Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • KS i950 dropper post: issues and views
  • simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Used said post yesterday on what was probably a 14 mile ride and by 3/4 the way through I was having issues with what I thought was dirt in the cable to the point of struggling to press the remote down and when it would work it was getting stuck meaning it would just keep moving up and down when I sat on the saddle.

Had a nosy at it today and the cable was fine however there is lots of grit affecting the actuation lever on the top of the post. I have the little rubber whatsit that attaches to the cable stop on but I presume it’s going onto the under Neath of the saddle and dropping / bouncing into the top of the post.

Has anyone had these issues and if so what did you do? (Rear mud guard, something on the saddle to deflect the mud?)

Thanks
    Simon

singlespeedstu

Bit of old inner tube ziptied across the saddle rails keeps all the shite away from the actuation pin on mine.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Ta Stu. Had that thought. Front and back?

singlespeedstu

Up the rear. 😯

Northwind

Have to say I really don’t like the cable location… Just tried turning mine back to front so the cable drops in front of the tube, seems good so far, need to play with it a bit more though.

scotroutes

What we really need is a dropper post where the cable doesn’t move with he post, where the mechanism is protected against dirt and that only needs a wee bit of maintenance a couple of times a year using standard grease and a couple of basic tools.

Northwind

scotroutes – Member

What we really need is a dropper post where the cable doesn’t move with he post

For the £100-or-thereabouts saving over a 6 inch Lev, it’s worth it IMO 😉

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Scot- that sounds like a Lev.
    Northwind- there’s still a slot located at front isn’t there? I also need a bit of layback too.

Rubber protection at rear (of the saddle) sounds like the best option I think.

Northwind

When you turn it around, it all looks pretty awful tbh but it does seem to bolt together OK, for my seat angle anyway. There’s a slot at the front (now the back) which will still let mud through- if I can get it perfect, I’ll probably block that up a bit.

singlespeedstu

It’s much easier to just ziptie a bit of old tube to the seat rails that piss about trying to use it backwards.

Northwind

Yeah, but reversing it also improves the cable routing- main reason I’m doing it.

I may have mentioned this before, incidentally, but how bad is the seat clamp? How hard can it be? The one on the i900 is pretty bad but they really upped their game with this one…

singlespeedstu

The post getting in the way of the bolts is a bit daft but once set it’s not a problem.

Cable routing isn’t a problem with a simple home made cable tie guide.

Northwind

Maybe on some bikes. On mine, nowhere I put it avoids either getting caught up in the linkage or buzzing the tyre. Well, maybe something elaborate like routing down through the linkage loosely then allowing a loop inside the front triangle, but that’d be pretty nasty.

Meanwhile, putting it back to front fixes that completely, and did I mention it protects the lever from mud 😉

singlespeedstu

and did I mention it protects the lever from mud

You mentioned that mud still get’s through to the actuating pin yes. 🙂

Maybe you need to get rid of that awfull rocker beamed bike. 😛

Northwind

Blocking the wee slot is simpler and less ugly than bits of inner tube on your saddle though 😉

singlespeedstu

It’d look invisible compared to the rest of the bike. 😆

Northwind

It hurts because it’s true 🙁

Ironically I’m putting the i900 with its easy cable management onto the Ragley. Ah well. It’s shorter but so far it’s done everything better.

singlespeedstu

I’m only messing. 🙂

I’ll try and remember to do a pic of how i’ve got the tube on mine.
    You’d only see it if you were looking for it.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve attached a rubber o-ring (the type used to secure lights to bars etc) between the lever and seat rails, this helps the lever return when it inevitably gets gunked up.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Stu, a pic would be great.

evh22
    Free Member

Watch out if you turn it back to front, if you have it with any layback bits of the clamp at the rails stick out and tear big holes in your shorts. Prevented with some gaffa tape. I’ve run it up from a loop created by a zip tie and gaffa from below the post. All looks pretty rubbish but does finally work.

Mine started doing what you described after three rides and eventually seized up completely so it may be back to KS for you. Mine has spent longer in the factory than on my bike.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

It seems like a real design flaw. Surely everyone will eventually get some dirt or debris in the mechanism.

Will try guarding it from the back with an old tube and see how it goes.

evh22
    Free Member

The whole thing is one big design flaw.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘KS i950 dropper post: issues and views’ is closed to new replies.