Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • KS Exaform Speed Up- ideal winter/second bike dropper?
  • swanny853

Not sure how I’ve missed this until now- yes, it’s not a ‘proper’ dropper in that it doesn’t have a remote, but it’s cheap, got a decent length of drop at up to 175mm and should hopefully be easy to service.

at 18 bikes

Work as a ‘spare’ dropper for when the nice one is off on a warranty claim too.

Now if they’d just do a 27.2 version it would perfect for my crosser.

jam-bo

they’ve reinvented the titec scoper.

tpbiker
    Free Member

It not the lack of remote tht would put me off as much as the fact that you have to pull it up by hand to extend it.

Marginally better than a qr i suppose, but not by much

Gotama
    Free Member

Hmm, I quite like the idea of that for simplicity sake although having used a gravity dropper with the crotch switch at the weekend it is bloody awkward compared to my Transfer.

swanny853

Agreed, it’s not really a replacement for a proper remote dropper but I’ve been riding a bike with a qr seatpost again recently and have been reminded how much of a pain I think it is.

For titting about in the woods ‘ride somewhere, chuck bike around, ride home’ stuff it could be grand.

Gotama
    Free Member

To be honest I reckon it would be ideal for my usual riding as it is typically ride to the top, stop, chat, descend and repeat. All the down is with the seatpost slammed. The problem with a qr was getting the same height every time, getting it straight and also the build up of mud around the post making it harder to push it down/pull it up. And with my reverb imminently off to evans for a warranty this might be worth a punt.

Kahurangi

I’d get one for the singlespeed (no cables!) but that’s 27.2 mm 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

85 quid though for something you’ll use when your proper one is broken?

Don’t you lot know what n+1 is for?

woodster

£85 and they can’t even be bothered to chuck a spring in there. It’s a shame Decathlon stopped making those £30 droppers.

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got one, been using it for about 4 weeks. I bought it as a stop gap until I had the funds for a proper dropper post, and whilst it’s better than a QR and normal post, it’s not really comparable to a proper dropper. I’ll be upgrading sharpish, but I may well end up keeping it for when whatever dropper I get eventually dies.

RustyNissanPrairie

Just bought one of these in 170mm drop, I’m a winch and plummet kinda rider who frequently stops, so not having a remote is fine with me (I’ve quite happily gone back to a Thomson elite ‘normal post after recent hydraulic dropper hassles).

Will report back if anyone is interested?

Del

please, ta!

chopchop
    Free Member

I bought one of these a few months ago for a second bike. I found it impossible to use whilst on the move and having to stop to adjust made it no easier than using a standard post with a QR, just marginally quicker. It broke by staying stuck down after not many rides and I returned it, I’m awaiting a replacement. 18bikes have been faultless throughout the process, quick comms and great service.

lister

Anymore user reviews on this?
    I was wondering if it would be good on a kids bike…quicker for me to drop their seats before a tech section, I’m not expecting them to do it on the fly though.

Ta

NormalMan

Thread bump.

I’m thinking of getting one of these to dip my toe in the world of dropper posts.

Any other reviews / owner experiences?

I’ll rarely drop it and generally for stopping off at a few jumps etc once now and then so it simple nature appeals.

Thanks as always.

NormalMan

One more bump for a new week. Especially given all the ‘my dropper just broke’ posts recently.

Any more user reviews / owner experiences?

zigzag69
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d be buying this for roughly the same £?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tranzx-remote-seatpost-31.6mm-490757

Been running one for 18 months / 750 miles on my main bike.

NormalMan

I ordered the speed up while I was away and it was waiting for me on my return. It is far heavier than I’d been quoted though.

With that in mind, while I could still return it, how does it compare to the RSP plummet? Same price, although the plummet is heavier it does have a remote etc.

sambob
    Free Member

Turns out mine broke soon after my original post, a normal seatpost was better than the Exaform because I could at least lower it. Wouldn’t have another.

robf
    Free Member

I have reverb Stealth on my T130C RS and a KS speed up on my Gisburn.

They are very different.
    Reverb is smoother, returns with a spring rather than a pull and the remote often gets me out of unforeseen trouble.

You might not think you need a remote but you’d be surprised how much you use it once you have it.

The crotch handle doesn’t work on the move off tarmac.

I’m considering putting my spare reverb onto my Gisburn …. haven’t so far because it’s not a stealth and I like internal cables.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Thought I’d bump this up, anyone have any more info on these things, particularly reliability?

