Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • kona joy
  • aw
    Free Member

Went out for a blast on my old kona cindercone (97) today around kent north downs; which is converted to SS about a year ago when the gears were shagged. The bike cost me £190 2nd hand in 1999 and is still going strong. I have been all over the north downs and south downs etc on it. It is so sweet! I want to upgrade but I am not sure what could replace it or better it.

sunchaser
    Free Member

Keep it! steel Kona of that age have a nice feel to ’em. If you feel like a change, upgrade some of the components?! wheel, tyres etc… give the old girl a new lease of life.

aw
    Free Member

I think I might just do that..modern konas don’t even come close – I had an alu one and even the new steel kona unit is not as good!

aw
    Free Member

shameless bump 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get some nice wheels, maybe a Middleburn chainset (they’re about to release an HT2-type one IIRC).

aw
    Free Member

what would you recommend (wheels)?

sunchaser
    Free Member

Something retro, maybe some mid 90’s Hope hubs etc. If I were you I’d give retrobike a try 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

I bought Hope XC front/Singlespeed disc rear built with DT spokes and Mavic rims. Lovely!

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Middleburn chainset (they’re about to release an HT2-type one IIRC).

Any more info about this?

aw
    Free Member

I need a new tensioner for my kona now…or gt the magic chain length

stuartkendall
    Free Member

Got a kona blast on its way as a 2nd bike as my gary fisher hifi is a little fragile to say the least. Hope its as good as the reviews say.

aw
    Free Member

ok here’s my kona cindercone 97 SS conversion…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Bloody hell. My little boy’s bike needs a new chain. I was going to buy one, but having seen that cindercone, can I just have the spare section out of yours instead?

Futureboy77

aw…apologies for the hijack, but i have a rather nice set of XC717/Hope Pro 2 singlespeed wheels (v or disc) for sale.

Drop me a mail if interested!

stevencro(at)gmail(dot)com

aw
    Free Member

I am interested in the wheels futureboy77…

oh BTW the chain is slack because the tensioner got wiped and I have not replaced it yet 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

How about sticking some Magura HS 33s on it?

Biffer
    Free Member

It might have been an aluminium frame but I loved my old Kula SS. In a way I wish I hadn’t replaced it with an Explosif frame but the slidey drop outs make SS so simple.

Just give the bike some love and keep it going !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘kona joy’ is closed to new replies.