Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kona Roadhouse – first ride thoughts
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Just got back from my first ride on my new Kona Roadhouse. I know there has been some chat about the Roadhouse on here, so thought people might be interested in my thoughts.

Worth pointing out that it’s the first steel bike I’ve had in about 20 years and also the first road bike I’ve ever had with wider tyres (30c Schwalbe S-Ones). I’m therefore not going to be able to compare it to other steel frames and it was obviously hard for me to tell exactly how much of the vastly different ride quality to my summer bike (a Canyon Ultimate SLX) was down to the frame design, the frame material or the wider tyres. But it was a rolling 65-mile ride, so a decent enough shakedown and certainly enough time to get a pretty good feel for it.

Also worth noting that I’m (obviously) not a bike reviewer, so may struggle to accurately describe some of what I’m trying to say, but I’ll do my best! (I also promise not to use the terms ‘body English’ or ‘flickability’.)

Quick summary: I’m absolutely delighted with it.

First, the bad. Despite being 853, the Roadhouse is no lightweight. It’s probably at least 3kg heavier than my Canyon (at least 10kg or possibly even 11kg, compared to just over 7kg) and while a lot of people say that weight doesn’t really matter, on this evidence I’d have to respectfully disagree. The bike took a lot more effort to get up to speed and was pretty hard work as soon as the roads pointed upwards. A compact chainset is a good idea.

But once at speed, it rolled along nicely. The S-Ones roll really well – I couldn’t notice any increased resistance compared to the 25c GP4000 IIs on my Canyon – and definitely smoothed out the frankly rubbish roads. It’s not like it was a magic carpet ride – I still got bashed around a bit – so if you buy them expecting miracles, you’ll be disappointed. But they really do make a big difference. They also have huge amounts of grip. Very impressive.

The overall ride quality was absolutely outstanding. I’ve never felt so immediately comfortable on a bike. It felt very composed and stable – particularly descending. It’s obviously far more relaxed than my Canyon in terms of riding position, steering response and overall road manners. I can only describe it as like the difference between a sports car and a GT car. The steering did feel a bit vague at times – compared to my Canyon, at least – but it was otherwise surprisingly sprightly. I’m not sure if that was the famous steel ‘zing’, but whatever it was, I liked it! I was a bit worried that the relaxed angles, weight and wide tyres would leave it all feeling a bit dead, but that wasn’t the case at all. There was still a lot of feedback. (If that makes sense.) It has just the right balance of stiffness and comfort.

The geometry is more upright than I’m used to, but I was still able to get low when necessary. I was perhaps slightly slower on the flat compared to the Canyon, but I suspect that is as much down to geometry and body position (and therefore wind resistance) as weight and rolling resistance.

Oh, and disc brakes are AWESOME. In all conditions – not just the wet. (It has hydraulic Ultegra.) I was slightly concerned that they might be too powerful or grabby on a road bike, but that simply wasn’t the case at all. The modulation is superb, the feel is excellent and it was really nice being able to scrub speed so easily from the hoods. Really, really good. I also found the hydraulic Ultegra hoods far more comfortable than the 105 versions, which were on a GT Grade I tested and I didn’t like at all. I got a very minor amount of rear rotor rub when really stonking it out of the saddle, but otherwise they were silent – even under heavy braking. (I also had the rear thru-axle come loose midway through the ride, but I probably just didn’t tighten it enough before I set off, as it was fine for the rest of the ride)

I plan on fitting a rack and some mudguards at some point soon (more weight…), but otherwise I wouldn’t change a thing. I even like the slightly flared bars and the cork tape, which is something I never thought I’d say.

So, a very successful first ride. I couldn’t be happier. The overall quality of the frame and finish is absolutely first-rate, too. The fillet brazing is truly beautiful. (Subjective, of course.) And the Mavic Ksyrium Elite Allroad hubs sound awesome – like angry bees – which isn’t really important but made me smile nonetheless.

Anyway, hopefully that is of some use to someone! Also happy to answer any questions, if anyone has any!

MoreCashThanDash

Great to hear that, especially about enjoying the ride despite the weight. Look cracking bikes. Last years was on my shortlist but I fell head over heels in lust with the Condor Fratello Disc at the Cycle Show.

And somewhere between London and Derby, as we speak, is a FedEx van with a big cardboard bike box in it heading my way for Monday!

kiwijohn

Come on, no pictures?

RichT

Love the look of the Roadhouse but baulked at the price. I am starting to think about replacing my Salsa Pistola with a disc road bike in steel or Ti so threads like this are really useful.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

This year’s red one heavily reduced, Google should spit some out.

It’s sufficiently heavy that the cynic in me thinks the only 853 tube is the seat tube with the sticker. The 2017 fillet brazed is very pretty but is getting into boutique pricing. Would like to see one in the ‘flesh’.

ashfanman
    Free Member

A few pics:

No idea why the last two images have rotated.

Tried to pick up some of the patina on the steel, but the photos don’t really do it justice.

(Also: yes, the sofa is purple. And I know the bottle cage doesn’t really suit the frame, but it’s all I had to hand.)

RustySpanner

Love the sofa.
    🙂

Great looking bike too.

It’s sufficiently heavy that the cynic in me thinks the only 853 tube is the seat tube with the sticker.

Says ‘tubes’ on the sticker?
    Assumed it was the three main tubes only.

thepodge
    Free Member

Very nice (bike and sofa), I’m very tempted to sell my Cotic Escapade and pick up one of the budget versions of this.

TiRed

Kona steel bikes are lovely. Really like the braising as a feature. Rode 100 km last night on my Paddy Wagon. As for 853 vs. the rest, you won’t notice the difference, it’s diameter that matters for stiffness, geometry for handling. Kona geometry is always excellent.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Assumed it was the three main tubes only.

That would make sense – the headtube and stays are noticeably darker in colour to the main triangle.

Just back from another ride on it – this time my standard quick training loop. Again, definitely noticed the extra heft, but was probably only 1-2 minutes slower over the hour, so within the margins, really. And it really is just lovely to ride. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another road bike without disc brakes – they’re so, so good.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, it’s a 61. The saddle is still that high because I’m a lanky streak (870 saddle to bb), but I prefer a decent drop from saddle to bars anyway.

As for the comments on price, yes, it was expensive, although I actually got a very decent discount as I wasn’t paying on finance or the Cycle Scheme. It was more than I originally wanted to spend (I would have been happy with 105 and some cheaper wheels), but now that I have it, I think I’d struggle to give any of it up!

ahwiles
    Free Member

…Despite being 853, the Roadhouse is no lightweight. It’s probably at least 3kg heavier

of which, no more than 700grams* is hiding in the frame.

(*i’d be surprised if it’s more than 500g)

anyway, that’s bloody gorgeous.

cokie

Gosh, that is a very good looking bike!
    Certain Konas just look so right.

I’ve got a Kona Explosif 650b in the same finish. Lovely!

ashfanman
    Free Member

of which, no more than 700grams* is hiding in the frame.

My Canyon frame weighs around 800g. I’d be surprised if the Roadhouse is less than 1.5kg. The fork will also be a fair bit heavier than the one on my Canyon.

But yes, a decent amount of the difference will be down to the wheels, tyres and disc brakes, and a bit with the finishing kit.

Weight clearly isn’t the point with a bike like this. Was merely pointing out that it does make a noticeable difference.

Will be even heavier once I stick guards, rack and panniers on it! 🙂

matt_outandabout

Thats a nice bike.

Are you Theophilous T Wildebeest?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kona Roadhouse – first ride thoughts’ is closed to new replies.