Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • KS droppers do they have a breaking in period?
  • hora
    Free Member

One ride old and its quite stiff/hard to operate etc (lever under saddle/non remote so not a cable issue).

Will it become smoother with use?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Both of mine were fine from day one.

marko75
    Free Member

I have an LEV and its been tip top since installation (only 4 rides in though!)

HermanShake
    Free Member

The spring in the return pin is strong, I’d give it a chance. Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to remote 😉

cazum
    Free Member

do you mean the leaver is stiff to move or that the post is stiff to move?

i find that the post is alittle stiff on the 1st few operations of the day but after that its fine!

(i900 /dropzone)

i would check if for grease unscrew the cap and check if its greased if not put alittle in there,

hora
    Free Member

Lever is fine, the post is stiff

unklehomered
    Free Member

I don’t know the seat post but is the air pressure right?

james
    Free Member

My original i900 was stiff (to drop the post) from new for a bit, but i950 wasn’t as bad

cazum
    Free Member

is it brand new?

reason i ask is you could strip it down and clean/grease the internals i do it every 5 or do rides (not that it needs it just anal that way)

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Mine was a bit stiff when first used but uppy downy a bit and it was fine

mrelectric

Possibly Seat post clamp torque? V important for Reverb stiffness

Popocatapetl

Just get a remote. i’ve had one on the Fuel ex for 4 years with no problems, just a quick spray with silicon oil after cleaning. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE IT APART, OR ATTEMPT TO PUT MORE AIR IN IT!!
    😀

hora
    Free Member

Only happens to me eh, its starting to develop a vertical single long score mark at the front of the stanchion only the 2nd ride. No its not trapped grit (checked). I ready about this somewhere years ago?

dibboid
    Free Member

Mines a bit sticky when first used if left at full extension but then frees up when used. (ks dropzone)

cazum
    Free Member

popocatapeti
    why not ? there are guides i regualrly take mine apart and re-build it! haven’t fully done the oil and air yet but there is a guide on how to do it!

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/ks-i900-fixed-fully-rebuildable-home-693843.html

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sounds like it might be swarf on the keys then. If it’s anything like the lev, it’s pretty straight forward to strip, clean and regrease.

robhughes
    Free Member

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE IT APART, OR ATTEMPT TO PUT MORE AIR IN IT!!

Why not…? there a doddle to work on.
    Full service
    http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/ks-i900-fixed-fully-rebuildable-home-693843.html
    General service.
    http://www.watermanatwork.com/Land/Cycling/BikeShop/KSAdjSeatpost/KSAdjSeatpost.html

robhughes
    Free Member

hora.Take it apart clean and re-grease the roller bearing.
    Also while it apart check the bush for any sharp edges from manufacture.
    Quick wet and dry around each edge.

Northwind

It’s under warranty, don’t take it to bits.

Superstar story- I got a KS i900 from them. Arrived, it didn’t work properly- stuck in position pretty much all the time. They said oh, give it a quick service, it’ll be fine. So I did, and it wasn’t fine, it was exactly the same. So sent it back and they said “You caused the problem when you serviced it, we’ve fixed it now but it’s your fault”. Though as it turned out, they hadn’t fixed it at all.

But! After the second return, they actually did fix it, and since then it’s been brilliant- it’s had one proper service, but other than that it’s just been wipedowns and sprays with lube and occasionally lifting the top ring to clean and grease underneath- 2 minute stuff.

JoeG
    Free Member

Hora – I had a similar scratch or mark appear on the quill of my KS Lev. I noticed it when relatively new as well. It was definitely something internal causing the scratch; I unthreaded the outer collar (with the seal) and there was nothing but a little clean grease inside. I think that it may have been one of the roller bearings, but I didn’t disassemble it to find out. The scratch was visible, and could barely be felt with a fingernail.

I got a return authorization from KS USA (I’m in the US) and sent it back. They turned it around in 24 hours (though it was in January, so not peak riding season). I realize that there is an issue with KS support in the UK right now, though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My 900 series lasted 1 ride, was repaired back at (Superstar by other name) great. However short of the general service instruction I would not do more while it is under warranty. If there is a score after 1 ride (and you are sure it’s clean) then return. However I’m sure you are aware of the non existent UK importer situation (unless someone else has picked it up) so weather you wait for a fix (would be interested to know where and by who to maintain warranty) or get cash back is up to you.

elaineanne
    Free Member

mine has worked fine no probs as yet…never gone stiff or anything…
    now you could possibly spray it with ‘3 in one SILICON lubricant’….dont use anything other than SILICON based product.. just spray very lightly… 😉

Popocatapetl

Er “Cazum”, we are talking about HORA here. He is legendary for making perfectly serviceable components into a “Beyond repair” state with a quick spot of fettling! He is also a “friend” whom i enjoy riding with, so i’m not being vindictive! 😀

cazum
    Free Member

ah…..

hora
    Free Member

Popocatapetl I’m going to tie you up whilst you are asleep on Sat night 😉

That was the Fox 36 Floats where I experimented with oil weights for compression and got my calculations wrong.. 😆

Two days and counting with Superstarcomponents. They are normally very quick with sales/shipping.

binners

I thought you enjoyed having something stiff battering you around your rear end anyway?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘KS droppers do they have a breaking in period?’ is closed to new replies.