Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kona Dawg – any good for freeride??
  • astura
    Free Member

As title, looking for a new bike, is this any good for freeride stuff or would i be better looking at the coiler??

Trekster

My old ’05 served me well in Chatel last year 😆

P1000096 by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr

I am no great hucker though, wheels tend to stay on the ground as much as possible 😉

Verbier 2005 riding a hired Coiler, fab bike and first time on a fs bike 😆

P8300033 by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr

pictonroad

I rode a Dawg for a week in Morzine, it was fine but could have done with bigger forks for the braking bumps.

I’d sell you my Dawg Deluxe, it’s perfect for your needs:

150mm Manitou Sherman bolt through forks
    Bontrager Big Earl wheels
    2.3 High Rollers,
    but

it’s a 16″ so too small for you, shame.

kimbers

yes! brilliant bikes, I love mine, been riding them for 11 years or so

what year? the 09 onwards were 6inches and 5 inches before

Keva
    Free Member

I hired a Kona Dawg once and renamed it the Kona Anvil as I figured they probably weighed about the same.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Freeride

Personally I do think they’re good bikes, having spent a week in Austria on one, but I wouldn’t say they were tough enough for what I think of as freeride.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

The coilair would be better, but had no problems with my 10 dawg in morzine last two years.

Rickos
    Free Member

What’s your definition of freeride? If you mean an Alps holiday type stuff (all mountainy/enduro) then it’ll be fine. If you mean Red Bull Rampage stuff (proper freeride) then it won’t.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mine was 100m rear and 125mm front (2004) and more a trail bike.

xiphon
    Free Member

Define “freeride”

astura
    Free Member

I am just generalising by using freeride, for my personal needs i starting to gain a fair bit of confidence at tbe local freeride park (kinver and ribbesford) and am now hitting quite a bit of stuff, but i had been doing all this on a hardtail before and especially trying to go fast over roots and and landing it has been pretty rough. I am probably only doing 4 to 5 ft drops at the mo but there is bigger stuff i want to play on and dont feel i can as need to move on a bike.

I really want an Orange bike, specifically the Patriot and i think im best holding out for one as i have ridden one before and love it.
    I suppose i was considering the dawg coiler as alternates as they are generally cheaper.

professor_fate
    Free Member

I love my ’09 Dawg. Even with the scandium frame it’s a bit of a porker but the geometry suits me fine for what i throw at it – including Alpine jaunts. I wouldn’t class it as a freeride bike, though, that’s what the Stinky was designed for – and it’s supplied with a 130/140mm fork so not quite a Patriot. Good value, mind, and not common here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kona Dawg – any good for freeride??’ is closed to new replies.