Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • knowledgeable snowboard shop people? CaptainFH S&N contacts?
  • nedrapier

all in the subject line, really! Can anyone recommend someone? Branch and a name?

Just wondering whether to go for a 156 or 160cm Powder Snake for the missus. Wouldn’t mind having a chat with someone who knows their oignons.

Ta!

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about Filarinskis on the south coast of that’s of any use to you…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you? Happy to make recommendations, but let’s start with location!

Oh, and get skis instead! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

Lahhndan. Happy enough to speak over the phone, though. I’d just like to speak to someone who knows this board, ideally ridden it, to tell me whether it rides as short as I think it might.

Cheers!

nedrapier

And I’m going to cut it in two, so it’s a step in the right direction!

nedrapier

cheers chojin, I had a check and they don’t sell this board.

GrahamS

Have you tried asking on SCUK? Some helpful folk on there.

Dark-Side

Or GoneBoarding. SS20 in Oxford are very good, they will no doubt be able to offer advice over th phone or via email.

jamiep
    Free Member

how tall and ahem heavy is she? What size does she usually ride on/off piste? 160 is long for most ladies even if it is a powder board

EDIT:
    here says watch out for the construction if you are splitting it
    http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/2012-salomon-powder-snake-used-and-reviewed/

EhWhoMe

Try Steve here http://www.sickandwrong.co.uk/
    top bloke, shop is in Keswick

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ned, in that case, try Pierre @ S&R Kensington, knows his oignoins, and will do the whole thing in French if you like! Failing that, Covent Garden always has a good bunch of guys on the board rack.

Not sure who, if any of them, will have ridden that exact board.

As Graham says, SCUK is worth a look, as is Snowheads.

nedrapier

Cheers Jamiep,

I had seen that. There’s a metal inlay in the nose that would need careful sawing, but I’ll be using a water jet cutter, so shouldn’t be an issue.

Last time out, she rode a 158 Rome anthem on piste/hardpack and really liked it. Then spent 6 days splitting in pow on an old Voile split Decision Freeride 159.

I’m thinking if you take the pointy ends of this board (which don’t really add much except for looks) you end up with a 158 anyway.

It’s rockered, so it should be more manouevreable. If it rides like a playful 158, we should be grand. My concern with the 156, is if you take the pointy ends off that, you end up with a 152, which only 2cms longer than the 152 she’s already decided is too short… but if the rocker gives more float for the length… etc!

nedrapier

And thanks CFH! Will try those guys.

(Re: thread title: not sure who S&N are? It was late!)

GrahamS

(Re: thread title: not sure who S&N are? It was late!)

Could have been worse: you could have asked Flashy for his S&M contacts.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙄

😆

GrahamS

Long list Flashy? 😀

ned: I know absolutely nothing about split boards so just curious, why buy a normal board then split it yourself rather than buying a pre-split board that was designed that way? Or is there just not a great selection of pre-split boards?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oddly, Graham, it’s only got your phone number on it.

🙂

milleboy
    Free Member

Try Steve here http://www.sickandwrong.co.uk/
    top bloke, shop is in Keswick

I am Steve!

Give me a shout if you want, email s.giles24 at btinternet.com and I’ll give you a ring.
    IMO I wouldn’t split a powder snake, way, way to soft! Sorry. But we sell all the split kits and skins and stuff.

Hope that helps

Steve

jamiep
    Free Member

nedrapier
    Cheers Jamiep,

Last time out, she rode a 158 Rome anthem on piste/hardpack and really liked it. Then spent 6 days splitting in pow on an old Voile split Decision Freeride 159.

It’s rockered, so it should be more manouevreable. If it rides like a playful 158, we should be grand. My concern with the 156, is if you take the pointy ends off that, you end up with a 152, which only 2cms longer than the 152 she’s already decided is too short… but if the rocker gives more float for the length… etc!

I’m 5’8″ 63kg. My boards are getting smaller. Used to ride 156, then 152. I was away a fortnight ago, riding powder the whole time on a 148 rocker freestyle board. No issues with sinking. In fact, lots of fun all the way.

Have a look at the nose shape. Some rocker shapes are a bit square (kinda the end squared off) rather than the traditional rounded shaped – means that they ride like they are about 4-6cm longer than they are (if you get what I mean).

nedrapier

jamie, this is the opposite, pointy not square!

Thanks Steve, email on the way!

GrahamS

Oddly, Graham, it’s only got your phone number on it.

Yes. Sorry Sir. 😳

I am Steve!

This is why I love STW (sometimes) 😀

nedrapier

Graham – because I’m cheap! the set-ups available in teh UK are most commom backcountry length – 163/164, and ordering from teh states canada is v spendy with shipping and taxes.

plumber
    Free Member

Powder – burton fish
    anything else – bureton custom
    for everything Burton Malolo

passtherizla
    Free Member

plumber – Member
    Powder – burton fish
    anything else – bureton custom
    for everything Burton Malolo

other makes are available… 😉

Signal OG gets my vote for everything. Pow, rails, kickers and normal hooning about. I’ve never got on with Reverse Camber myself. Flat Camber however 🙂

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/snowboards/signal/800653/og-11_12

milleboy
    Free Member

We stock splits down to 154.

By the time you buy a Snake, the split kit and the skins you’ll be getting pretty close.
    Also, some DIY splits don’t last, they boards where never designed to be cut in two, and have no inside edge. A great plan if you’ve an old board kicking about, but splitting a new one can be risky.

Drop me a line

Steve

nedrapier

Line dropped, Steve. I tried you on the shop number, but you’re not in.

