Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Know the Ullapool area?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Staying up there in a few weeks and was looking at Google Earth. Does anyone know the surface of the tracks that r from Lechmelm. One heads to Ullapool eventually and the other shoots off into the hills up Strath Nimhe. That one looks to be vehicular but not graded gravel judging by the grass strip up the middle. In Wales that would mean it was just carved flat but not surfaced. Looking for CX bike suitable routes.

scotroutes

The track up Glen Achall would mostly go on a CX bike though the climb up past the farm at the end would likely be a push.

The bottom bit of Inverlael (starting at the old Schoolhouse) would be fine though it deteriorates once you start heading towards the munros.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta. Sorry but you have lost me a bit. Only got an OS map in front of me and can only see Glen Achall.

Spin
    Free Member

The Strath Nimhe route would be ok on the crosser there are a couple of rougher bits but most of it is well surfaced. You can add a bit of interest by going over Ullapool hill at the end.

epicyclo

Scotroutes is the expert, so I’ll give a more general answer.

Before mtbs most of the estate tracks in the Highlands were being ridden regularly by people on dropbar racers (usually fixed with tubs in my day) and RSF types, so I wouldn’t expect any problem other than a few short bits better walked for the sake of your rims, or too steep for traction.

Basically if they can get a Landrover or quad in there, and the track isn’t overgrown with heather (fatbike time), you can ride just about any bike IME.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Old estate roads are usually fine, its the newer stuff with whopping great lumps of gravel that are a pain to ride.
    Ridden plenty of the stalkers paths etc so was wondering specifically abut these two. Ta

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Know the Ullapool area?’ is closed to new replies.