Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Kona Precept/Process – anyone got one?
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Sort of toying with the idea of getting something mid travel and no doubt lighter than my current Cove Hooker and STD. The STD weighs a freakin’ ton with DH kit and, for me, is very ‘sit down shut up and hold on’ – I love it but no way do I need 180/190mm travel at my weight and the little Hooker gets ridden far more often even though it’s set up singlespeed.

Currently looking at the Precept 120 (although those q/r forks will have to go) and the Process 134 (which looks a better buy kit-wise although I’d keep the brakes and 10 speed drivetrain from the STD).

russyh
    Free Member

I have a process 134. It’s a great bike but is turning into a ‘triggers broom’ I bought it as a cheap replacement for my spitfire as I was told by swmbo that if I wanted a fatbike I needed to fund it by selling some other bikes! So the process was bought to release funds! The standard equipment makes the bike heavy (mine is a 134a) I have since upgraded to a set of pikes, some hope enduro wheels, a better stealth routed dropped with 150 drop, xt 11 speed. I have also changed the headset to a hop flavour one as the standard loose ball thing has no place nowadays! I added a set of offset bushes to the front shock mount to help slacken it a little more and have to say I am now really happy with the bike. Sure it’s not as fast on the downs as my spitfire but I think that’s just me getting used to the different geometry. It climbs well and with the upgrades it’s under 30lbs now. I could get it down to about 28.5lbs with some changes to cranks, handle bars, stem etc. But funds are needed elsewhere currently.

It really is a great bike now, loves being in the air! The more I ride it the faster I get. The frame, bearings etc have been bullet proof so far!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers – good to hear . . . and I haven’t owned a sub 30lb bike for years.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Process 111 (the 29er one). It’s a great bike – really confidence inspiring, poppy and fun. One of things the Process range has been praised for is it’s geometry – the Precepts don’t share this.

oldfart

I’ve got a 134 DL and it’s witchcraft ! Had it just over a year , only thing I’ve changed are the wheels . I just can’t be doing with cup n cone ! Pro 2s / Arch’s have made a great bike even better , 40T ratchet has made the pick up a lot quicker and it’s brought the weight down to 30lbs . Bit disappointed that I’ve needed some new frame bearings already but that’s MTBing apparently ? Always said it’s a bike that could get me into trouble which came true recently courtesy of some off camber slimy tree roots ! Rider error not bike ! Back to the weight the design of the bike means you don’t notice it when riding and it climbs well as well .

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sounds good – got some serious thinking to do.

slackboy

Wheelbase have then on sale with 0% finance. Think the 134 is £1800

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmm, seems a bit of a lack of stock of smalls . . . may be best off waiting until the XS 134s are in stock.

leegee

I bought a 2014 134a a couple of months back and love it, I was on a 29er and wanted something more fun and nimble and in that respect I’m very happy. It doesn’t climb particularly well especially in comparison to my 29er I don’t have a shock lock out which doesn’t help.

Mine is 31.5 lbs with the stock wheels, revelation rct3’s, 1×10 and a gravity dropper. Wheel change is next.

Last years spec was nothing like this years. My theory, Kona didn’t have huge expectations to begin with and after the reviews and positive reaction increased the spec and price for 2015.

kimbers

If you can find one there’s a 134 se, specced with lighter but still tough parts, for smaller riders
    http://dirtragmag.com/trail-tested-kona-process-134-se-and-dl/

threeek
    Free Member

I have a 134DL – it’s about 1.5 years old now, and I’d definitely recommend it. I’ve put a lot of miles on it, and it’s a wonderful confident bike to ride. It feels like it will last and has taken a lot of hammering.

My riding has moved on a lot in the time that I’ve owned it and the 134 (along with some training and a lot of experience) has definitely helped, so I love mine.

mamadirt
    Free Member

kimbers, that looks awesome – the only pic I’ve managed to find of an XS and failing miserably to find anywhere here with definite stock 😐

One thing I’ve noticed, particularly for tiny folk, is that the Process frames (although appearing to have massive standover clearance) have a taller seat tube than the Precept . . . hmmmm

mamadirt
    Free Member

Bit more digging reveals the Process frames to have 650mm standover clearance (even the XS) while the Precepts have 725 . . . crosses Process off the list 😥 Damn my little legs 👿 but hey, that Stinky 2-4 looks freakin’ awesome in yellow 😛

andywoodall
    Free Member

I’ve owned both a Precept and Process (technically I haven’t actually got the Process yet as its being invisiframed but I have some time on one so stick with it).

I had a 2015 Precept DL which I tweaked a bit with new wheels, a dropper and 1x (and a few other things) and it was a great bike for the most part. My first full suss and it was a good ride, climbed well, descended great, both fun and suitable for longer rides. It was a good do it all bike.

The problem I had with mine was that although size matched to a large I found the cock pit too cramped and as I started to hit bigger downs and improve my skills I found that whatever I did I felt like I was always pitching over the bars. In hindsight I should have gone for XL, even though a test ride made me think a large would be suitable.

As it is I’ve done a frame swap for a 2016 Process and the cockpit in a large is far more suitable for my 5’11 height. Much more comfy and relaxed. Did 1500 miles on the Precept in the four months I had it and I’d recommend, but I think I’d recommend paying very close attention to the size.

Worth noting, for 2016 Kona have really expanded the Process range, originally it was two models, the very basic Precept (green in 2015) and the DL (orange in 2015). The basic bike had QR forks and the DL was reasonably equipped with Sektors, smattering of SLX parts, monarch shock and deore hubs.

I eventually pretty much stripped my Precept DL bare and used the forks, wheels, drive train and brakes on a Cotic BFe275 build for my wife and the donated bits are pretty effective and very reliable if not particularly special. The brakes in particular on the DL were adequate rather than excellent as a set of basic deore or SLX’s are.

My old Precept is currently being stripped and all my bits stuck on a Process 134 frame, I’ll let you know what I think.

The Precept range for 2016 is very interesting, the basic 120 is pretty similar to the old entry Precept (although is about 100 quid more expensive than the 2015. The 130 is roughly in line with the old DL and the 150 is new, with an improved spec.

I’d be inclined to look at 2015’s Process if you don’t want to pay for the 2016 stuff and can find one in your size (the entry level Process has only really lost a little weight and gained a lock out for the shock in the change in model years). My local LBS was doing a lovely entry Process (the blue one) for around £1900 and Wiggle have them at around £1400 (only L and M though) which is a bit of a bargain. J E James have small in stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can I join in here now?

Only had a brief ride so far but it seems to be a bike of contradictions.

Heavy as sin but pedals so good, short on travel but big on confidence.

thepodge
    Free Member

Heavy bikes aren’t hard to pedal but hard to pedal bikes are often heavy.

The process kind of ticks all the boxes for me but I just don’t like the look of it

chakaping
    Free Member

I wasn’t keen on the looks at all myself either, but it’s a very handsome bike in the flesh.

chakaping
    Free Member

First Ride: Kona Process 111 – playing the long game

First impressions very good.

🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have since upgraded to a set of pikes, some hope enduro wheels, a better stealth routed dropped with 150 drop, xt 11 speed. I have also changed the headset to a hop flavour one as the standard loose ball thing has no place nowadays! I added a set of offset bushes to the front shock mount to help slacken it a little more

😯

I am now really happy with the bike

I should hope so too 😆

mamadirt
    Free Member

Since starting the thread I’ve replaced my beast of an STD with a Bottlerocket and saved quite a few lbs so pretty sorted on the f/s front but wow, that is an amazing price! 😛

kimbers

damn, that 111 only in small, what a bargain!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Kona Precept/Process – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.