Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Krishnan Guru-Murthy's interview with Robert Downey Jr.
  • SaxonRider

I have just read that it is being compared with the one Guru-Murthy did with Tarantino in 2013, but I think it is a bad comparison. I do think that Guru-Murthy ambushed Downey Jr in the recent interview, and that what he asked was wholly unfair. With Tarantino on the other hand, he was right to challenge his obsession with violence, and push him hard to offer some explanation for where he saw its place in the wider culture.

BigDummy
    Free Member

These interviews must be soooo boring for everyone involved. This is how it was meant to go:

KGM – Mr Downey Jr, we’re here to promote your new fillum, Avengers: Yet More. In this exciting new fillum, based on a children’s cartoon buke, you pretend to be a billionaire who dresses up as robot to fight bad people. That’s jolly exciting, isn’t it?

RD – It is. It’s a super fillum.

KGM – Would you recommend that people spend $10 per ticket to see the fillum?

RD – I would. It’s a super fillum.

KGM – Should they also buy popcorn?

RD – Fillums are best with popcorn.

KGM – do you sometimes feel you’re as utterly awesome as the billionaire who dresses up as a robot?

RD – Yup.

KGM Mr Downey Jr, thank you for your time.

RD – next.

These people aren’t interesting, and the films they’re producing aren’t interesting. That pit of not-interestingness can (just possibly) be clambered out of by everyone involved saying something other than what they’re meant to say. Even then, it’s a long shot. Having a flounce when someone asks you to say something interesting is fine, whatever. But you stay at the bottom of the pit of not-interestingness.

fasthaggis

Looks like he got ambushed

When Robert Downey Jr’s PR man rang up asking what we wanted to talk about, we said we had no particular agenda but would ask about the new Avengers superhero movie and his recovery from jail and drug abuse to Hollywood stardom

Bad communication from his PR ,it looks like he was expecting to do a promo for the film only.

DezB
    Free Member

his recovery from jail and drug abuse to Hollywood stardom

Is that where he abused drugs and went in jail and then came back to Hollywood stardom? Musta been fascinating.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Would make a great fillum starring Robert Downey jr. Would he be able to promote it though?

DezB
    Free Member

As long as they don’t ask him about being Ironing Man

toppers3933
    Free Member

All this makes Downey jnr come across like a bit of a prick to be honest.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Krishnan getting owned by Richard Aoyade
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjC3ycS_2js[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone who doesn’t think that Murthy is a prize prick must not have seen much of the odious egomaniac.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I hate journalists that have that hard line approach to every interview.

I once watched Paxman tearing someone in the NHS a new one because response times where slightly below target. It boiled my piss! This guy works in the NHS, saving lives, and I’m sure he’s doing the best he can in a difficult job, and he has to be talked to like a piece of shite on someone’s shoe, on national TV, by a dick in a suit who’s not done any work to save peoples lives! And just let the guy answer the first **** question with being interrupted with another one, you massive dong!

They think they’re superheroes on a mission to liberate the truth from anyone silly enough to talk to them, as quickly and aggressively as possible. Self righteous, pompous bastards!

Rant over (is it home time yet? I’m bored! 😛 ).

thejesmonddingo

Wrecker +1.Rehashing Downey’s old trauma in the guise of “illuminating his current role” is twaddle.Downey did a lot of stupid things,did jail time,and has expressed his regret for his actions.AFAIK he is clean,and he probably gives himself enough grief about it ,without every twopenny-ha’penny interviewer bringing it back up.It must feel like torture,and yes,I would have walked out too.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Richard Aoyade is awesome. KGM getting totally pwned by him is very telling, shows KGM to quite clearly be a bit of a mediocre nob.

mefty
    Free Member

BD+1, I don’t think Aoyade pwned him, I just think he exposed the farcical nature of these interviews in a funny and honest way by ridiculing them.

nemesis
    Free Member

Aoyade KGM interview for anyone who hadn’t seen it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/krishnan-gurumurthy-on-richard-ayoade-interviewing-famous-people-about-their-latest-project-is-like-commuting-for-me-too-9816684.html

Regarding the OP, seemed to me like RDJ hadn’t been forewarned, was a bit bored of interviews/in a bad mood/is a grumpy chops and had a moment. He’s human isn’t he?

jimjam
    Free Member

KGM presumably gained a lot of fame / notoriety after his Tarantino debacle and he clearly revels in it.

martinhutch

Robert Downey Jr is presumably contracted to promote the film by talking about it, rather than endlessly rehashing a decade-old issue in his life.

Why they bothered inviting such a bunch of tryhards as C4 News to a pretty mundane media round robin is beyond me.

wrecker
    Free Member

KGM hit jackpot in the Michael Jackson interview and he’s been trying very hard to live up to it ever since. His problem is that in general people are a bit more aware that MJ was, so he just ends up looking like the desperate prick that he is.
    RDJ had a hard time, it was very public and I don’t fault him for getting arsey about what happened 14 YEARS AGO ago being dragged up during a promo for a film which will be mainly aimed at kids.

mefty
    Free Member

Why they bothered inviting such a bunch of tryhards as C4 News to a pretty mundane media round robin is beyond me.

Because they want the free publicity for their film, if you look at the budgets of these mega films, nearly half of the cost is publicity expenditure, free publicity is very valuable.

franksinatra

The blame here is wqith the PR people

We don’t do promotional interviews on Channel 4 News. We agree with PR people that as well as talking about a new movie for a while we want to ask wider ranging questions on relatively serious topics, and we don’t guarantee to run any answers in particular. When Robert Downey Jr’s PR man rang up asking what we wanted to talk about, we said we had no particular agenda but would ask about the new Avengers superhero movie and his recovery from jail and drug abuse to Hollywood stardom.

Well worth read KGM piece in the Guardian, sets the context very well. He wasn’t trying to trip up RDJ, if the topic was off agenda the PR people should have made that clear.

rogermoore

KGM hit jackpot in the Michael Jackson interview and he’s been trying very hard to live up to it ever since. His problem is that in general people are a bit more aware that MJ was, so he just ends up looking like the desperate prick that he is.

Are you talking about Martin Bashir?
    RM.

martinhutch

Are you talking about Martin Bashir?

Wasn’t it KGM who made Diana cry? The bastard!!!

mefty
    Free Member

Is wrecker Suzanne Evans?

Video

wrecker
    Free Member

I could have sworn it was KGM! Dammit! 😳
    I’m not Suzanne, but I am called Fellating Felicity on sundays mefty.

CountZero

These people aren’t interesting, and the films they’re producing aren’t interesting.

I’m going to see the film tonight, and RDJ is an interesting enough to bloke when I’ve read interviews where the interviewer isn’t trying to build up his own reputation, and acts like a dick.

chewkw
    Free Member

Why do they keep pronouncing his surname as Murphy instead of Muuurty?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Krishnan Guru-Murthy's interview with Robert Downey Jr.’ is closed to new replies.