Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kona Ute 2012 instability on its kickstand
  • TimP
    Free Member

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/kona/ute-2012

Anyone else have a 2012 Ute? When it is on its stand it is very unstable, to the point of one empty pannier being enough to unbalance it, which is pretty rubbish. Can anyone recommend an upgraded stand? Or have I done something silly like put the stand on backwards (well CRC and me not notice?

TimP
    Free Member

No one?

T1000
    Free Member

Have you got a steering damper, they make a massive difference, stops the steering flopping left or right and dragging the bike over

Both really useful bikes and practical cycles sell them and wider stands as well

takisawa2

Do you have the spring between the fork crown & down tube ?
    The stand does lift it quite high.
    Ours didn’t fall over, but put a bit of weight in one pannier & over it would go.
    Ace bike though. Really wish we still had one.

TimP
    Free Member

When on its stand the front wheel is off the ground and yes I have the steering spring thing in there. It seems like the stand is not wide enough as it immediately pivots on one leg as soon as it is remotely unbalanced, it is one of the 2 legged centre stands

T1000
    Free Member

have a look at (really useful bikes) website either they or practical cycles should be able to help with a wider stand

orena45

Mine did the same when I had it. The stand could have done with being wider definitely

edhornby

I have a s/h one so not sure of the year but its grey with orange bags. The kick stand does the same thing for me and the chain runs on it in the big ring, I’ve come to the conclusion that its shiiiite. I may just take it off completely..

brianp
    Free Member

I have one and the tubes of the stand are open, so when the bike is on the stand the tubes cut down through the stand rubbers. Fairly quickly cutting all the way through. This shortens the stand length and makes it more likely to topple over. Need new rubbers with a coin inside so the tubes do not cut through the rubber again. Not found rubbers that fit though. Usually walking stick rubbers too big.

davidj

Yep, same issue here. Not good with a wriggly 4 year old on the back. Otherwise it’s great. I keep meaning to find a replacement stand. Any recommendations?

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I used a Pletscher stand when I used to have a trailer bike for the kids. Worked really well but don’t know if it would work with that Kona.

downshep

The stand isn’t really broad enough for such a large bike. Even with the steering spring, it can blow over and really needs to be held at all times when loading a child onboard. The stand also folds up so high that the chain rubs off it when on the big chainring.

As others have said, Practical Cycles supply broader stands that fit the same mount. Great bike though!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kona Ute 2012 instability on its kickstand’ is closed to new replies.