• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by P20.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kona Jake series sizing
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Anyone out there 5' 7" with a 29" inseam on a kona cross bike? What size are you running? Everything seems to point me at a 49cm but I can't help think it might be too small. Will obviously try to try one on for size too, but interested in others opinions.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm 5'8 and ride a 54cm, 52 felt too small, I'd have thought a 49cm would be too small.

Spud

I had a 49cm last year, recommended by Kona. Looked tiny but fitted well. I'm 5'7 with 30" in seam.

qwerty
    Free Member

i'm 5' 7" with a 30" inside leg and ride a 49cm, i went with a Kona as it has a 53cm toptube on a 49cm frame which is ideal for my short legs and regular torso

great bike, i built mine SS and they then brought out the Major One, the Major One gets better tubes – but i've got a better spec

Travis

I'm 5"7 with a 31.. run a 52cm, sometimes find the top tube a little long. (yes I have a short stem)
    it's designed to ride on the hoods only, so watch out if you like riding on the drops (my thoughts)

westkipper
    Free Member

Usually with cross bikes you go at least one size down compared with a road bike.
    I used to have a JTS and really, really regret going with a 56 when I should have gone with a 54 (I'm 5'11)- I always felt too stretched out and the front felt way too high.

rents
    Free Member

Im 6ft and ride a 56cm JTS. its perfect!

Travis

I normally ride a 54, went down a size for the Jake, maybe another size down would be better.

I"ve turned it into my touring/hack/commute bike it's more comfortable for that, than doing XC on it

Surfr
    Free Member

Just re-measuerd and I was a little out. I'm actually 5'8" with a 30" inseam but competitive cyclist fit calculator tells me I need a shortarse top tube between 51.2cm and 52.8 which puts me on the 47cm frame!! Something isn't right is it.

This is how my 52cm Condor used to look

The reach felt ever so slightly long but would have been solvable with a shorter stem. The 52cm JTS is only 70mm longer in the top tube and would have a shorter and higher bar position. The problem is getting a ride on a specific size of frame. They seem rare in shops.

ourmaninthenorth

Holy thread resurrection…..

So, what’s the conclusion for a Jake or JTS for a 5’7″ shortarse?

Surfr
    Free Member

52 was perfect for me in the end

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers, Surfr. I’ll look at that (though it shows 53cm these days). Some cheap 2011 JTS frames on US ebay….

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and ride a 52cm with a 100mm stem (Effective TT is 54.3mm I think)

P20

5’8″ and riding a 52cm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kona Jake series sizing’ is closed to new replies.