You’d know that already though.

stevomcd
    Free Member

ned, I’d agree with Steve, buying a new board to split it isn’t the best plan. Performance both up and down will be compromised compared to a proper splittie.

By the way, I was talking (in a very confused manner) to someone in the pub in Sainte Foy the other day. I will concede that I didn’t quite figure out what he was saying, but it was definitely something about “Ed Rapier”. To be fair to myself, the Ed bit confused me and I thought he was talking about a guy I know who is an instructor up in Tignes.

Was this:

a) You
    b) Someone you know
    c) None of the above

nedrapier

stevo, I have no idea!

My real life name is Ed Napier, I know an instructor in VD called Steve Angus, and I have a couple of northern friends in Sainte Foy at the moment called Julia and Warwick. I’ve not been anywhere in the Tarentaise since 2001.

Does that fill in any gaps, or create more gaps!?

nedrapier

Hmmm. Had a bit of crisis of confidence for a while, but back on track!

Loads of shreddin’ pros have ridden sketch stuff on DIY splits – Most of the guys in Deeper were on solid boards self-split (or by someone else), and it’s a pretty standard thing to do. You lose some stiffness, sure, but as long as you choose a stiffer to start with…

The inner edge isn’t a massive deal, anyway. She’ll have “ski” crampons for the icier stuff, and the big impacts are going to be on the outside edges on the way down, not on the way up.

And although I’d accept the point that the shreddin’ pro’s are less bothered about longevity, I doubt they’d be taking on lines like this on a board they weren’t 100% confident in:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMIJWpImsgM[/video]

Still need to find the right board, though. Point taken about the Powder Snake being soft, Steve. And I’m still interested in having a chat about the Mojo RXs you have.

milleboy
    Free Member

No problem!

Give me a shout anytime, you’ve got my numbers.

Steve

nedrapier

only got your work no. They said you weren’t in until Thursday. nother email with my mob. on it’s way.

Ta!

Digby

nedrapier – any update on your planned AK trip?

not sure if this helps much but I demo’d a K2 Panoramic 162 splitboard whilst I was out in Fernie and was pretty impressed:

Not as stiff (or heavy) as my Jones Solution [168W]. bit softer in the nose; but was pretty solid in both powder and mixed conditions.

Big plus point is the skin system – the board comes with the K2 skins that clip in seconds to a hole in the nose and tail of the board meaning that the transition from touring to riding is minimal fuss.

Jones Hovercraft is also available as a split if that helps any?

nedrapier

not going. too many other things, including a knackered knee that’s kept me off the bike since new year.

I feel genuine sickness and major anguish knowing I’m not going. Can’t quite accept it. Arg. Not helping that a friend who’s just signed up is unbelievably excited and can’t stop talking about it!

How are the Norway plans coming on? Pre-breakfast ironman 3 times a week?

Digby

nedrapier – Really sorry to hear that – what a shame 🙁

Will there be other opportunities like this?

Hope the knee heals quickly. Nothing too serious I hope.

Norway plans are going ok ta. After a month riding in Fernie the legs are feeling stronger.
    Took my kahtoola microspikes with me so went running on Saturdays instead of riding the ski hill thereby avoiding any Calgary crowds.

Did some splitboarding and a fair bit of hiking (mainly the lizard face and the top of Cedar Bowl when they opened).

Back in the UK now so out on the bike etc – not quite pre-breakfast ironman … more like mid-morning tin-man or bacofoil-boy! 🙂

nedrapier

A month in Fernie and 2 weeks in Norway? Well done that man. I’d love to know how you swing that!

Other cool trips will come up, yes. Not many of them with film crews, sponsorship kit and the best Alaskan snowpack in years, though. Pfff…

I’m now getting excited about 2 weeks in France in April with the lovely lady. 5 days hut-to-hut touring in the Vanoise National Park with a bunch of friends, then 10 days staying with a couple of friends in Chamonix for some chilled out double date touring. Gran Paradiso maybe. Maybe steeps if the ladies fancy a break. Mont Blanc’s still there…

Generally, a more appropriate trip for the year we get married than me pissing off to Alaska on my own for 3 weeks!

And thanks all for advice. I spoke to the knowledgeable Steve at Sick and Wrong. Very nice chap, knows his onions. Hopefully sending him some money in exchange for shiny stuff some time soon!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Ed – I was thinking about Gran Paradiso in late April myself. Got an email from your mate chatting about your Vanoise trip too.

Mont Blanc? Got that T-shirt… 😉

nedrapier

Really, which mate was that?

While you’re on, what’s accommodation going to be like in Sainte Foy over the Easter weekend? Is it a big holiday weekend, or outside peak?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Closer analysis reveals that the mystery emailer was, in fact, you… 😳

Still no idea who I was chatting to in the pub though.

Accom in Sainte Foy over Easter will be easy enough to find, will be mid-price. Second week much cheaper than the first.

BTW, I asked at TipTop in Bourg if they have or know-of any splits to hire, no joy.

Cougar

Probably one to avoid.

http://www.27bslash6.com/f4s.html

nedrapier

I wondered if it might have been me, could think of anyone else who would have emailed you!

based on Zero G’s rates, hiring is expensive! About the same as building a DIY with a decent 2nd hand board. And there are some great deals out there for factory splits (re: the aforementioned money/stuff swap).

Is there anywhere you’d recommend for just Friday and Saturday nights?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘knowledgeable snowboard shop people? CaptainFH S&N contacts?’ is closed to new replies.