get worked up about for at least three years.

Even if they did get elected and stuck to a policy, it would still have to go through the parliamentary process before becoming law and being implemented.

Get a grip and calm down man.

tinybits
    Free Member

two questions, firstly what precisely is he planning to do? Stop landlords having any rights to actually get their houses back if they want?
    Secondly, what the **** is ‘One Nation labour’ Is that like a slow echo of call me Dave’s big society idea?

mrmo
    Free Member

two questions, firstly what precisely is he planning to do? Stop landlords having any rights to actually get their houses back if they want?

Do i give a ****, i like most tenants just want a house to live in and not face being evicted in two months because some amateur changed their mind.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

and considering how popular the tories are? i know anything can happen , but it would take a miracle IMO for the tories to be re-elected.

But what’s the other option? Nick Clegg has made the previously credible Lib Dems a laughing stock. Or we could have a weak, bullied at school PM with no visible leadership qualities like Edd Milliband from the party that got us into this big, big mess in the first place – err no thanks! Only option left is BNP, but then I’m not a racist so I guess that precludes me from voting for them.

It’s about time tenants got more security though. As renting seems to be becoming the new norm then AST’s are well out of date. Young families need to be given a chance to make a rented house into a home, not under threat of 2 months notice and all the upheaval and worry this could cause.

Perhaps the government should look to Germany for a rental system that works very well?

tinybits
    Free Member

So buy a house? There’s two sides to each story and I’ve never served notice on a tennant before they started to default on rent or cause damage (and i mean cause it on purpose, not neglect which tennants are often poor at in my experiance) also am very, very upfront about what will happen but why do I have a duty to provide accommodation to someone? The houses / flats aren’t free you know.

tinybits
    Free Member

Actually, having had a quick scan of the German system, I like the look of it. As long as it tied the tennant in for the same length of time it looks very good. Also it’d make people take more care over the properties which id be more than happy with.

MoreCashThanDash

This will be the same Labour party who overhauled the Housing Benefit system, leaving us the current one where landlords have been able to inflate rents regardless of the condition of the property, and contributing quite a big chunk of the £5 billion increase in the HB budget in recent years?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Labour to end AST?????’ is closed to new replies.