People above seem to think it’s not usable on the move, but it that in comparison to a remote operated dropper, or other non-remote ones, e.g. old Gravity Droppers? I have a lever operated KS hydraulic dropper at the moment, but it’s only got 100mm drop, is not the most reliable and I can’t be bothered working out how to service it

So I’m mainly after an cheaper alternative to a Gravity dropper — something simple, reliable and with about 150mm drop.

And I don’t want a remote as I tend to switch for a rigid post fairly often.

damascus
    Free Member

Thread bump.

Any more feedback??

Should I avoid? I’m after a cheap 30.9 150 or 175 drop for n+1. (stealth wanted add)

I’m OK with lever dropper as I like to swop it put for bike packing and can’t be bothered with removing a stealth post and external routed ones mess with my ocd.

Thanks

geex
    Free Member

I’ve owned the 250mm Exa form post since it was realeased. (maybe a year ago?) I had to special order from Jungle it as it’s not for sale in th UK

I bought it to fit to my 4X hardtail where 250mm is the perfect drop to allow the saddle to be all the way to dirtjump/pumptrack/4X slammed height when fully droppeed and at full extension it’s the correct height to ride the bike seatd like an XC hardtail (4X bikes geometry isn’t far off XC hardtail geometry, they’re just shorter).

It’s not a dropper post though and was never really sold as one. it’s just a very handy way of changing saddle height without ever having to align the saddle straight or worry about it not being at the correct height for pedalling when pulling it up.

Not having a spring supporting the post means when you sit on it and pull the lever it will either drop incerdibly fast with a very harsh slam and you’re going to basically fall to the minimum height pitching you backwards in th process. but more often than not if your weight isn’t pushing down centrally above th shaft it will bind when the lever is pulled meaning you’d need to move your weight more centrally and thn it will fall away as described.
    This isn’t a problem for me as my intended use isn’t the same as a trail droper post. When riding when I want to drop the post I stand up off the saddle, reach back and drop it with my hand with no weight on it. Same as pulling it back up. It is a bit of a balancing act but it’s not a problem if you ar dcnt at riding on ehandd stood up. You can’t really do this very easily on properly rough ground but that’s not when I want to lower it anyway .I ride the bike more stood up with th saddle slammed than I ever do sat down at pealling height. (eg. somtimes I’ll leave it filly down for say 12 miles of XC because I’m used to riding bikes stood up for hours)

STEALTH FOR SALE AD:
    What’s your budget? I have loads of dropper posts I’m not using.

1x brand x 120mm (used for one week)
    1x brand x 170mm (brand new unused)
    1x Giant contact switch 150mm well used
    1x Giant contact switch 100mm well used
    1x reverb ext hose 125mm VGC

All 30.9

PM me if interested

akak
    Free Member

Have used a speed up for 18 months.  First one was warrantied after 2 months due to sag.  Perfectly usable any time you are sat down. If you are off the seat already there is nothing you can do – eg surprise trail features.

mildbore

I have one that came with my gravel bike. From new it felt rough and crude, I thought it was faulty and sent it back. 2nd one wouldn’t stay up so that went back. 3rd one I almost sent back as it felt like the 1st, but my LBS persuaded me to try and loosen it up by using it. Since I stopped expecting it to be like a proper dropper and just accept it’s a bit crude it’s been fine. It always feels a bit rough. Occasionally it binds, but a shift in weight sorts it. Overall the jury is still out, but if it proves reliable through the winter I may allow it to stay. It’s better than a qr but not as good as a proper dropper

legometeorology
    Free Member

I bought one too, 150mm travel 31.8mm diameter.

The first was warrantied for slipping down in travel after just a few weeks, which was a bit disappointing as I’d hoped mechanical = reliable. However Stif were superb and sent out a replacement immediately with no hassle.

The second is still going strong.

And I quite like it. It may not be anything like a proper handlebar dropper, but it’s far, far closer to a typical dropper than it is to a quick release seat clamp. I lower my seat at least once every 5 mins on my favorite local ride. I may lower it 50% more if I had a lever-operated dropper, but if I had just a QR clamp I’d probably change saddle height 2 or 3 times an hour max, probably not even that.

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>Also, I don’t know of any other 150mm lever operated droppers out there anyway.</span>

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘KS Exaform Speed Up- ideal winter/second bike dropper?’ is closed to new replies.